Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Information Desk
Reload this Page >

Which Frequent Flyer Program to Join? Help Is Here!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 24, 2014, 12:34 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Mwenenzi
Before posting please read POSTS 1-3 for a comprehensive overview of how to select a program.
If you already plan to focus on one particular alliance, please visit the sticky in the relevant forum: Deciding on a oneworld FFP or Which SkyTeam FFP or Choosing a Star FFP

List of frequent flyer programs from Wikipedia

Questionnaire: Copy and paste into your post
Provide the requested information.

1. What is most important to you in a frequent flyer program (FFP)?
upgrades, priority services, baggage allowance, good award redemption rates, better award access, lounge access, etc.
>>> Reply:

2. How many miles do you usually fly each year? How many flights/sectors?
less than 25000 miles, 50000+ miles and 20-25 flights, etc.
>>> Reply:

3. What fare class do you usually buy?
first, business, premium economy, economy
>>> Reply:

4. Are you able to choose your airlines and/or class of service? Do you travel for work and/or pleasure?
>>> Reply:

5. Which routes do you fly most often?
transatlantic, domestic USA, intra-Asia, etc.
>>> Reply:

6. What is your home airport?
>>> Reply:

7. Do you have status in any FFP? What is it? How miles do you have banked in each FFP, if any?
>>> Reply:

8. What are your preferred airlines, if any?
>>> Reply:
Print Wikipost

Which Frequent Flyer Program to Join? Help Is Here!

Search this Thread

Old Jan 22, 2017, 3:55 pm

Programs: AA EXP & million miler
AA or UA, govt flyer

upgrades, priority services, baggage allowance, good award redemption rates, better award access, lounge access, etc.
>>> Reply: Long-haul upgrades (best miles+copay possibilities)

>>> Reply: 50k+ typically 30 segments and 70k-100k miles. NOTE: am able to generate ~$30k in credit card spend/year.

>>> Reply: Y: Gov't fares + personal Y + a few MR's when close to new tier

4. Are you able to choose your airlines and/or class of service? Do you travel for work and/or pleasure?
>>> Reply: mostly work, fly out of ORD so able to choose AA or UA reliably

>>> Reply: ORD- Europe/Japan/Deep South America (and then ORD-DCA/TYS/ect.

>>> Reply: ORD

7. Do you have status in any FFP? What is it? How miles do you have banked in each FFP, if any?
>>> Reply: 10 years alternating PLT and EXP on AA, currently what will be Plt Pro. Have 200k miles on AA, about 70k on UA (and no status), 130k Avios, then 60k TY points and 80k Amex.

>>> Reply: It's going to be either UA or AA.

QUESTION: Any gov't flyers can confirm UA YCA fares still book in Y/B (and thus eligible for the cheaper mileage/copay upgrades?
Old Jan 24, 2017, 11:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold, HH Diamond, National Emerald Executive, TSA Disparager Gold
I could use some input

Hey all,

I'm starting the beginning of the year, more or less clean. I still have AA PLT status, and my AC membership is expired. Given that my business travel is going to be starting as early as next week, I should probably start thinking about it.

So onto the questionnaire:

>>> Reply: I'd say service and upgrades come first. I've been an elite on UA, US, and AA and I enjoy the perks that come with it. Baggage allowance is helpful when I travel with my family, and depending on whether I'm long haul for 2 weeks. I'm willing to buy a lounge membership, and have for the last several years.

>>> Reply: It varies, but usually no less thank 50k, averaging around 75k. I have hit 100k levels in the past (been UA 1K and US CP).

>>> Reply: For work, I usually fly refundable economy due to my clients' scheduling is fluid. Internationally, I'll typically buy flexible C or F, depending on price, and sometimes I can get my company to spring for it if it's cheaper than Y. However, company policy is generally Y. I'm also limited to US flag carriers, but codeshares with foreign partners are ok.

>>> Reply: I have flexibility to choose my airlines but for work, I'm limited to US flag carriers or codeshares, unless otherwise unavailable. I'll buy up to a flexible C/F fare on my own dime if the cost isn't too bad. For personal travel, I'm free to do whatever. I typically buy the cheapest on my preferred airline if I'm taking the whole family. If it's just me and the Mrs, I'll look at F fares as well.

>>> Reply: Domestic: All over. Up and down the east coast, Texas/Arizona, west coast.

International: Mostly Korea and Japan for Asia. Germany/UK for Europe.

>>> Reply: BWI - very close to my house. I avoid IAD like the plague and DCA would take a significant cost savings for me to consider. I may consider IAD for a TATL though.

