Wiki Posts
Search

Just getting going...seeking advice

Search this Thread

Old Feb 28, 2014, 8:49 am
Original Poster

Programs: AmEx Platinum MR, Delta, Southwest, UA, AA
Just getting going...seeking advice

I'm just getting going on my miles extravaganza. My goal is to finish collecting a bunch over the next year in order to afford a bunch of vacations while in business school soon after. Is that a good goal?

Here's where I stand now (not terrible, I think?):

170k Amex
82k Chase
19k Southwest (spent about 80k on ski trips this winter)
52k Delta (planning to redeem for 1st class saver trip somewhere across country)
110k AAdvantage

and 3K United, US Airways, and Jetblue. So in addition to general advice, my one other question is if there's any way to redeem those 9k miles that are spread out because I don't think I'll end up with a sizable amount at any of those airlines. Can I get gift cards?
Old Feb 28, 2014, 9:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry: BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.601 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/417)

US Airways miles are expected to eventually become AA miles, so as long as your US miles do not expire before then, you'll have 3K more AA miles.

Chase UR points can be converted to UA miles. And I believe that Amex MR points can be converted to JetBlue True Blue points. Whether it's worth you while to do either of those conversions is another matter.
Old Feb 28, 2014, 11:33 am

I, too, am just getting started in this hobby, but I don't have nearly the points collection you do. The best advice I've been given so far is to set your travel goals and work from there. I have a goal to travel Europe for a month, so I am saving up points to fly the airline that I want to fly (AA) and hotel points for IHG because they have properties in every city that I want to see. The more specific your goal, the better advice you'll get on the forums here because there is someone here that has done what you want to do, possibly with nothing but points.

With your random 9k points, I'd see if the points programs have the ability to donate miles to charity if you don't think you'll ever use them, and hold on to the US miles, those will come in handy when they merge the US/AA programs.
Old Mar 2, 2014, 5:55 pm

It's generally a bad deal to use miles for gift cards and things.

Since you have a nice stockpile of Chase UR, leave your United miles alone. You might want to transfer some UR to United eventually for an award flight. They still have some great values despite the recent devaluation.

Leave your US Airways miles alone as well. Those will in all likelihood become AA miles.

As for JetBlue, a short flight from LA to SF will cost you 5,000 points. If you ever need a short flight somewhere, transfer some AMEX MR to JetBlue to cover the cost.

Don't transfer the AMEX MR until you're ready to book a flight on JetBlue. And only transfer the minimum you need to. There are some better uses of AMEX MR than redeeming on JetBlue.
Old Mar 2, 2014, 6:14 pm

Programs: UA Gold, HH Diamond, Marriott Gold
Don't forget that miles expire. So, if you want to keep your miles alive, check the expiration dates and plan a way to keep them alive. (IIRC, Delta doesn't expire.) Any use in or out will generally work.

As mleyd said, get a plan and work it. Where do you want to go? What is the best way (in terms of miles) to get there. Don't forget that Chase (and maybe Amex, but I don't know for sure) will transfer to hotels.

I'm chasing status on airlines, so I'm using points mostly for hotels. But there, you also have to plan and know the value of the points. I'm desperately collecting HHonors points for a vacation in the Seychelles, but I was on a trip to Oman and rooms at the Hilton were $200 a night but only 5k points. So I burned my points because it was a huge benefit.

I am kicking myself for not using Chase points to book Iceland Air for a trip I'm taking this week. I don't think Chase points for air is great (transferring to United is generally a better deal) but I could have gone for free and wound up paying $1300 for air. Oh well. That's how you learn.

Read flyer talk. Read all the threads (if time is important, skip Omni). But have a plan or at least an idea.
Old Mar 3, 2014, 6:43 am

Programs: American, Delta, JetBlue, United
Originally Posted by manneca
Don't forget that miles expire. So, if you want to keep your miles alive, check the expiration dates and plan a way to keep them alive. (IIRC, Delta doesn't expire.) Any use in or out will generally work.

As mleyd said, get a plan and work it. Where do you want to go? What is the best way (in terms of miles) to get there. Don't forget that Chase (and maybe Amex, but I don't know for sure) will transfer to hotels.

I'm chasing status on airlines, so I'm using points mostly for hotels. But there, you also have to plan and know the value of the points. I'm desperately collecting HHonors points for a vacation in the Seychelles, but I was on a trip to Oman and rooms at the Hilton were $200 a night but only 5k points. So I burned my points because it was a huge benefit.

I am kicking myself for not using Chase points to book Iceland Air for a trip I'm taking this week. I don't think Chase points for air is great (transferring to United is generally a better deal) but I could have gone for free and wound up paying $1300 for air. Oh well. That's how you learn.

Read flyer talk. Read all the threads (if time is important, skip Omni). But have a plan or at least an idea.
One of the easiest ways to keep miles from expiring is to register a credit card in dining programs and then eat in a participating restaurant. Any card can be used, but the same card cannot be registered in more than one program at a time. Most plans offer a welcome bonus if you complete a short profile and then fulfill certain conditions, but even without the bonus each dine resets the clock as far as expiration of miles is concerned.
Old Mar 3, 2014, 6:50 pm

Seeing as you don't have that many miles, I wouldn't waste your Delta points on a domestic flight. Suck it up and fly coach. Or not, just my opinion.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.