Wiki Posts
Search

Newbie help! Warm weather weekend

Search this Thread

Old Feb 4, 2014, 6:05 pm
Original Poster

Programs: SPG Plat, IHG Plat Ambassador, CC Gold, HH Diamond, Hyatt Plat
Cool Newbie help! Warm weather weekend

Hello All! I would just like to thank the universe/flyertalk. Thank to all of you I successfully went through my first A-O-R and have got a good start on earning miles and points. I was planing to go somewhere warm (to escape the NE weather) for a weekend (prob. THU-SUN) in April or May. Since I now have some points from my sign up bonuses (though now too many) I thought I might as well use some to get my feet wet with using points for travel.

Do you have any suggestions for hotels that are decent and do not require too many points (not looking for luxury this time, just warmth). I was even considering the PUJ airport Starwood, which is tiny and not even on the beach...

We will have earned a SWA companion pass by then, so traveling EWR-SJU with the CP on Southwest and then taking a low cost SJU-PUJ flight sounds good but we would also consider other places (Aruba? now that we can use the CP there) or even Mexico and Florida. Preferably somewhere close because it would be just 2 or 3 nights.

We currently have points for HHonors, Starwood, Club Carlson (wish a could find a property for them since redeeming would be generous!), Ultimate Rewards, US Airways and IHG.

Any help is appreciated!!
Old Feb 4, 2014, 7:01 pm

Programs: AA, UA, BA, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum
Southwest' flights to SJU and AUA don't begin until Jul 1. Maybe look into MIA/FLL?
Old Feb 4, 2014, 7:11 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by dukerau
Southwest' flights to SJU and AUA don't begin until Jul 1. Maybe look into MIA/FLL?
You are right. When I was thinking of that possibility, it was to go at a later date... after July. But disregarding the SW thing any suggestions to non-continental US where redemption would be under 20k points per night? I would do MIA or MCO if it is a good hotel
Old Feb 5, 2014, 6:52 am

Originally Posted by kocoliza
You are right. When I was thinking of that possibility, it was to go at a later date... after July. But disregarding the SW thing any suggestions to non-continental US where redemption would be under 20k points per night? I would do MIA or MCO if it is a good hotel
Miami:
Crowne Plaza South Beach - 25K/nt IHG
Four Points South Beach - 10K/nt SPG

San Juan:
Radisson Ambassador - 38K/nt CC (19K/nt for 2 nights)
Sheraton Old San Juan - 10K/nt SPG
Sheraton Puerto Rico - 10K/nt SPG

Cancun/Riviera Maya:
Hyatt Regency - 8K/nt Hyatt
Holiday Inn Express Playacar - 15K/nt Hyatt
Westin Lagunamar - 10K/nt SPG
Old Feb 5, 2014, 9:51 am
Original Poster

Miami:

San Juan:

Cancun/Riviera Maya:
Thanks so much for this.

The Four Points SB seems not as nice, but a little less cramped than the Crowne Plaza (or Z Ocean). Out out all of the ones one PR, the Sheraton Puerto Rico seems decent enough. The Hyatt Regency in Cancun seems to be the best value, especially when you factor in Hyatt's $ match for food expenses (pay $100 upfront and you get $200 for credit!)

Sorry if you already know all this... just putting it out there in case someone else is reading this and could use the info...

Do you have any recommendation/preference or have you stayed at any of these?
Old Feb 5, 2014, 11:03 am

Originally Posted by kocoliza
Thanks so much for this.

The Four Points SB seems not as nice, but a little less cramped than the Crowne Plaza (or Z Ocean). Out out all of the ones one PR, the Sheraton Puerto Rico seems decent enough. The Hyatt Regency in Cancun seems to be the best value, especially when you factor in Hyatt's $ match for food expenses (pay $100 upfront and you get $200 for credit!)

Sorry if you already know all this... just putting it out there in case someone else is reading this and could use the info...

Do you have any recommendation/preference or have you stayed at any of these?
I haven't stayed in any of these.
Old Feb 5, 2014, 2:24 pm

Programs: DL PM; IHG PlatAmb; Hilton Dia; Marriott Plat; Hyatt Discoverist
Miami:

San Juan:

Cancun/Riviera Maya:

The Radisson Ambassador is a dump, but good location. Sheraton Old San Juan is nice, but not near the beach. Sheraton PR is ok.

The 4P Miami Beach is not a particularly nice property, and is not in South Beach, but mid-beach, a schlep from the action.

The Crowne Plaza South Beach (assuming its the Z Ocean) is a nice property and well-located.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.