Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Information Desk
Reload this Page >

Where should a mid-20s bachelor who's a consultant live?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Where should a mid-20s bachelor who's a consultant live?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 11, 2014, 9:38 am

Programs: AS MVPG, AA G, Ex-DL GM, Ex-UA 1P
I think Vail would have a lot of the same problems as LA except with less cost. The population is so transient, most of the people you meet will either be tourists there for a short time, people with vacation homes who are only there part time, or seasonal workers who will be gone within the next 6 months.

As much as I hated living in Texas, it may be a good option for you. The people are super friendly, there are lots of options for entertainment, a lot of the population is from somewhere else looking to reestablish themselves, and costs are low.

I'd say SLC too if you're into outdoors stuff, but it can be difficult for people without some of those hobbies to meet people unless they turn Mormon
Old Feb 11, 2014, 9:39 am

Programs: AA Gold SPG Gold HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by englert
What about Austin? Only been there once but it seems to meet most of your criteria however its gotten a lot more expensive over the last couple years.
+1 I love that town.
Old Feb 11, 2014, 10:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WN CP, Hilton Diamond
It seems to me a major consideration ought to be the ability to get in and out easily and frequently of wherever you live by air. Wouldn't Vail be a pain for that?

If you travel every week, making airline connections all over the place will get really old fast, especially if you ever get delayed.

If you work much in the US and get deployed all over, being centrally located might be a plus, resulting in shorter average "commutes." Chicago, Dallas spring to mind.
Old Feb 11, 2014, 10:40 am

Programs: WN A-List Preferred, AS, DL Kryptonium
Is there any place you've wanted to live but haven't yet done so? That might be a good choice.

Depending on the activities you like to do, Nashville might be a good option. It's relatively low cost, doesn't tax a lot of income, and has service to many different cities.

For certain people, Las Vegas may be an attractive alternative to LA. Upgrades are likely to be more plentiful than LA, expenses are typically lower, and there's no state income tax.
Old Feb 11, 2014, 10:48 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM
Wow, thanks for all of the input.

I don't like LA because you NEED a car. Most really cool clubs and restaurants are hard to get into unless you're in the entertainment business or have a ton of money. It takes forever to get from point A to point B. The walking options are pretty bad in any neighborhood, so you'll likely need an Uber/Lyft anytime you're going to/from the bars.

Vail seems like a good option other than the extra flight connection(s) to get to my clients. The house doesn't really need maintenance--my friend just needs someone to make sure it hasn't developed any issues (leaks, etc.). But again, I fear that I'll regret moving to a city in which I don't know anyone.

Las Vegas seems like a good option, but is there really anything to do there other than go to the Strip? Most people I meet on the Strip would be transient tourists.

JC/Hoboken are decent options but I hate the cold (unless I'm in a ski resort area, where I welcome the cold and snow).

San Francisco is an option, but unfortunately that's even more expensive. However, there a few guys on my project who live there and say it's awesome! But they each pay more than $2,000 per month for rent and about $350 per month for parking.

How about Miami/Fort Lauderdale/West Palm Beach?

SLC is also an option (I love skiing). Park City would be pretty sweet. And I'm a Delta guy so the 30 minute drive to SLC wouldn't be bad assuming I've got a non-stop to any major US city I'll be working in.

I'd also consider a suburb of LA. Anyone know any good suburbs besides Orange County? Newport Beach or Laguna Beach seem amazing. And they're quite cheap for a renter.

I'm leaning towards:
SF, suburb of LA, Vail/Park City.
Maybe Las Vegas or Miami area
Old Feb 11, 2014, 11:21 am

Programs: WN A-List Preferred, AS, DL Kryptonium
Originally Posted by AeoNKiNG
Las Vegas seems like a good option, but is there really anything to do there other than go to the Strip? Most people I meet on the Strip would be transient tourists.
Locals don't typically visit the Strip unless they're seeing a show or are entertaining visitors. Downtown is becoming popular and has a bus to the airport which costs $2 and takes 15 minutes. Outside of the Strip, bars are typically inexpensive.
Old Feb 11, 2014, 12:03 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium, UA Silver, Hilton Gold, Hertz Pres Circle
Here's another suggestion, depending on how you feel about travel/living out of a suitcase. I realize you do it four days a week already but doing it permanently is another issue.

Don't have a homebase. Spend your weekends traveling. Get either a storage unit, or move any excess stuff you have over to your parents, use their address as a mailing address, and then each weekend go wherever the heck you want.

Visit friends in LA one weekend, ski in Vail or Park City another. Head down to Miami or Cancun if it gets too cold.

If you're going to be flying "home" every week anyway, it's not that much additional travel. Just gotta figure out a way to do the laundry! Plus you'll save a bunch of money!
Old Feb 11, 2014, 2:36 pm

Since you're flying a lot, you could consider living in El Segundo. It has a nice beach and coastal weather and you can walk to one of the many hotels and take their airport shuttles for free plus a $2 tip.

There are a lot of people who travel regularly there like you. I lived there for a while and is a very nice place for the money. If you don't like the entertainment industry nightlife in west LA, you might like Manhattan Beach just to the south and Venice/Santa Monica just to the north of El Segundo better.

There are a lot of young women there who work for the airlines and air cargo companies. It also seems to have the highest percentage of midwestern transplants I've seen in LA. Sometimes the airline employees rent places together with the understanding that everyone will be outside of the place half the week or more, allowing for very low rents because 4-5 people split a large 2-3 bedroom.

