Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Advice on connection for international flight

Search this Thread

Old Apr 10, 2014, 5:56 pm
Original Poster

Advice on connection for international flight

Going LAX to PPT 12/28 (~11 p.m. departure) on QF (using AA miles) and my girlfriend is meeting me in LAX from CLE then onward on the same international flight.

She'd likely arrive on a different carrier. We want to have her arrive in LAX a day earlier on the 27th anyway just in case. We're pretty risk adverse as it is, and we really don't want her to miss the international flight. Given all that, would a flight for her to arrive in LAX on the early side of 12/27 have a chance at mucking things up? Specifically worried about winter weather, but I suppose anything else (like a holiday backlog?) would also be of concern.

Still pretty new to the site so thought I'd ask in this forum.
Old Apr 10, 2014, 6:01 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Owner, Green Bay Packers
You can never be 100% certain, but planning to arrive 36 hours early gives you a whole lot of wiggle room for any possible problems. I'd be comfortable with doing it this way. She could watch weather advisories and get out of CLE early if there are any upcoming storms.

Have fun in Tahiti! It's great.
Old Apr 11, 2014, 12:58 am

I agree with Doc. You never know about weather, but that's a pretty big head start. Even if weather looks bad, airlines now are anxious to reroute people ahead of time so maybe you could cancel early and find another route in the worst case scenario.

I wouldn't think a holiday backlog would mess things up.

Sounds like you are giving yourself lots of time and are prepared for anything. Have a great trip.
Old Apr 11, 2014, 3:12 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Check the AA, QF, and oneworld rules about IROPs connection protection even if using separate tickets. IIRC they're officially nicer about this than other carriers/alliances.
Old Apr 11, 2014, 10:53 am

Programs: DL PM, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold, AmExPlat
QF doesn't fly from LAX-PPT; are you on a TN or AF codeshare flight?

Your plan sounds good; except for the possibility of a raging winter storm getting to LAX, your girlfriend should be fine arriving the day before your flight.
Old Apr 11, 2014, 11:39 am

Of course the only wrinkle is that if the flight leaving the day earlier is hosed, you might not be able to get on the other flight as they may be booked up...You never really know unfortunately. Though, earlier is better I suppose.

Just as an FYI, google maps puts this at a 34 hour drive
Old Apr 11, 2014, 1:03 pm
Original Poster

Thanks, all -- this is good stuff. Also, I was mistaken - the flight's TN and not QF.

I'll check the IROPs rules. Will probably book her on an early flight the day before either on AA or WN because of the no-fee changes.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.