Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Information Desk
Reload this Page >

Which airline alliance from NYC to PMI (Mallorca)?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 20, 2013, 3:32 pm
Original Poster

Hey all,

Just wondering if any of you have done a trip from the US to Mallorca on miles. What is the best way to get there using the fewest miles and least surcharges? I have miles with all US-based airlines and have SPG/MR so transferring is a possibility as well. Ideal solution would be one-stop with low fuel surcharges and less than 60K miles somehow.

Skyteam
I cannot find anything on Delta and I understand that even if I used UX, I would be paying surcharges up the wazoo.

oneworld
AA has several options, and it is only 20K each way. However, each flight would have two stops. Fine if push comes to shove, but not ideal.

Perhaps I could do the BA Boston-Dublin 25K RT trick and pay for RyanAir direct from Dublin to Mallorca.

Star Alliance
One-stop option available but at 60K. Ideally would like to redeem for less.

Anything else I am missing? Converting MR to ANA and doing some kind of distance-based redemption on an ANA partner? Any further guidance would be very much appreciated. Thanks all.
Old Oct 20, 2013, 5:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry: BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.601 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/417)

There are several one-stop routing possibilitiess on oneworld:

JFK-ZRH/MAD/DUS/TXL-PMI

Whether you can find SAAver availability on your desired dates of travel is another matter. And aa.com won't show availability via MAD, since one or both of the flights would be operated by Iberia/Iberia Express.

Last edited by guv1976; Oct 21, 2013 at 3:31 pm
Old Oct 20, 2013, 5:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry: BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.601 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/417)

EWR-GVA-PMI-GVA-EWR on UA and Swiss for 43,000 ANA miles is another possibility, but I believe that ANA will assess surcharges on the flights on Swiss.
Old Oct 21, 2013, 3:26 pm

Programs: BA Gold, Priority Club Gold, Accor Silver, Virgin Australia Gold
could be possible depending on season using air berlin from jfk via Dus.

nivsy
Old Oct 21, 2013, 7:42 pm

Originally Posted by guv1976

There are several one-stop routing possibilitiess on oneworld:

JFK-ZRH/MAD/DUS/TXL-PMI

Whether you can find SAAver availability on your desired dates of travel is another matter. And aa.com won't show availability via MAD, since one or both of the flights would be operated by Iberia/Iberia Express.
I go to PMI from NYC twice-a-year, and OW is definitely the easiest of the three alliances to use to get there. Depending on season, helsinki and vienna are also OW destinations with links to PMI.
Old Oct 21, 2013, 8:09 pm

Programs: DL Diamond
Originally Posted by FrequentFlyer9000
Hey all,

Just wondering if any of you have done a trip from the US to Mallorca on miles. What is the best way to get there using the fewest miles and least surcharges? I have miles with all US-based airlines and have SPG/MR so transferring is a possibility as well. Ideal solution would be one-stop with low fuel surcharges and less than 60K miles somehow.

Skyteam
I cannot find anything on Delta and I understand that even if I used UX, I would be paying surcharges up the wazoo.

oneworld
AA has several options, and it is only 20K each way. However, each flight would have two stops. Fine if push comes to shove, but not ideal.

Perhaps I could do the BA Boston-Dublin 25K RT trick and pay for RyanAir direct from Dublin to Mallorca.

Star Alliance
One-stop option available but at 60K. Ideally would like to redeem for less.

Anything else I am missing? Converting MR to ANA and doing some kind of distance-based redemption on an ANA partner? Any further guidance would be very much appreciated. Thanks all.
To me best value/product combo would be:
NYC-PHL-MAD on US Envoy via ANA (no surcharges) then use Avios on IB to PMI. PHL-MAD has great award space if you book in advance, too...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.