>>> Reply: Currently AA PLT. Have over 250k miles banked. A few left from burning on UA. None anywhere else.

>>> Reply: I've flown UA nearly exclusively from 2005-2012 - until SMI/J really started putting the screws to "over entitled" elites. Jumped to US and have been there thru the conversion to AA.

Other info: I can't say I'm married to AA. If another carrier can status match and offer a better value for my needs, I'm willing to jump. Overall, I think UA's network works best for me, but with it getting damn near impossible to upgrade (so I read), I at least like that I have a pretty good shot getting upgraded on AA (though that may change this year). I'm a bit afraid to go back to UA - the CO-ification after SMI/J really turned me off. *A has more airlines I want to fly than any other alliance.

DL - I hear good things about it, and their network would largely work for me too. Of course, there's the Sky Pesos thing, I hear upgrades are hard, and they treat a lot of their ST partners outside of AF/KL like red headed step children (KE comes to mind).

I can't do any cobranded CC's at this time either.

Lounge access/membership has been very much worth it (had both AC and RCC/UC memberships in the past), and that's one of my big reasons against kayaking at the moment.

Any thoughts?

Thanks!
Old Jan 28, 2017, 6:37 pm

Answers to frequent flyer questions, intro for new member

Hi, all. First, really happy to be here. Long time lurker, and first time poster. I live in Asia, and fly several hundred thousand miles per year. I usually travel and holiday in Africa, SE Asia, the Pacific Islands and Beijing and Shanghai.

(1) What is most important to you in a FFP?
Upgrades, ability to get free flights, ability to book flights with ease and not worry about blackout dates, and the ability to visualise my flights and see where I can sit. I'm also really interested to know more about how I can find the right mileage program that has the right amount of consistent partners in Asia. One of the issues with Asia carriers and Asia Miles right now is that you can get really good business flights regionally, but that's because the local legacy carriers are way too expensive (Singapore and Cathay). But then if you choose the Middle East Airlines that fly to Thailand and other parts of Asia, on their way to the ME, you lose the ability to add miles to One World Alliance partnerships and to Asia Miles. Typically, Emirates is cheaper than Qatar, but Qatar is the only one you can add miles to Asia Miles with.

(2) How many miles do you usually fly each year & in what class? How many flights/sectors?
(<25000, 25000-50000, >50000 miles - <25, 25-50, >50 flights?)
Reply: Typically fly over 200,000 miles in a mix of economy and premium economy. Occasionally I am bumped up to a free spot on business on trans-pacific flights on Cathay, I think because I fly them so often for work and holidays in Asia.

(3) What types of fares do you usually buy ?

Reply: When work pays, I usually fly premium. Normally, I will fly economy for cheap rates, but I am looking to augment this process by flying some cheap business routes HKG-BKK and HKG-JKT, etc.

(4) Can you choose your airlines and/or class of service? Airline most flown? Do you travel for work and/or pleasure?
Reply:Most flown is Cathay and Cathay Dragon; with Korean, Garuda, and Qatar and KLM randomly (Singapore to Bali, mostly).

(5) Which routes and airlines do you fly most often

Reply: HKG - JFK and BOS and SFO. And all of my flights are international, because it's Hong Kong. I fly Cathay; KLM (SIN-DPS); Garuda (HKG-JKT); Korean (HKG-INC), etc.

(6) What is your home airport?

Reply:HKG

(7) Do you have FFP status of any kind in an airline? What is it? Do you have any miles banked in a FFP?

Reply: Status on Cathay, but just barely, since they changed the rules. I used to have status on BA, but I never fly to London or South Africa anymore.
(8) Preferred Airlines
Reply: Singapore; Cathay; KAL; JAL; Qatar; and Etihad
Old Jan 30, 2017, 7:23 am

Programs: KLM
(upgrades on travel, priority services when flying the airline, extra baggage allowance, good award redemption rates, better award access, free - discounted lounge access, etc.)
Reply: The most important part for me is leveling up to get lounge access due to the amount of time I spend in airports working and in transit, next would be award miles that I can use for personal travel.

