Wiki Posts
Search

First award booking. How'd I do?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 22, 2013, 11:34 am
Original Poster

Hi everyone:

I booked the following award travel for my wife & I using 90k US Airways miles and 120k UA miles:

SNA to ORD - O'Hare first class on a United Airlines Boeing 757-200
ORD to CPH Business Class on a Scandinavian Airlines Airbus A340-300
Stopover at Copenhagen for 14 days while we take a cruise. I'm using 50k Club Carlson pts to stay 2 nights at the Radisson Blu Royal Hotel

CPH to FRA Business Class on a Lufthansa Airbus A320
FRA to HKG Business Class on a Lufthansa Boeing 747-8 Intercontinental
Hong Kong is our final destination and we will visit family for 3 nights. I used my 2 free suites certificates and 22k Hyatt pts to book 3 nights at the Grand Hyatt Hong Kong. 2 of the 3 nights will be in the "Grand Executive Harbor Suite."

HKG to ICN Incheon Business Class on an Asiana Airlines Airbus A321
ICN to LAX Business Class on Asiana Airlines Boeing 777-200LR

I've never flown First or Business Class before so I'm excited.

What do you all think? Does any segment stand out that worries you or that you think I will particularly enjoy? Are there any specific seats on any of these airlines that I should avoid or try and grab? Any general advice for a rookie like me?
Old Sep 22, 2013, 12:59 pm

Programs: AA, SWA, CO, UA, PC Plat, HH Gold, SPG
I'm sure some of the experts will be here soon to tell you it could have been done for half the miles/points :-) But I think you done good - sounds like a great trip!!!! Enjoy.
Old Sep 22, 2013, 1:28 pm

Programs: DL Plat, UA Gold, Bonvoy Titanium, Hilton Credit Card Diamond

Looks like a great trip to this novice! How far out is the trip? I ask because I'd love to fly on the Lufthansa 747-8, but I never see business class space until the last minute on the IAD-FRA route. If that route is on that frequently has availability months out I'll have to look into it.
Old Sep 22, 2013, 1:39 pm
Original Poster

Thanks everyone! My trip is in May and June 2014.
Old Sep 22, 2013, 4:22 pm

Programs: UA 1K HH Diamond, SPG Platinum

pretty well done.
Old Sep 22, 2013, 6:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM SK EBG LATAM BL
Flights wise, you ve done very well ^

You are starting out with the worst (UA domestic, SK slopey seats) and gradually getting better as you go along

Keep in mind CPH-FRA is actually a coach seat in front of a curtain on this short flight.
Old Sep 22, 2013, 11:38 pm

Looks great! You got excellent value for your miles.

I would say DO NOT EAT any food before your flights as you will probably have meals on each flight and probably 2 meals on some of them

The 747-8 Intercontinental is excellent in Biz. I just flew on it ORD to FRA .

The one thing to keep in mind at least for me.... I fell asleep and missed 1 meal on each flight, I didn't mind it much as I had 4 meals on 4 flights in 1 day, but it would of been nice to at least decide, maybe tell the FAs to wake you up and don't skip your meal service if you are ZzZzzZing ahead of time.

Which part did you book with US miles?
Old Sep 23, 2013, 8:08 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by oyouno
Looks great! You got excellent value for your miles.

Which part did you book with US miles?
I booked 2 tickets, 1 ticket with UA and 1 ticket with US Airways. Stated differently, the entire itinerary is booked on US miles. I did the 90k award to Asia through Europe trick.

Does anyone have any seating advice for me?

Last edited by mia; Sep 23, 2013 at 8:37 am Reason: Combine consecutive replies
Old Sep 23, 2013, 8:46 am

What's particularly good about it is knowing to book as two round trips to get stop overs and to use your US miles, even though you used two different sources of miles. It's a shame you had to use 120k UA for the second ticket when it only would have required 90k US, but sometimes you gotta use what you got.

One issue on seperate tickets like that is irregular operations. You will be dealing with two different tickets and potentially two different companies in any rebooking scenario.

Take pictures on the SK flight and consider doing a trip report. Long-haul SAS flights in C are not well reviewed and it would really be good info for people.

Last edited by lkar; Sep 23, 2013 at 2:19 pm
Old Sep 23, 2013, 12:53 pm

Programs: DL Spam; SPG Gold; other randoms
Well done! Enjoy the flights!
Old Sep 23, 2013, 1:18 pm

Programs: UA
You did great with pretty complex routing. Something there to tickle the fancy of many an ft'er. Suite at the HK Grand Hyatt will be superb. Never flown business on Lufthansa, but I'd expect FRA-HKG to be a highlight.
Old Sep 23, 2013, 5:37 pm

Programs: HHonors Silver

sna and lax are not considered open jaw?
Old Sep 23, 2013, 6:57 pm

Programs: AA ExPlat, UA Silver, Marriott Lifetime Gold
I am just starting to learn about booking award travel, but this seems like an awesome trip. A great value for sure.

I agree, though, that irrops might make it tricky, but I've found agents are usually helpful and accommodating in such situations when there's people traveling together under two separate reservations.
Old Sep 23, 2013, 7:52 pm

Programs: SPG Gold, Hyatt Platinum, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by Youpaiyou
I used my 2 free suites certificates and 22k Hyatt pts to book 3 nights at the Grand Hyatt Hong Kong. 2 of the 3 nights will be in the "Grand Executive Harbor Suite."
Assuming the suites are the result of Diamond (or a challenge), you will likely get all three nights in a suite. If not proactively offered to you, ask. Perhaps offer to spend three nights in a lower level suite (assuming Grand Executive is above standard suite, unless of course you don't mind moving rooms).
Old Sep 23, 2013, 9:50 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by allanfan
sna and lax are not considered open jaw?
Nope. That surprised me too. SNA is considered "LAX."

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.