Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Information Desk
Reload this Page >

Can I get miles for two programs in just one flight?

Old Nov 4, 2013, 10:20 am
Original Poster

Programs: US Air, Flying Blue, United, Air Canada, Aeromexico

I have an Air Canada flight on a United Itinerary (3 of the four legs are with UA, last leg is with AC).
I have already my AC Aaeroplan number registered on the AC itinerary but I also have the UA Milege Plus number registered with UA.
Will I get a spilt mile amount (UA for 3 legs and AC for 1 leg) or I will get 2 full amounts for each of the legs?
Not sure this is clear, but if someone understands what I ask please try to shine a light on it for me.
Thanks
Old Nov 4, 2013, 10:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry: BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.601 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/417)

I'm not sure what you mean by "registered." Just having an Aeroplan number and a MileagePlus number won't earn you miles on any flight. Miles for flights flown are credited to the frequent-flyer number associated with your reservation record for that flight.

If you want to earn Aeroplan miles for the AC flight, and MileagePlus miles for the UA flights, you might be able to have a UA agent switch numbers after you have flown the AC flight, and before you board your first UA flight.

On the other hand, if you just want to earn Aeroplan (or MileagePlus) miles for all of the flights on your itinerary, just ensure that the appropriate frequent-flyer number is in your reservation record.

And no, you cannot earn miles in two (or five or ten) different programs for the same flight.
Old Nov 4, 2013, 11:00 am
Original Poster

Programs: US Air, Flying Blue, United, Air Canada, Aeromexico
Right, by registered I actually meant "associated" with the booking.
My AC flight is the last one . The first three are with UA.
Old Nov 4, 2013, 12:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Too many to list
No. Unless the two airlines screw up.
Old Nov 4, 2013, 8:01 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold, HHonors Diamond
The only way I have received miles in two different programs is where there have been IROPS and I was moved from one carrier to the other. Even that took requesting mileage credit from the "second" carrier.
Old Nov 4, 2013, 8:27 pm

Programs: Delta Skymiles (Silver), PriorityClub (Platinum), BA, AA, CO, Hilton Honor, SPG
It happened me to once. I book JFK to HKG on Delta. Delta flight from JFK to NRT screw up, flight got delay and can't connect to next one. They put me on Cathay Pacific. Since Delta booked Cathay Pacific on Y class, I deposit the miles on BA.

After the trip, I called Delta back and asked them deposit original itinerary back to my account since this is not my fault.

I think that's the only way to get miles on 2 programs.
Old Nov 4, 2013, 8:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry: BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.601 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/417)

Originally Posted by eddielam
It happened me to once. I book JFK to HKG on Delta. Delta flight from JFK to NRT screw up, flight got delay and can't connect to next one. They put me on Cathay Pacific. Since Delta booked Cathay Pacific on Y class, I deposit the miles on BA.

After the trip, I called Delta back and asked them deposit original itinerary back to my account since this is not my fault.

I think that's the only way to get miles on 2 programs.
Yes, but then you're not getting miles in two different programs for the same flight; you're getting miles for two different flights: the one you were supposed to fly, and the one you actually flew.
Old Nov 5, 2013, 9:29 pm

Programs: UA Platinum, HH Gold, Marriott Gold
No, you shouldnt be able to do that.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.