Wiki Posts
Search

Pay the change fee or buy a new flight?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 4, 2014, 10:11 am
Original Poster

Pay the change fee or buy a new flight?

Hey everyone,

New to the forum, but I need some help with a flight situation so I thought I would ask here for help. If I'm in the wrong place, please let me know what forum I should post this in.

Long story short, I booked a roundtrip flight, but I want to move the departure date up a few days but keep my return flight the same. The problem is that the change fee is $200 for the departure flight, but I found a one way flight from another airline for $180.

I spoke with customer service and they said that if I don't pay the change fee for the departure flight then I will be marked as a no-show for the departure flight and then they would nullify my ticket for the return flight. Is this true?

Any help or advice is greatly appreciated!
Old Feb 4, 2014, 10:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry: BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.601 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/417)

Yes, it's true. If you miss the first flight on the ticket, all remaining flights on the ticket will be canceled.
Old Feb 4, 2014, 10:21 am

Is this true?

Yes. If it was your return date that changed, you could book the new one-way and "abandon" the old return leg, but, for the outward bound you have no choice.
Old Feb 4, 2014, 10:25 am
Original Poster

This is incredibly helpful. I'll go ahead and pay the change fee then. Thanks!
Old Feb 4, 2014, 12:28 pm

Programs: AA, UA, BA, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by darksh1nobi
This is incredibly helpful. I'll go ahead and pay the change fee then. Thanks!
If it's far enough out, you could wait for a schedule change. It may be tough to argue that a schedule change makes you switch days of flying, but that's about the only way you could avoid the change fee.
Old Feb 4, 2014, 4:20 pm

Programs: Aeroplan
Yes, very true.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.