(2) How many miles do you usually fly each year & in what class? How many flights/sectors?
Based on last year I flew 25 trips all within Europe. This year I will be flying about the same amount or more, but much more long haul routes (all based from Amsterdam to AUS and US)

Reply:
(First, Business, Premium economy, Economy, cheapest)
Reply: Economy/Premium Economy

(4) Can you choose your airlines and/or class of service? Airline most flown? Do you travel for work and/or pleasure?
Reply: Travel for work. I have some choice with who I fly with, I mainly choose KLM

(US Domestic, Transpacific, Kangaroo, in Asia etc)
Reply: Europe inter Europe. Europe to Australia, Europe to US. Internal Australian flights
(SFO, SCL, London LHR, HKG, Singapore SIN etc.)
Reply:
Schipol, Amsterdam AMS
(7) Do you have FFP status of any kind in an airline? What is it? Do you have any miles banked in a FFP?
(AA Executive Platinum, UA 1K, LAN Comodoro, etc)
Reply: No my previous ones have expired and last year my flights were all mixed.
(8) Preferred Airlines
Reply: KLM, Virgin Australia, Qantas, Etihad, China Southern

Further detail:

First some facts to help

- Home airport Schipol, Amsterdam

- Travel regions
  • Australia (including 6 internal flights in Australia * 2 times this year planned already)
  • London all airports, regularly
  • Scotland
  • Various Scandinavian locations regular
  • U.S (New Orleans and DC) - Semi Regularly

- Aim is mainly lounge access and level miles.
- Travel Class Economy/Premium Economy

So over the last year I spend most of my travel around europe and so just stayed with KLM skyteam as that is the main airline I fly with. This year I have changed roles and will be doing a lot more long haul and international flights.

With the long haul I want to make sure I am getting maximum points both level and reward and preferably under a single program so that I am not spreading thinly. I already have 2 flights under KLM this year completed but I guess it may make more sense to abandon them.

I have a trip in early February to go from AMS to Australia, once in Australia I have to fly Syd >> Brisbane >> Melbourne >> Perth >> Syd >> Auckland >> Syd >> Amsterdam

Now if I stay with KLM I can get my flights through AMS >> SYD >> AMS under my KLM skyteam but I would waste all those internal flights in Australia.

The only benefit of being in KLM skyteam is they are based out of my home airport other than that I think I could get maximum benefit and lounge access more quickly using something like Delta instead (Delta and Virgin have a partnership AFAIK).

So what I am looking for is based on my habit, my upcoming travel this year (Confirmed 2* trips to Australia, U.S * 2 and regional European travel) which would be the best reward program for me?

Stay with KLM?
Move to Delta?
Choose some other option?

Thank you in advance and please feel free to ask me any further clarifications.

Dan
Old Jan 30, 2017, 10:05 am

Programs: Virgin Australia Gold
BA or SWISS? Frequent LON-ZRH

Hi All,

Need some advice for frequent work trips around Europe.

Lounge access, better award access and award redemption rates are a huge plus.

Fly LON-ZRH once a month with regular trips around Europe and Middle East, unsure of exact milage details

Either Economy flex tickets or Business if travelling to Middle East.

Travel for work mainly but also once a year travel to SYD for pleasure. Can choose airlines for work and class of service.

Europe (UK-Switzerland)

LGW or LHR

Gold in Velocity [Virgin Australia] (102,000 miles) / Alitalia FRECCIA ALATA CLUB (Status Match)

None really, just looking for the best FFP for my work needs and to get the best value.

Thanks! ^
Old Jan 31, 2017, 6:31 am

Programs: *QANTAS - Platinum/Lifetime Gold *KLM - Platinum *Virgin - Gold *Etihad - Gold
Lightbulb Best FF Program

Hi there,

I just posted in the QF forum as I am at a bit of a crossroads (http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/qanta...-qf-aa-ff.html).

Would love some advice on what you think the best program would be for me.

(2) What is most important to you in a FFP?
Priority service
Upgrades
Good award redemption rates
Lounge access

I guess around 150k miles?

~15 round-trip business class tickets Europe to USA
~10 round-trip economy class tickets within Europe
~2 round-trip business class tickets Europe to Australia

(3) What types of fares do you usually buy?
Business class long-haul, economy class short-haul

(4) Can you choose your airlines and/or class of service? Airline most flown?
As long as they are cost competitive, yes. I primarily fly for work, but some personal trips too.

To the US I typically fly KLM/Delta because they have a direct flight, but over the last few years was also flying BA/AA to keep my QF Platinum status.

Within Europe it's more based on schedule and price, primarily KLM, but my loyalty is not as strong within Europe.

