Wiki Posts
Search

1 year return ticket? Do these exist?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 24, 2014, 8:21 am
Original Poster

1 year return ticket? Do these exist?

Hi everyone,
Thanks for your help in advance. I'm moving to Brazil for 2 yrs and would like to purchase round trip flight that departs in July 2014 and returns July 2015 so I can come visit. Is that possible? No search site allows me to book a return after April 2015. Should I just wait to book my flight until June so that I can book a June 2015 return? Any help or tips on cheapest way to do this would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,
Wheezy
Old Apr 24, 2014, 11:14 am

Programs: AA, UA, WN, HH, Marriott
Most airlines only sell seats up to 330 days in advance. Your alternative would be to buy a 1-way ticket for your initial move and then buy a roundtrip ticket starting in Brazil for your visit.
Old Apr 24, 2014, 12:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS, AA, UA, AGR S (former 75K, GLD, 1K, and S+, now an elite peon)
Originally Posted by JerryFF
Most airlines only sell seats up to 330 days in advance. Your alternative would be to buy a 1-way ticket for your initial move and then buy a roundtrip ticket starting in Brazil for your visit.
One-way flights to South America seem to be spendy--almost the cost of a round-trip.

One option is to book a round-trip and push the return date to as far into the future as you can go. Then, at some point after August, change the ticket to the following July--most tickets are (AFAIK) good for one year after date of travel, so if you book a return flight now for travel next March (2015), you would technically have until March of 2016 to use the value of the ticket.

There will be a change fee for this (varies depending on the carrier), but even with a $300 change fee, the total savings is probably cheaper than booking two one-ways or possibly even one one-way and a later round-trip. Just an idea, anyway. Check that this is possible before committing to my advice, though!
Old Apr 27, 2014, 9:19 am

Originally Posted by jackal
One-way flights to South America seem to be spendy--almost the cost of a round-trip.
You can typically buy a 1 way ticket from a consolidator for a little more than half of a roundtrip. Check the travel section of the local Sunday paper or one of the online cnsolidators.
Old Apr 28, 2014, 12:27 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by JerryFF
You can typically buy a 1 way ticket from a consolidator for a little more than half of a roundtrip. Check the travel section of the local Sunday paper or one of the online cnsolidators.
However, many FF programs don't give full or even many miles credit for consolidator tickets. Check this carefully before booking if it could matter for you.
Old Apr 29, 2014, 8:46 am

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
However, many FF programs don't give full or even many miles credit for consolidator tickets. Check this carefully before booking if it could matter for you.
^
Old Apr 29, 2014, 11:11 am

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Many do - and many check tickets also don't receive FF miles (or only 25% e.g.).

I would suggest contacting a TA if you want to buy a regular ticket. Some airlines have 365 day validity from date of booking, others from travel date - so it varies. Some allow booking 330 days out (all US carriers) - others up to 365 days - so that also factors into it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.