Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Information Desk
Reload this Page >

Question regarding flying with a friend.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 6, 2014, 3:34 am
Original Poster

Hi there, i'm new to this board and have a question ive been researching for hours and can't seem to get an answer.

My friend and I are both flying to China for study abroad this summer, and we are trying to buy plane tickets asap to get it as cheap as possible, the problem is, that I will be staying a month after he does as my mom lives in China, and therefore once the program ends, I plan on staying with my mom while he wants to fly back.

The problem is, how do we get a flight that has the same leave date, but different return dates? Everytime ive looked into it, it does not show any flights that correlate with each other since I want a roundtrip with a different leave date.
Old Feb 6, 2014, 4:31 am

I think you will not be able to book flights on the same PNR, so in any case you will need to make two separate bookings.

Given that it shouldn't be a problem to find two seats on the same flight heading to China and book a different return.

Not sure where you're based and wil go, so let's assume SFO - PVG:

I see available flights for 1st of July 12.00 on China Easter non-stop to PVG with a return on 1st of Septmeber as well as for a return 1st of October.

If you think you won't be able to make this kind of bookings just call a (O)TA and let them handle it. If they are good, they might even get you the cheapest fare without too much investigation on your side.

Btw. Welcome to FT
Old Feb 6, 2014, 4:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, BA Bronze, Various Hotels
Agree with fassy - you cannot book trips with different dates on the same PNR and will have to make separate bookings for each person traveling.

If you're leaving from the same airport, just book on the same departure flight for each booking.

Good luck!
Old Feb 6, 2014, 5:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry: BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.601 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/417)

"we are trying to buy plane tickets asap to get it as cheap as possible"

While it is possible that the cheapest fares for Summer travel are those fares that are available now, that is by no means a certainty.
Old Feb 6, 2014, 1:38 pm
Original Poster

I plan on flying from PHX Sky harbor May 14th, to PVG Shanhai, and my friend plans on flying back the 10th of june, and I plan on flying back the 4th of july.

Ive been trying to cross reference flights, and cant find one that has the same departure date.

Sorry if the first post was confusing.
Old Feb 6, 2014, 1:51 pm

There are lot of options, e.g.

14. May: PHX 8:30a PVG 9:35p 22h 05m 2 stops (SEA, NRT)
10. June: PVG 12:20p PHX 3:39p 18h 19m 2 stops (SEA,LAX)
Delta Airlines: $1202

And
14. May: PHX 8:30a PVG 9:35p 22h 05m 2 stops (SEA,NRT)
4. June: PVG 9:05a PHX 4:38p 22h 33m 2 stops (NRT,SEA)
Delta Arlines $1308

You might notice the return has a different routing but the outbound flights are the same.

Some more options:

Flight 1: http://www.kayak.com/flights/PHX-PVG...-14/2014-06-10

Flight 2: http://www.kayak.com/flights/PHX-PVG...-14/2014-07-04

Make sure you remove the "Multiple airlines" in the filter option s

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.