I would not want to fly in and out of Colorado weekly plus deal with a possible long drive to the airport. Snowy roads in the mountains are dangerous. Then you're also adding an extra connecting flight all the time.
Old Feb 11, 2014, 2:38 pm

San Francisco is an option, but unfortunately that's even more expensive. However, there a few guys on my project who live there and say it's awesome! But they each pay more than $2,000 per month for rent and about $350 per month for parking.
Why not a suburb of SF? Living somewhere close to the airport like Burlingame or Millbrae. You'll have much cheaper rent, and it'll be really convenient catching flights out of SFO.

A car would be a nice thing to have, but you could probably manage without it. BART and Caltrain can take you around the Bay Area. Lyft and UberX can get you to the grocery store and things cheaply.

As someone who grew up in this area, I can tell you it's really easy to enjoy SF nightlife from here so you're not missing out or anything.

If you want to stay in LA, I'd look for places around Torrance, Westchester, and Culver City. Not too far from LAX with much cheaper rent than Santa Monica, Downtown, etc.

Whatever you do, stop paying $2k a month for an apartment you're rarely at. Get a cheaper place or better yet, get a cheaper place and a roommate.
Old Feb 11, 2014, 8:23 pm

Programs: DL Diamond
Originally Posted by gooseman13
Here's another suggestion, depending on how you feel about travel/living out of a suitcase. I realize you do it four days a week already but doing it permanently is another issue.

Don't have a homebase. Spend your weekends traveling. Get either a storage unit, or move any excess stuff you have over to your parents, use their address as a mailing address, and then each weekend go wherever the heck you want.

Visit friends in LA one weekend, ski in Vail or Park City another. Head down to Miami or Cancun if it gets too cold.

If you're going to be flying "home" every week anyway, it's not that much additional travel. Just gotta figure out a way to do the laundry! Plus you'll save a bunch of money!
I don't hate this idea. You can use Vail as your "base" since it's free and do whatever you want on the weekends. 2 weekend nights hotel (particularly when you include the breakfast via status ) is no more than monthly rent. Do LA 2-3 weekends per month and mix it up once or twice.
Old Feb 11, 2014, 8:45 pm

Programs: Delta, Hyatt-Plat, Priority Club-Plat, Hilton-Gold
I think the Park City idea is great... I love skiing as well, and you can't beat the convenience of the 30 minute drive to SLC.
Old Feb 11, 2014, 9:22 pm

Programs: UA Gold
Hm. What about San Diego? A little pricey but a blast of a place.
Old Feb 11, 2014, 11:14 pm

Programs: AAdvantage Elite Plat, HH Gold, SPG Gold, Hertz Gold, BA

I don't like LA because you NEED a car. Most really cool clubs and restaurants are hard to get into unless you're in the entertainment business or have a ton of money. It takes forever to get from point A to point B. The walking options are pretty bad in any neighborhood, so you'll likely need an Uber/Lyft anytime you're going to/from the bars.

Vail seems like a good option other than the extra flight connection(s) to get to my clients. The house doesn't really need maintenance--my friend just needs someone to make sure it hasn't developed any issues (leaks, etc.). But again, I fear that I'll regret moving to a city in which I don't know anyone.

JC/Hoboken are decent options but I hate the cold (unless I'm in a ski resort area, where I welcome the cold and snow).

SLC is also an option (I love skiing). Park City would be pretty sweet. And I'm a Delta guy so the 30 minute drive to SLC wouldn't be bad assuming I've got a non-stop to any major US city I'll be working in.

I'd also consider a suburb of LA. Anyone know any good suburbs besides Orange County? Newport Beach or Laguna Beach seem amazing. And they're quite cheap for a renter.

I'm leaning towards:
Miami Beach is expensive but FLL is not as expensive. But not as cheap as Dallas or Houston.

From what I understand you want to save the rent $$ to save even more. Miami Beach / Beaches is very exciting and nightlife goes on 7 days a week. Airport (s) are very well connected. But restaurants and clubs are $$$.

Houston and Dallas have decent weather and are cheaper than most of the places I know. And lots of direct flights I lived in both and would prefer Houston over Dallas. To me Dallas felt like a small town inside a big city. Houston is more down to earth and has Galveston. Granted this is as flat as it gets. Austin is not Texas. Well it is but feels like a mini Cali

Vail is convenient to your $$$ pocket but is not well connected and you can encounter canceled flights.

Write down pros and cons and good luck.
Old Feb 11, 2014, 11:50 pm

Programs: UAL IK;Marriott Plat Elite;Hyatt Diamond;Hilton Gold;Hertz Presidents Circle

As a life long Las Vegas resident, we have everything every other community has. We even have skiing (tho prob not the best skiing). Cali is a 4 hour drive or a one hour flight away... SLC is a one hour flight. We are hub for southwest and US air (both ick!) Lake Mead is 45 minutes away. Red Rock about the same...

Yup, I am a fan of Vegas... Come on down on Feb 26th and meet a bunch of us at the LAS Downtown Happy Hour Feb 26th. http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/commu...-feb-26th.html
Old Feb 12, 2014, 7:28 am

Programs: US Airways - Chairman, Delta - Platinum, Marriott - Platinum, Hilton - Diamond, SPG - Platinum

I'm leaning towards:

Im a young consultant as well and last year moved from Philly to Fort Lauderdale and dont regret it for a minute. I mainly came down for the weather and change of lifestyle but have been impressed with how young and social it is. A lot of people are into the drinking/party scene down here (thus the nickname fort liquordale) which I like in small doses but thats not for everyone. The cost of living can really vary. Its expensive if you are living downtown or around Las Olas or can be very affordable although you need to be careful about some of the neighborhoods around here. Its great spot for consultants because youve got FLL airport and MIA is only a 30 min drive. Feel free to contact me me if you have any questions about the area.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.