Wiki Posts
Search

New Airline and Hotel Loyalty Program Considerations

Search this Thread

Old Jan 1, 2014, 7:16 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Singapore Airlines, Delta Airlines, Hilton HHonors, IHG
New Airline and Hotel Loyalty Program Considerations

I have been w/ Delta Airlines and was Skyteam Platinum for the past few years. I now reside in the country of Singapore. This year, I was 1,149 miles short of making Gold Medallion. I am just a Silver Medallion holder now. Hence, it would probably make the most sense for me to switch over to Singapore Airlines and Star Alliance, especially considering that that I may not be flying to USA much.

Secondary question: I was HHonors Diamond and IHG Platinum for 2013. Should I stay with one or the other loyalty program or make a switch to Starwoods or Marriot? I have been pleased with HHonors, but it does not appear that they properties to the places I have been visiting the last year. Not so pleased w/ IHG. No upgrades for 2013 or benefits that have appealed.

Any feedback and worthwhile suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Old Jan 1, 2014, 7:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Too many to list
Welcome to FT! Since you have a couple questions I'll move your post/thread to the Information Desk. You should get some great help here.
Old Jan 1, 2014, 9:07 pm

Originally Posted by Chantha Chhim
I have been w/ Delta Airlines and was Skyteam Platinum for the past few years. I now reside in the country of Singapore. This year, I was 1,149 miles short of making Gold Medallion. I am just a Silver Medallion holder now. Hence, it would probably make the most sense for me to switch over to Singapore Airlines and Star Alliance, especially considering that that I may not be flying to USA much.

Secondary question: I was HHonors Diamond and IHG Platinum for 2013. Should I stay with one or the other loyalty program or make a switch to Starwoods or Marriot? I have been pleased with HHonors, but it does not appear that they properties to the places I have been visiting the last year. Not so pleased w/ IHG. No upgrades for 2013 or benefits that have appealed.

Any feedback and worthwhile suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Welcome to FT!
1. SQ is a great airline. You need to be aware of certain economy booking class fares on SQ are ineligible for mileage accrual. In addition, certain booking class fares on Silkair (MI) are eligible for mileage accrual. Meanwhile, SQ does impose high fuel surcharges for an award ticket.
2. SPG is one of the Southeast Asia's largest chain hotels. Marriott continues to expand into Southeast Asia. Meanwhile, SPG does offer a one-time SPG Platinum status challenge.
More detailed information can be viewed from this thread, http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/starw...thread-21.html.

SPG or Marriott can be viewed from this thread, http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/starw...-platinum.html

Happy New Year! Happy Travels!
Old Jan 1, 2014, 10:52 pm

Programs: JL GC | Marriott LT Silver | Global Entry | SQ Silver
Originally Posted by Dalat767
Welcome to FT!
1. SQ is a great airline. You need to be aware of certain economy booking class fares on SQ are ineligible for mileage accrual. In addition, certain booking class fares on Silkair (MI) are eligible for mileage accrual. Meanwhile, SQ does impose high fuel surcharges for an award ticket.
2. SPG is one of the Southeast Asia's largest chain hotels. Marriott continues to expand into Southeast Asia. Meanwhile, SPG does offer a one-time SPG Platinum status challenge.
More detailed information can be viewed from this thread, http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/starw...thread-21.html.

SPG or Marriott can be viewed from this thread, http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/starw...-platinum.html

Happy New Year! Happy Travels!
As of sometime in 2013, the policy was revised. Even the cheapest economy tickets in SQ are eligible for mileage accrual in the Krisflyer FFP (they earn only 10%), same as MI.

SPG do have a big presence here. How about Hyatt? They have been increasing their presence in the region. There's also a Diamond challenge as well and I think it was 12 nights in 60 days or something like that. I guess it also depends where you would be flying to so do some research on some of these hotel chains to see which would be more beneficial.
Old Jan 18, 2014, 2:34 am
Original Poster

Programs: Singapore Airlines, Delta Airlines, Hilton HHonors, IHG
Thank you for the continued response. If SPG is willing to do a status match, I would highly consider moving over.
Old Jan 18, 2014, 5:10 am

Programs: JL GC | Marriott LT Silver | Global Entry | SQ Silver
Originally Posted by Chantha Chhim
Thank you for the continued response. If SPG is willing to do a status match, I would highly consider moving over.
There are no status matches for SPG. They do however offer a Platinum Challenge, 18 nights in 90 days. Gold status can be achieved with 1 stay using a World Mastercard but you would want to aim Platinum of course (like what I'm doing this year).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.