Wiki Posts
Search

Destination: Seychelles from North America [Consolidated]

Search this Thread

Old Mar 14, 2012, 7:39 pm
Original Poster

Programs: HH Diamond, SPG Gold, CC Gold, AA Platinum, UA Gold
Destination: Seychelles from North America [Consolidated]

Many, many thanks to the collective wisdom of the posters on these forums; over the past couple of years, I've used your suggestions to accumulate a modest balance in several frequent traveler accounts. Although I can usually ferret out an answer for myself, I really need some advice on a special trip I'm planning for my wife. We have nine young children and rarely (VERY rarely) get a chance to travel by ourselves, so when we do get away, I try to make our vacations extra special. Can any of you help?!

Here's the situation. I have 300K AA miles, 250K Ultimate Rewards, and 100K Membership Rewards. My wife has 300k AA miles. I want to fly from CLE to SEZ in first class in March, 2013.

I am planning on using 180k AA miles pp to fly round trip 1st class on Etihad from CLE-JFK-AUH, but don't think the additional 90k for the AUH-SEZ portion in business class is worth the redemption value, given that the fares are roughly $1500. One thought I have is to utilize the complimentary limo service to transfer to DBX (2.5 hours) and fly on Emirates in their first class suites. It would give us a chance to sample two of the world's finest first class products in one trip. The question is how to book those first class suites on Emirates. The only two options I can come up with are:

1. Transfer the ultimate rewards to Korean Air and use 105k Skypass miles to book Emirates 1st class from DBX to SEZ. I've read conflicting accounts regarding Emirates making the first class seats available to Korean Air Skypass members. I don't want to transfer the miles to only find out they will be wasted.

2. Start accumulating Alaska Air miles, given their pending reward redemption agreement with Emirates. I could probably accrue enough miles in the next six months utilizing the various BofA, SPG, and Fidelity offers to book a first class suite on EK.

Are there better options out there, and am I missing something?
Old Mar 14, 2012, 7:58 pm

Programs: United Hotcake Preferred
200K AA per person from CLE-MRU on AA and BA + about $500 pp r/t from MRU to SEZ on Air Seychelles in Y? The MRU-SEZ leg is only 1100 miles.
Old Mar 14, 2012, 8:07 pm
Original Poster

Programs: HH Diamond, SPG Gold, CC Gold, AA Platinum, UA Gold
I'd considered this award, but when you add in the cost of the flight from MRU plus the BA fees, I'm at about the same cost as just buying the EY Business Class seat from AUH-SEZ and would not have used the extra 20k AA miles. Thanks very much for the suggestion, though.
Old Mar 14, 2012, 8:48 pm

What about transferring Ultimate Rewards to United and redeeming on Qatar from Doha to SEZ? It's 90K r/t in business or 120K r/t in first per person if you can find a "saver" award. You can get from CLE to Doha on Etihad.
Old Mar 15, 2012, 10:36 am

Honestly, though, this sounds like a waste of miles. Personally I really don't feel it's worthwhile to blow all those AA miles when a Star Alliance or UA partner award would only be 120K per person r/t in Biz from the CLE to Africa. I would just transfer 240K Chase UR to United and book a combination of United and Qatar. Granted, you would need to find "saver" inventory but this far out you should be able to do so. The same award in first would be 150K Ultimate Rewards per person. Perhaps you could find a way to make up the difference if first class is really important to you.

Last edited by Alpha; Mar 15, 2012 at 10:43 am
Old Feb 18, 2013, 8:44 am

Programs: UA PLAT, TK GLD, Hilton Diamond, IC PLAT, SPG GLD, Marriott GLD
Miles/points for Seychelles/Maldives/Bora Bora

I started the thread [Primer] Using Points for French Polynesia and would like to do a similar one for Maldives and possible Seychelles.

I find it slightly more complicated getting to SEZ than the other 2 destinations and would like feedback from people who have gone there. I read 3 reports that it was an expensive, crime riddled, average destination.

So, is SEZ worth it relative to Maldives or French Polynesia?

If it is, I can easily find *A options, but how would you use OW to get there?
Old Feb 18, 2013, 10:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry: BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.1030 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/417)

Currently, no oneworld carrier serves SEZ. That will change once QR joins oneworld (probably by early 2014).

If you have AA miles, you can get to SEZ now on EY via AUH, but two separate awards (North America-Middle East, and Middle East-Africa) would be required if starting from North America.
Old Feb 18, 2013, 11:12 am

Originally Posted by stupidzbu
I started the thread [Primer] Using Points for French Polynesia and would like to do a similar one for Maldives and possible Seychelles.

