Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Information Desk
Reload this Page >

Which Frequent Flyer Program to Join? Help Is Here!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 24, 2014, 12:34 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Mwenenzi
Before posting please read POSTS 1-3 for a comprehensive overview of how to select a program.
If you already plan to focus on one particular alliance, please visit the sticky in the relevant forum: Deciding on a oneworld FFP or Which SkyTeam FFP or Choosing a Star FFP

List of frequent flyer programs from Wikipedia

Questionnaire: Copy and paste into your post
Provide the requested information.

1. What is most important to you in a frequent flyer program (FFP)?
upgrades, priority services, baggage allowance, good award redemption rates, better award access, lounge access, etc.
>>> Reply:

2. How many miles do you usually fly each year? How many flights/sectors?
less than 25000 miles, 50000+ miles and 20-25 flights, etc.
>>> Reply:

3. What fare class do you usually buy?
first, business, premium economy, economy
>>> Reply:

4. Are you able to choose your airlines and/or class of service? Do you travel for work and/or pleasure?
>>> Reply:

5. Which routes do you fly most often?
transatlantic, domestic USA, intra-Asia, etc.
>>> Reply:

6. What is your home airport?
>>> Reply:

7. Do you have status in any FFP? What is it? How miles do you have banked in each FFP, if any?
>>> Reply:

8. What are your preferred airlines, if any?
>>> Reply:
Print Wikipost

Which Frequent Flyer Program to Join? Help Is Here!

Search this Thread

Old Feb 19, 2015, 8:03 am

Anyone?
Old Feb 20, 2015, 11:17 am

Traveling from SFO/SJC to ATL - Help me choose an airline!

I'm going to start traveling frequently for business from either San Francisco or San Jose CA to Atlanta, probably once or twice a month. Trying to find which airline will offer the best rewards. I'd like to build miles for personal travel redemption. But with the program changes in Delta and United, I'm not sure which way to go.

I think my top contenders are United, Delta, and Southwest. I like Southwest, but the only thing that makes me hesitate is I'd like to use our reward travel for Hawaii, which Southwest doesn't fly to. But this isn't a deal-breaker since we fly other places too.

Some notes:
-I can fly out of either SJC or SFO, but would prefer SJC since it's much closer to me.
-Prefer direct flights
-Will fly coach mostly, but I have the option to upgrade when reasonable.
-Currently do not have a credit card tied to any airline or any other bank of points with any specific airline.

So which airline would you pick?

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by kishme; Feb 20, 2015 at 11:24 am
Old Feb 20, 2015, 12:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry: BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.1030 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/417)

Welcome to FT!

SFO-ATL nonstops: DL, UA, WN

SJC-ATL nonstops: DL only.

For award travel to Hawaii, I would just get a credit card that can earn BA Avios (Chase/BA Visa, Chase Sapphire Preferred Visa, Amex Starwood Preferred Guest card, or any Amex card that participates in the Membership Rewards program. For personal -- as opposed to business -- credit cards, the best sign-up bonuses will ordinarily be with the Chase cards. Nonstop award flights from SJC/OAK to Hawaii on AS cost only 12,500 BA Avios one-way in Coach.

To which other destinations do you want to redeem miles? With sufficient paid travel on Southwest, you could earn a Southwest "Companion Pass," which you might want to investigate.
Old Feb 20, 2015, 1:43 pm

Thanks!! Exactly what I was looking for.

Between the three airlines, are they all about the same for point earning and redeeming ratios? For example, let's say roughly 10 flights gets a free flight on Southwest, is that about the same on Delta and United? Do any one out of those three carriers outshine the others?

I'm really confused on the new UA point structure

Would probably redeem to see family in Austin, TX (or Hawaii, ha).
Old Feb 20, 2015, 1:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry: BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.1030 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/417)

In your situation, I would probably go with Southwest, if you don't mind flying SFO-ATL-SFO (or making a connection out of SJC). Southwest offers SJC-AUS nonstop service, which would come in handy for you.

