Reload this Page >

Mileage/Award Ticket Brokers: Are they legit? [consolidated]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 23, 2015, 11:33 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: aBroadAbroad
Please read this wiki before posting questions or comments.
Are they legit? Short answer: No

Virtually all award programs prohibit the sale, barter and purchase of awards and/or miles (except through channels specifically identified in the program T&C and/or endorsed by the program). Many airlines are known to audit their FFPs for such fraudulent transactions, and to aggressively enforce their programs' rules.

By definition, so-called "mileage" brokers are not legitimate. It is important to understand that they do not actually broker miles, but rather act as a middle-man to facilitate the purchase of award tickets. The seller redeems miles from his/her account for an award in a buyer's name. The broker pays the seller on behalf of the buyer. A clear audit trail is left in the process.

Consequences

If this activity is identified by the airline, the seller will lose any miles remaining in his/her account, the account will be terminated, and the seller will be banned from participating in that airline's program. The seller may also be subject to payment of monetary damages. Buyers, when attempting to travel on a purchased award, may be denied boarding at any point on the itinerary. At best, a special trip might not happen. At worst, the buyer might be stranded halfway around the world and forced to purchase a significantly more expensive one-way ticket in order to get home.

Moderator Note

Please be reminded that FlyerTalk Rules prohibit posts that support, encourage or promote fraudulent activities against individuals or companies.
Posts naming specific mileage brokers and/or containing links to broker websites
may be redacted or deleted.
Print Wikipost

Mileage/Award Ticket Brokers: Are they legit? [consolidated]

Search this Thread

Old Apr 26, 2015, 6:06 pm

Programs: AA Plat, HH Diamond, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by eshinn
Just wanted to know if it was illegal to buy reward miles from other websites
Originally Posted by eshinn
I wanted to buy 113,000 miles for a first class ticket.
Your post has been merged with this consolidated thread. I recommend you look at the wikipost and read through the rest of the thread. Also, visit the linked FT threads about the types of problems that come up with this type of activity.

If you still wish to buy miles, consider doing so through the airlines' own websites. This can still often achieve significant savings over a published first class fare.

Good luck.
Old May 17, 2015, 7:31 pm

Originally Posted by Often1
All kinds of urban myths such as saying it's OK to do it once. It's not.

For all you know, you are buying from an undercover airline operation !
haha
Old May 19, 2015, 9:48 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Oh, wow, all of these low-post-count members claiming wonderful experiences with black market mileage transactions! @:-)

That's not suspicious at all.
Old May 19, 2015, 10:02 am

Originally Posted by pinniped
Oh, wow, all of these low-post-count members claiming wonderful experiences with black market mileage transactions! @:-)

That's not suspicious at all.
Weird... they all have 8 postings.
Old May 21, 2015, 10:04 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by FTwatcher
Weird... they all have 8 postings.
If you count "haha" as a post.
Old Jul 5, 2015, 11:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
FT isn't the appropriate place to be looking for a broker

Last edited by beckoa; Jul 7, 2015 at 5:57 am Reason: Removed deleted quote
Old May 7, 2016, 3:31 pm

Hi there,

though i've been reading through this thread i still not know,
whether the following constellation could be a problem or not.
The typical miles selling websites do offer KrisFlyer miles,
and im pretty sure, they get these from Amex Reward points,
as any other way (i know of) of generating KrisFlyer miles is a lot more expensive,
than 1,8 ct./mile.

If i have a clean KrisFlyer account (no mileage balance to lose) and directly book an award ticket, is there a potential problem? Does anyone has experience with buying Krisflyer miles?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.