Community
Wiki Posts
Search

new to international travel

Search this Thread

Old Apr 17, 2014, 8:14 am
Original Poster

new to international travel

I have recently accepted a position with the company that involves about 6 trips per year to Africa and Asia. I also have a few US flights. I make all of my own arrangements and am free to earn whatever perks are available. I am leaning on using perks for upgrades as I rarely fly for personal trips. I am looking for some guidance on getting the most value I can from flights to hotels. Thoughts on expedia, etc. best programs for hotels and FF. Thanks
Old Apr 17, 2014, 8:36 am

Programs: US Airways - Chairman, Delta - Platinum, Marriott - Platinum, Hilton - Diamond, SPG - Platinum
Thats a loaded question. To start, it would be helpful to know where you would be flying out of and specifically what locations if you would be traveling to (if you know that).

As for what programs to use, theres no right answer. You may want to browse the individual program forums to get more information on each and see which one is right for you.
Old Apr 17, 2014, 9:26 am

Programs: AA Plat, HH Diamond, SPG Gold
Welcome to FlyerTalk!

As pointed out by englert, other FTers will be best able to help you if they know which airport the majority of your flights will originate from. Please look at this post for a guide on updating your profile to indicate your home airport or city, and list the programs you already belong to, if any.

Also, you might want to explore some of the resources provided in the Wikipost at the top of http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/infor...-wikipost.html including http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/infor...help-here.html and http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/infor...-programs.html

Good luck!
Old Apr 17, 2014, 9:27 am

Originally Posted by dwn31
I have recently accepted a position with the company that involves about 6 trips per year to Africa and Asia. I also have a few US flights. I make all of my own arrangements and am free to earn whatever perks are available. I am leaning on using perks for upgrades as I rarely fly for personal trips. I am looking for some guidance on getting the most value I can from flights to hotels. Thoughts on expedia, etc. best programs for hotels and FF. Thanks
6 TATL/TPAC trips per year is definitely enough to earn mid-level status on almost any airline. Probably not top tier though you should maybe do the math because it depends. You should definitely shop around which ones have the perks you want because they vary heavily. If you want international upgrades at mid-tier then there are definite differences.

Note that you may not have much choice. Afaik most North American based fliers who fly to Africa end up on Delta because it's the one with the most flights to Africa
Old Apr 18, 2014, 10:04 am

Originally Posted by zkzkz
Afaik most North American based fliers who fly to Africa end up on Delta because it's the one with the most flights to Africa
That's because a big fraction of business in Africa happens in the parts where Delta's partners fly (KLM, Kenya Airways, etc).
It still boils down to where in Africa you expect to go. Elsewhere, British Airways out of LHR has many destinations. If you're heading to French speaking Africa or South Africa a lot, Star Alliance becomes a major player with Brussels Airlines and South African.
If you need to go between Africa and Asia, destination information becomes really important.
Old Apr 22, 2014, 8:44 am
Original Poster

Thanks for the response(s). Unfortunately the nearest airport to me is in Sioux Falls, SD. I live in a very rural area. I usually fly from Sioux Falls to Minneapolis or Chicago.
Old Apr 22, 2014, 10:24 am

Originally Posted by dwn31
Thanks for the response(s). Unfortunately the nearest airport to me is in Sioux Falls, SD. I live in a very rural area. I usually fly from Sioux Falls to Minneapolis or Chicago.
Sioux Falls (FSD) is represented by all three major global alliances-- Delta (Skyteam), American (OneWorld) and United (StarAlliance). So far so good. The only trick with FSD is that it gets served by smaller aircraft. They might get packed full, and if one gets cancelled, you'll be waiting for a while for the next available seat.

Otherwise, can you tell us what your international destinations might be?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.