It's tough to compare the different FFPs, as DL and UA use a zone-based redemption scheme, whereas WN I think uses a cost-based redemption scheme. But if you end up earning enough Rapid Rewards points on Southwest to qualify for the Companion Pass, that should easily trump both DL and UA for domestic redemptions.
Old Feb 20, 2015, 2:00 pm

I didn't know about the Companion Pass. Jackpot, thank you.
Old Feb 20, 2015, 5:27 pm

Programs: WN A+ CP, UA 1MM/*A Gold, Mar LT Tit, IHG Plat, HH Dia
We all have different preferences and priorities in travel. Some are willing to take a preferred airline between A and B even if it involves a connection or poor timings. Others will argue that whichever airline offers nonstop service at convenient times is the preferred airline. Based on your statement about preferring SJC and nonstops (not to mention Hawaii) you may want to pick Delta. But take a look at the scheduling alternatives between DL, UA, and WN, and check both SJC and SFO, to decide which airline's choices seem reasonable to you.
Old Feb 21, 2015, 2:22 am

Hi all,
I would be grateful on your advice regarding A* programs. I currently hold FTL status in M&M which is valid until Feb 201. That means, this year I could strive for Elite level in other program as I will not reach 100k threshold for Senator level surely. I also hold 9k miles on my Aegean Miles&Bonus, to which I was crediting before they had introduced new rules for earning elite status. This 9k miles are also status-counting until end of March and I'll earn about 10k miles on UA flights in three weeks.
The question is: should I keep earning miles with M&M (where I have 25% executive bonus) or switch to M&B, where I could strive for gold level at 48k threshold?`

(e.g., upgrades, priority services, baggage allowance, good award redemption rates, better award access, lounge access)
Reply: upgrades, lounge access

(e.g., <25000, 25000-50000, >50000 miles and <25, 25-50, >50 flights?)
Reply: 25000-35000 miles and 30-45 flights anually

(e.g., first, business, premium economy, economy)
Reply: economy, both for leisure and corporate travel

4. Are you able to choose your airlines and/or class of service? Do you travel for work and/or pleasure?
Reply: yes, mostly I decide which airline I fly

5. Which routes do you fly most often
(e.g., U.S. domestic, transatlantic, intra-Asia)
Reply: intra-Europe, domestic in Poland (they earn little in M&B, as they have little kms but I get bonus for high booking classes in M&M)

(e.g., SFO, LHR, HKG)
Reply: WAW

7. Do you have status in any FFP? What is it? How miles do you have banked in a FFP, if any?
(e.g., AA Executive Platinum, UA 1K, LAN Comodoro)
Reply: M&M FTL, 22k miles / M&B, Blue, 9k miles

Reply: LOT, Lufthansa (generally A* airlines)

Thanks for your advice!
Old Feb 21, 2015, 9:30 am

Which FF programs require the member to travel?

My mother wants to use credit cards to rack up a bunch of miles to buy flights for her grandchildren. I don't think that any of the major airline programs forbid this, but I wasn't 100% sure, and I'm really unsure about the hotel programs. Any insight into any programs that require the program member to travel as part of awards?
Old Feb 21, 2015, 1:28 pm

Programs: None
Newbie to FF

I have been surfing on the site, lot of great information but overwhelming for newbie like me. I really appreciate your help, need to know which ff to sign up for airline miles. I don't travel much so mostly accumulating miles through MF , signup bonuses, using card for daily expenses. I might keep one card like CSP for ongoing expenses. Already got RedBird for me and my wife.

I need 4 tickets. Plan is to travel in 2016,2017 to following
PHX - Florida (taking cruise)
PHX - Hawaii
PHX - India via Europe or PHX-Europe

Questions
For members asking for information, to help people to assist you, can you please provide:
(1) What is most important to you in a FFP?
(upgrades on travel, priority services when flying the airline, extra baggage allowance, good award redemption rates, better award access, free - discounted lounge access, etc.)
Reply: good award redemption rates (mostly be travelling in peak times, need 4 tickets as well), upgrades
(2) How many miles do you usually fly each year & in what class? How many flights/sectors?
(<25000, 25000-50000, >50000 miles - <25, 25-50, >50 flights?)
Reply: None
(3) What types of fares do you usually buy ?
(First, Business, Premium economy, Economy, cheapest)
Reply: economy , business is the goal :-)
(4) Can you choose your airlines and/or class of service? Airline most flown? Do you travel for work and/or pleasure?
Reply: just pleasure travel
(5) Which routes and airlines do you fly most often
(US Domestic, Transpacific, Kangaroo, in Asia etc)
Reply: US Domestic, US-India
(6) What is your home airport?
(SFO, SCL, London LHR, HKG, Singapore SIN etc.)
Reply: PHX
(7) Do you have FFP status of any kind in an airline? What is it? Do you have any miles banked in a FFP?
(AA Executive Platinum, UA 1K, LAN Comodoro, etc)
Reply: U.S.Airway with 4000 miles
(8) Preferred Airlines
Reply: Emirates for India Flights, but other than that anything goes
Old Feb 22, 2015, 2:35 pm

