Wiki Posts
Search

Which FF program for this specific flight

Search this Thread

Old Nov 20, 2013, 1:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by MileageManager
AFAIK, the prog w/ the fastest* way to elite is Air France/KLM Flying Blue. 15 Skyteam segs hits Silver, 30 hits Gold, and so on. You also earn RDM, but not EQM, on Alaska tix.

https://www.klm.com/travel/us_en/fly...olds/index.htm

*fastest via flown segs
Am I missing something fundamental here - I can't see how Qantas / American flights could earn in the Air France / KLM program?
Old Nov 20, 2013, 1:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 1M
Originally Posted by emma69
Am I missing something fundamental here - I can't see how Qantas / American flights could earn in the Air France / KLM program?
Cannot, I think it was just an fyi post.
Old Nov 20, 2013, 2:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by UA Fan
Cannot, I think it was just an fyi post.
Ah, ok, just in general terms of airline programs. Gotcha!
Old Nov 21, 2013, 3:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

An update from me - LAN looked like a good option for me, redemptionwise, so I went ahead and joined up. However, after Qantas were unable to add the frequent flyer number, I called LAN - have to say, no issue getting through to someone who spoke excellent English, and she helpfully informed me that you can only earn LANPASS kms after you have taken your first flight on LAN metal - only then can you accrue on one world partners! Hey ho, back to the drawing board to weigh up Alaksa and AA again! Thanks everyone!
Old Nov 21, 2013, 3:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

you can only earn LANPASS kms after you have taken your first flight on LAN metal - only then can you accrue on one world partners!
That's odd, HUACA.
Old Nov 21, 2013, 6:58 pm

Programs: All of 'em
Originally Posted by Mwenenzi
Not clear to me if all the flights are all QF flight numbers or both AA & QF flight numbers.

Alaska is a good FFP and has good range of partners, many in OneWorld
http://www.alaskaair.com/content/mil...-overview.aspx

Otherwise AA. Do not even think about QF: a very poor program compared to AA for people in North America

Both AA & AS will have way's to keep the account alive with non flying activities.

For both AA & AS check if the fare class is eligible to earn miles. Some are not. You will not get status.
To be fair, it's about as many in SkyTeam (AF, DL, KL, KE) for earn-in, unless you count AF and KL as a single program, because they do share one
Old Nov 21, 2013, 7:03 pm

QF is a pretty poor program to accumulate in. Higher redemption levels + YQ I think. However you might not have a choice if the fare earns only with QF.

I suggest AA if it earns miles, followed by AS.
It's hit or miss on likeability. As a US resident for example, you can redeem short flights for as low as 8K pts OW, such as LAX-SFO or LAX-LAS (on AA metal). I've redeemed PSP-SFO for 10K pts on AS metal, too.

Just depends on a pax's needs.
Old Nov 21, 2013, 10:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

It's hit or miss on likeability. As a US resident for example, you can redeem short flights for as low as 8K pts OW, such as LAX-SFO or LAX-LAS (on AA metal). I've redeemed PSP-SFO for 10K pts on AS metal, too.

Just depends on a pax's needs.
BA & LA are cheaper for those flights.
Old Nov 22, 2013, 12:20 am

BA & LA are cheaper for those flights.
In cash fees or in miles req'd? Thought they all charged mostly $2.50/seg intra-alliance.
Old Nov 22, 2013, 12:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

In cash fees or in miles req'd? Thought they all charged mostly $2.50/seg intra-alliance.
In points. BA charges just 4.5K and LAN even less I think.
Old Nov 22, 2013, 1:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

That's odd, HUACA.
Might try once more - but it would explain why the number wasn't being accepted either online with Qantas, or by the agent when I called them.
Old Nov 22, 2013, 3:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

An update from me - LAN looked like a good option for me, redemptionwise, so I went ahead and joined up. However, after Qantas were unable to add the frequent flyer number, I called LAN - have to say, no issue getting through to someone who spoke excellent English, and she helpfully informed me that you can only earn LANPASS kms after you have taken your first flight on LAN metal - only then can you accrue on one world partners! Hey ho, back to the drawing board to weigh up Alaksa and AA again! Thanks everyone!
What award trip are you trying to aim for ?

As your post above its complex
Old Nov 22, 2013, 7:21 pm

In points. BA charges just 4.5K and LAN even less I think.
AAAAh, I have 2 new luvs! Maybe...
Old Nov 22, 2013, 7:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

AAAAh, I have 2 new luvs! Maybe...
Assuming you value km to mile as 1.5 : 1 (ratio used by SPG), then LA's cheapest is 4K.

I have thought of making LA my main program for domestic but after the nightmare just signing up for their FFP, and hearing other stories in that forum, I ignored them. I value the time and stress in making award reservations after this incident. BA allows online redemptions.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.