Wiki Posts
Search

Best alliance for UK - South America?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 21, 2014, 8:33 am
Original Poster

Best alliance for UK - South America?

Hi Folks,

Recently got a job in the UK, not far from London, and will be traveling to South & Central America some (as well as some other places). I'm currently Silver with United (Star Alliance), but that'll expire soon. Any suggestions as to a particular alliance that is particularly strong in its UK - South/Central America flights? Or, are they all big enough that I should just pick one and go for it...

Thanks!
Old Jan 21, 2014, 10:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry: BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.601 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/417)

oneworld, hands down.

Whether to credit your flights to AA or BA is a tougher question, depending on what type of redemptions you want to make with your miles.
Old Jan 21, 2014, 4:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT,AS,UA PP,J6,FB,EY,LH,SQ,HH Dmd,Hyatt Glbl,Marriott Plat,IHG Plat,Accor Gold
Originally Posted by guv1976
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry: BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.601 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/417)

oneworld, hands down.

Whether to credit your flights to AA or BA is a tougher question, depending on what type of redemptions you want to make with your miles.
+1, definitely, given the combination of BA (naturally, since you're based in London) and AA (even before combining with US), with Iberia and the newly expanded LAN adding extra value to the OW option.

Generally, AA's FF program is the best of these both for international upgrades (especially if you'll accrue 100K elite qualifying miles or points per year) and for award flights that don't have BA's sometimes onerous fees. But I agree with guv that for certain purposes BA can be superior.

It might help if you posted more information about how many miles you expect you'll fly per year, what you most hope to get out of the FF miles you'll accrue - e.g., international upgrades, award flights (and to what kind of destinations and in what cabin of the aircraft), etc.
Old Jan 21, 2014, 4:27 pm
Original Poster

Thanks folks - I've sent AA an email, rolling the dice to see if they might match my United status. I used to have AA status - not sure if that'll affect their decision.

I'm mostly interested in the chance for upgrades. I also really like being able to check in in the 1st class line, boarding first, etc. I expect I might accrue 25k miles per year if I'm lucky - perhaps enough to stay in the lowest elite bracket - but not likely much more than that.
Old Jan 21, 2014, 5:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Look here http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/onewo...help-here.html
and post 9 here http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/21923398-post9.html

Originally Posted by Thunderroad
Generally, AA's FF program is the best of these both for international upgrades (especially if you'll accrue 100K elite qualifying miles or points per year) and for award flights that don't have BA's sometimes onerous fees. But I agree with guv that for certain purposes BA can be superior..
But only on eligable flights. That does not include LAN. Does the AA/BA/IB cross airline upgrade system work on BA IB flights to Central & South America? Or just USA UK.

Originally Posted by countchocula
Thanks folks - I've sent AA an email, rolling the dice to see if they might match my United status. I used to have AA status - not sure if that'll affect their decision.

I'm mostly interested in the chance for upgrades.
AA will not match. They may suggest a gold/plat challenge.

Last edited by Mwenenzi; Jan 21, 2014 at 5:44 pm
Old Jan 22, 2014, 8:29 am
Original Poster

What about SkyTeam? I'm finding Delta has the best fares for my first flight right now, but that may not always be the case. Virgin is part of SkyTeam too...
Old Jan 22, 2014, 8:54 am

Programs: UA
Try to see if you can get AA to offer you a plat/gold challenge just before your first couple of scheduled trips for work--make sure not to do it too early!
Old Jan 22, 2014, 1:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT,AS,UA PP,J6,FB,EY,LH,SQ,HH Dmd,Hyatt Glbl,Marriott Plat,IHG Plat,Accor Gold
What about SkyTeam? I'm finding Delta has the best fares for my first flight right now, but that may not always be the case. Virgin is part of SkyTeam too...
I'm no expert on DL or SkyTeam, but DL does have a reputation for being the toughest major USA airline to secure award travel and I believe international upgrades on.
Old Jan 22, 2014, 1:45 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for the great info, folks.
Old Jan 22, 2014, 6:49 pm

Programs: all
Hi Folks,

Recently got a job in the UK, not far from London, and will be traveling to South & Central America some (as well as some other places). I'm currently Silver with United (Star Alliance), but that'll expire soon. Any suggestions as to a particular alliance that is particularly strong in its UK - South/Central America flights? Or, are they all big enough that I should just pick one and go for it...

Thanks!
oneworld
Old Jan 22, 2014, 9:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

With the dominance of LAN, TAM (part of LAN group) joining OW and AA & BA intercontinentals OW is by far the best choice.
What cities will you fly into?
You can pay up & start the AA challenge any time.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.