AirCanada vs United vs Both

TLDR; I can't decide whether to just stick with United MileagePlus or split my miles between AirCanada and United - I "could" travel 25k - 50k miles on AirCanada and around 50k-75k on United. I wouldn't mind getting bumped to Biz Class on my AirCanada flights but I'm at a loss whether splitting programs is a bad idea.

Upgrades for AirCanada, Good Award Redemption for United

(e.g., <25000, 25000-50000, >50000 miles and <25, 25-50, >50 flights?)
25k to 50k on AirCanada, 50k - 75k "likely" on United, 8 - 12 flights on AC, 24 - 40 on United

(e.g., first, business, premium economy, economy)

Economy

Mostly work

US coast to coast or US to Canada

(e.g., SFO, LHR, HKG)
SFO (I fly a lot to BOS and YOW/YYZ)

7. Do you have status in any FFP? What is it? How miles do you have banked in a FFP, if any?
16k on AirCanada, 24.9k on United

AirCanada and United
Old Feb 23, 2015, 12:39 am

Program selection help

Reply: Lounge access

Reply: 25000-50000 (long haul AUS-GER + short domestic in GER).
Looks as though I'll also be doing weekly domestic flights with work starting in about 5 months in Germany (FRA-HAM)

Reply: Economy

Reply: Can choose the airline, but not the class usually flying economy with work.

Reply: Will be primarily German domestic (weekly flights)

(e.g., SFO, LHR, HKG)

Reply: HAM

Reply: Qantas Silver - 30k miles saved up

Reply: No strong preference but perhaps Lufthansa due to the German factor
Old Feb 23, 2015, 10:30 am

Programs: None
Any feedback experts? Thanks again.
Old Feb 23, 2015, 12:41 pm

Hello all Would someone like to reccommend me a flyer program, I will be moving to the United States in July, I am currently with BA Avios but used all mine up and feel maybe a change would be of benefit considering I am no longer in Europe

(1) What is most important to you in a FFP?
Good miles redemption rates as many free flights for as little miles as possible, dont care about lounges or first class upgrades etc

(2) How many miles do you usually fly each year & in what class? How many flights/sectors?
I would say my wife and I would do 1-2 flights from Orlando to Dublin a year and maybe a few internal flights for vaccations accross the US, say 2 each for the sake of argument

(3) What types of fares do you usually buy ?
Economy - as cheap as possible, to be honest

(4) Can you choose your airlines and/or class of service? Airline most flown? Do you travel for work and/or pleasure?
Yes I can choose to fly with whoever, I travel for pleasure, along with my wife - mostly fly AA or BA

(5) Which routes and airlines do you fly most often
British Airways, American Airlines.... and *sigh* Aer Lingus, they have a monopoly on ORL-DUB, I don't like Aer Lingus at all

(6) What is your home airport?
Orlando or West Palm Beach - could work with Miami

(7) Do you have FFP status of any kind in an airline? What is it? Do you have any miles banked in a FFP?
Yes, British Airways - I have about 4k left, I have used all mine recently on flights from DUB-BOS for my wife and I - it cost 12500 each

(8) Preferred Airlines
British Airways is my favorite, I liked American Airlines, they were nice but a bit basic in comparison to BA - never flown virgin, delta, united or US airways, but might like to in the future, who knows

I say I like cheap the best, but I would pay an extra 50 or 60 euro to fly with BA (who I have miles with) than to fly with an airline that gets me no miles if you know what I mean.

Thanks so much

Tim
Old Feb 23, 2015, 2:14 pm

Please see suggestion here:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/infor...l#post24402893

Last edited by aBroadAbroad; Feb 23, 2015 at 11:55 pm Reason: Link to suggestion; cross-posting not permitted

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.