I find it slightly more complicated getting to SEZ than the other 2 destinations and would like feedback from people who have gone there. I read 3 reports that it was an expensive, crime riddled, average destination.

So, is SEZ worth it relative to Maldives or French Polynesia?
I've been to the Seychelles three times, and will return. What would you like to know?

I find cost levels to be on par with central/western Europe, but if you choose the most luxurious hotels/resorts, it will be very, very expensive. You can have a wonderful time there on a budget as well - it all depends on what you want to experience.

Re crime: There have been some thefts from tourists leaving their belongings on beaches while going swimming, but a recently introduced 5 year minimum prison sentence for theft, the problem is decreasing rapidly. I've never ever felt unsafe in the Seychelles, use common sense as you would elsewhere and you'll be fine.
Old Feb 18, 2013, 6:04 pm

Programs: Flying Blue Gold and Virgin America for a few months
Did you stay on the same island as the Airport ?

what is the cost for a decent safe hotel room 2-3 star , How much is a Coke or local soft drink . or a beer at a grocery store ?

Are there beaches that anyone can go to that are as nice as the resort beaches ?

I always wanted to go , but $300-$400 a night hotels are not in my budget

Thanks for the info....
Old Feb 19, 2013, 7:35 am

Originally Posted by soarer
Did you stay on the same island as the Airport ?

what is the cost for a decent safe hotel room 2-3 star , How much is a Coke or local soft drink . or a beer at a grocery store ?

Are there beaches that anyone can go to that are as nice as the resort beaches ?

I always wanted to go , but $300-$400 a night hotels are not in my budget

Thanks for the info....
I usually stay in a low cost self-catering villa on Praslin, and in a $4-500 resort hotel on the main island of Mahé a couple of days before my departure.

The Seychelles have loads of guest houses/B&B's/self catering villas etc. I'd rather stay in one of those than in a 2-3 star hotel that doesn't offer much more - you'll be out enjoying the beaches and exploring the islands all day anyway so no real need to spend much on accommodation. It is possible to spend insane amounts for staying in the most luxurious resorts on the private islands, but it really depends on what you want to do

There are plenty of very good guest houses/B&B's/self catering villas on Mahé, Praslin and La Digue that cost around €40-50 per person per day, breakfast included. They are safe, and usually have staff on site all the time.

A local SeyBrew beer will cost you SCR 23, about €1.30. Can/bottle of soft drink about the same. A local take-away curry around SCR 20.

Yes, there are plenty of nice beaches that are open to the public, Anse Georgette, Anse Lazio + + + on Praslin, and many more on the other islands.

Go there, you won't regret it.
Old Feb 19, 2013, 11:30 am

Programs: UA PLAT, TK GLD, Hilton Diamond, IC PLAT, SPG GLD, Marriott GLD
to followup on this... are there any properties with any major hotel chains that people hoard points for like Bora Bora or Maldives?

How do you get around from one spot to the other? Public transport? Car?

And what does inter-island transport look like? $500 a ticket like in Maldives, or something more reasonable?
Old Feb 19, 2013, 1:52 pm

Programs: All of 'em
Hilton has a few properties as does SPG.

Some more info:
http://www.nomadicmatt.com/travel-gu...he-seychelles/
Old Feb 19, 2013, 3:17 pm

Originally Posted by stupidzbu
to followup on this... are there any properties with any major hotel chains that people hoard points for like Bora Bora or Maldives?

How do you get around from one spot to the other? Public transport? Car?

And what does inter-island transport look like? $500 a ticket like in Maldives, or something more reasonable?
3 Hilton properties by May 2013, 2 SPG properties.
It's easy to get around as there are plenty of bus routes (except on La Digue) but I'd recommend renting a car as it will give you a lot more freedom to explore either Praslin or Mahé.
Inter-island transport is either by HSC Cat Cocos (€45 one way from Mahé to Praslin for non-residents) or by Air Seychelles' Twin Otter (more expensive, around €160-200 one way). You can get from Praslin to La Digue for €25 return. Helicopter is also available, but then you're looking at €6-800 one way.
Old Feb 19, 2013, 5:35 pm

Hyatt in the Maldives.
Old Feb 20, 2013, 9:53 am

Programs: All of 'em
Book the Hiltons soon since they just skyrocketed in miles.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.