AMS-JFK/EWR
KLM/Delta (purely because of the direct route)

Amsterdam (AMS)

QF Platinum (OneWorld Emerald) (expires end of February, but have Lifetime Gold)
Flying Blue (KLM) Platinum (Sky Team Elite Plus)
Etihad Guest Gold (expires 03/17 and have no way to retain)
Alitalia MilleMiglia Platinum (was a status match, not sure when it expires)

(8) Preferred Airlines
Not too fussy
Minimal connections (so less can go wrong)
Good customer service, truly take care of their premium customers
Comfortable lie flat beds for red eyes
I don't usually eat or drink much on the flights, so that's not a big deal

Thanks so much in advance for any advice!!
Old Feb 1, 2017, 3:25 am

Programs: Velocity (Silver)
Hi all,

I'll be moving to USA and wanting to know which FFP I should do status match with. I'm currently with Virgin Velocity (Australia) Silver tier (one above the starter tier). Last year I flew once to europe (not with airline partner though), once to US, once to Asia on business (but bought it with points), once to Pacific islands, and 3-4 times domestic (within Australia).

Reply:
a) I can get free bonus points through credit card sign ups
b) Cheapest (points wise) to book business class. If one program does have a lot of bonus points deals with a lot of different credit cards and points are generious then I would take that.
Reply: 25000-50000 and probably less than 25
Economy (if possible I could also buy premium, depending on the cost)
Reply: Mostly for pleasure. Mostly flew on Virgin
(US Domestic, Transpacific, Kangaroo, in Asia etc)
Reply: I am planning to do US Domestic and Latin-central america.
Will be SEA
Reply:
Virgin Velocity
(8) Preferred Airlines
None for US
Old Feb 1, 2017, 8:08 pm

Which airline to choose?

Hi, I'm fly out of Boston a lot for business, mostly to San Francisco, though I sometimes fly for leisure. What would the best airline be to commit to? I'm thinking between Delta, American, and United. Thanks!
Old Feb 1, 2017, 8:10 pm

United, no question, as they are the only one of the Big 3 with nonstop flights between SF and Boston.
Old Feb 1, 2017, 8:34 pm

Programs: AA Gold. UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt (Lifetime Diamond downgraded to Explorist)
For business or in business/first class?
If in Business/First for comfort on the BOS-SFO B6 wins with VX being 2nd then UA for nonstop. I really avoid the 753 UA has at least a few flights a day on.

UA has the most frequency options on the nonstop. 6 vs 3 on B6 & VX.
Connecting in JFK/EWR will in J gets you lie-flat on UA, DL, AA & B6 with more frequency.

Upgrades on the nonstop route will be slim.

As for reward/status building B6 is the weakest whereas VX is merging with AS which has a lot of award partners but with redemption limitations when involving multiple partners on the same award ticket. AA is also an earning & burning partner for AS's program. UA as a Star Alliance member is strong for awards and probably for elite status too but don't expect much on elite & demand heavy routes such as yours.
Old Feb 2, 2017, 11:14 am

Programs: UA 1K, HH Diamond, AA PLT, DL Silver
Originally Posted by davie355
United, no question, as they are the only one of the Big 3 with nonstop flights between SF and Boston.
DL starts service on June 8th between SFO and BOS.
Old Feb 4, 2017, 8:33 am

Smile

Originally Posted by Yoshi212
For business or in business/first class?
If in Business/First for comfort on the BOS-SFO B6 wins with VX being 2nd then UA for nonstop. I really avoid the 753 UA has at least a few flights a day on.

UA has the most frequency options on the nonstop. 6 vs 3 on B6 & VX.
Connecting in JFK/EWR will in J gets you lie-flat on UA, DL, AA & B6 with more frequency.

Upgrades on the nonstop route will be slim.

As for reward/status building B6 is the weakest whereas VX is merging with AS which has a lot of award partners but with redemption limitations when involving multiple partners on the same award ticket. AA is also an earning & burning partner for AS's program. UA as a Star Alliance member is strong for awards and probably for elite status too but don't expect much on elite & demand heavy routes such as yours.
Thank you, but, sorry, please explain definitions of B6, VX, and AS.
Old Feb 4, 2017, 8:46 am
nux
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold, QF WP
Originally Posted by EmmettLS
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/glossary.php
Old Feb 4, 2017, 8:47 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
DL also has flat beds if you're willing to connect in JFK.
Old Feb 4, 2017, 8:53 am

Programs: AA Gold. UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt (Lifetime Diamond downgraded to Explorist)
The glossary is a good way to pickup common airline related quickcodes.
B6 is JetBlue's airline code. VX is Virgin America. AS is Alaska Airlines. AA is American. UA is United Ailrines, DL is Delta. VS is Virgin Atlantic. VA is Virgin America. KE is Korean Airlines and so on.

Originally Posted by EmmettLS

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.