Gifting miles for wedding present

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Gifting miles for wedding present

Search this Thread

Old Jun 4, 2013, 1:20 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plat, Delta Diamond, IHG Plat, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Globalist
If you have a certain status level, you can just book the trip and surprise them with it (try to get a feel of dates they would be able to travel), and if you guessed wrong, you can redeposit for free. This is what I am doing for a relative's wedding present.
Old Jun 5, 2013, 11:01 pm

Programs: A loyal Amerisuites customer... oh wait
I agree with not transferring points; offer to do the booking from your account. Maybe make a fake gift certificate or something.

Be sure to be clear from the outset whether you are also springing for the taxes and fees. Depending on the destination and the airline or hotel, that could be significant. You want to avoid any misunderstandings.
Old Dec 20, 2013, 8:19 pm
jyh

Originally Posted by sahiljain22
+1 - do not transfer!

I have often booked the tickets and given them a surprise, and absorbed the change fee. Its cheaper than paying fees to transfer the miles!!!

For example, on United, its better to book the flight if its 21+ days in advance, then if they need to change, just pay the $75 change fee. It is the same as booking for them last minute and paying the $75 last-minute booking fee. Based on your AA status, something similar could be worked out.

So I would say, surprise them with a ticket, and tell them its fairly changeable.
I was ready to gift my miles to our son for Christmas and then I read about all the fees on United. I don't recall Continental charging fees but could be wrong. Regardless, your post said something I'm questioning. How can you purchase a ticket for someone else? I thought with NSA and all the ticket had to be in your name. Am I to understand I can buy his tickets with my miles and no fees in his name?
Old Dec 20, 2013, 8:28 pm

Originally Posted by jyh
I was ready to gift my miles to our son for Christmas and then I read about all the fees on United. I don't recall Continental charging fees but could be wrong. Regardless, your post said something I'm questioning. How can you purchase a ticket for someone else? I thought with NSA and all the ticket had to be in your name. Am I to understand I can buy his tickets with my miles and no fees in his name?
Yes, it's that easy!
Old Dec 20, 2013, 8:31 pm
jyh

Awesome. Merry Christmas to you too.
Old Dec 20, 2013, 9:52 pm

Programs: A loyal Amerisuites customer... oh wait
Originally Posted by jyh
Right. Depending on where the flight is coming from or going to, you'll want to make sure to spell the name exactly as it appears on passport documents, etc. You may need passport numbers, etc. too. And all that stuff.

But, no, there's no restriction about who you can buy your ticket for.

More info at:
https://www.united.com/web/en-us/con...ghtsearch.aspx

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.