Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Information Desk
Reload this Page >

Best option for using points to Sochi Russia in 2014 (Olympics)?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Best option for using points to Sochi Russia in 2014 (Olympics)?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 8, 2013, 3:03 pm

Bumping to see if anyone has had luck finding any available chain hotels, points or paid. Most of the Russian hotels' websites are only in Russian for the reservation portion. As far as chains, I can't find any booking information for the Doubletree, Marriott, and Pullman hotels cited in this thread. The Sheraton's not opening until 2016 and the Hyatt's not bookable yet.

For those of us who filled out a ticket expression of interest, the deadline is Sunday morning to confirm those tickets before they are turned over to the public sale. I would love to go to Sochi, but I'm not committing to tickets without a place to stay. Like the rest of you, I'm not that worried about flights.

Please post if you have any more information or if you've actually confirmed a booking.
Old Feb 8, 2013, 3:06 pm
Original Poster

Programs: HHonors Gold, Club Carlson Gold, Marriott Platinum, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat
I haven't found out any more information on hotels, but that's not going to stop me from buying some of my event tickets by Sunday.

I'm confident that I'll find some way to get plane tickets to the Olympics and that I'll figure something out in regards to hotels. But, either way, I've had my mind set on going to the Olympics in Sochi, so it's happening!

I'll just have to fill in the holes in my plans as they become available...
Old Feb 8, 2013, 5:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
I was debating this myself. The interesting thing about the winter olympics is that airlines tend NOT to blackout the dates like they do for xmas, spring break, etc. because winter TATL demand is low (hence those US and AA "reduced mileage" options) so you can often find seats. A friend of mine even booked a last minute Delta economy ticket for $650 RT from SAN-MXP a week before the Turin games (he never pressed "buy" when he though he got the tix months earlier).

That being said, the vast majority of connection are currently from Moscow, so I would not be surprised to find flights into Moscow booked. As opposed to Vancouver (where SEA was an option) or Turin and London (many nearby airports). But who knows...

I was a little nervous boarding Aeroflot recently for a trip to the black sea, and was pleasantly surprised to find decent service on par with USA. They fly mostly modern Airbus and Boeing planes, would not hesitate to fly Aeroflot again. Our security team also recommends S7. Some of the other Russian carriers, well, I think I might pass.

You are smart to book early if you want to use miles. The harder part will be finding accommodations. The IOC and media usually pre-book all of the nice hotels, so the average joe gets screwed unless you are willing to pay a fortune. On the plus side there are often private homes that are quite reasonable, and if you are willing to gamble you can wait for last minute price reductions. We found a 2 BR condo in Park City for $200/nt about 2 weeks before the 2002 games began.

BTW, be sure to order tickets now, they just went on sale.
Old Feb 8, 2013, 8:42 pm

Originally Posted by Boraxo
BTW, be sure to order tickets now, they just went on sale.
They did? Where?
Old Feb 9, 2013, 3:08 pm
fti
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lots of programs, dirt on all of them!
Originally Posted by TNTravelGuy
I would love to go to Sochi, but I'm not committing to tickets without a place to stay. Like the rest of you, I'm not that worried about flights.
Unfortunately planning travel to the olympics is not that simple as "I'm not committing to tickets without a place to stay." With the olympics, you confirm each portion of the trip (flights, lodging, entrance tickets) at the first opportunity you have and trust that all three will fall into place. If you don't do it this way, you usually won't be able to confirm all three (or often two of the three) at the same time.

I confirmed my EOI and purchased the tickets even though I might not even go to the olympics. But I am confident that if I don't go, I will be able to unload the tickets.

Originally Posted by CanadianProf
They did? Where?
Until Sunday morning, only those who completed an EOI can purchase tickets. Sale to the general public starts on Monday.
Old Feb 9, 2013, 6:26 pm

Originally Posted by fti
Until Sunday morning, only those who completed an EOI can purchase tickets. Sale to the general public starts on Monday.
Thanks. That's what I thought, but I wanted to make sure I wasn't missing some information. I, too, purchased the tickets I was offered via the EOI.

Super stoked to be going to Sochi!
Old Feb 12, 2013, 4:04 pm

Programs: AA, UA, SQ, VA, QF, AF, BA
Wow, just for curiosity I looked at the prices for figure skating, they START at $361 AUD cat 2 for Aussies! And that's per person! I do love figure skating and it's the only sport I do like but over $700 for a couple is insane! Looks like I'll be buying the Foxtel special event package.
Old Feb 12, 2013, 4:33 pm

Yes, the tickets are VERY expensive. I managed to get several figure skating tickets (Pairs short and free programmes, Men Short and Free programmes, as well as the Team Events). I tried to justify the insane price to myself with the fact that the two of us will fly over on points! Well, I hope so, anyhow...

At the moment, the only way to fly all the way to Sochi using Star Alliance airlines is to take Turkish airlines from IST-AER, but their schedule is quite sparse. Am I right about this?

I'll be flying from CLE. I have enough Aeroplan miles (over 210,000) for two business class seats. I also have 100,000+ in AMEX membership rewards points, 100,000+ BA Avios, and we each have 60,000+ USAirways miles. Does anyone have any better ideas for me? The two of us don't mind flying in coach if need be. Thanks!

Last edited by CanadianProf; Feb 14, 2013 at 8:10 am
Old Feb 13, 2013, 11:52 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold, HHonors Diamond
For Star Alliance you can fly through Moscow. The problem is that you need to probably overnight in Moscow and pay for the flight to Sochi.

The flight to Sochi through IST is also an issue. The only flight from IST to AER is basically at midnight and gets into AER at 4:00 A.M. Since there is only one flight I doubt that Turkish will release awards on that flight. Also, the TK flights are only M,W, and F.

I figure that we will probably go a couple of days early and spend the time in Moscow.

As for hotels in Sochi, I have not seen when any of the US chains will be allowing reservations. Also, if Sochi is anything like Vancouver or London, corporations or Olympic committees will have booked the entire hotel -so no rooms will be bookable for cash, much less awards. Hope I am wrong on this.

Last edited by deant; Feb 14, 2013 at 11:06 am
Old Feb 14, 2013, 6:08 am
Original Poster

Programs: HHonors Gold, Club Carlson Gold, Marriott Platinum, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat
Yeah... after my post the other day about me going no matter what, I ended up passing on the tickets.

I REALLY wanted to go to Russia to see the snowboarding, but ended up deciding that with so many unknowns about the possibility of points flights and hotel rooms that I wasn't about to drop a minimum of $1k on tickets to then have to spend another few thousand on hotel rooms and then maybe have to spend a bunch more money on connecting flights, etc.

Instead, my wife and I are going to go to the X Games in Aspen. Not nearly the same level, but I really only cared to see the snowboarding in person. I love watching the Olympics on TV, but I can't afford to attend all of the events that I love to watch on TV for a week!

If it turns out that points flights and points rooms are available, I'll work on getting event tickets. But I don't see that as likely, so X Games it is!
Old Feb 14, 2013, 9:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
Originally Posted by SkinsFan0521
Yeah... after my post the other day about me going no matter what, I ended up passing on the tickets.
Me too. I love the Winter Games but when Sochi was announced I said "where?" and pretty much wrote it off as being too much of a PITA to get to. As it turns out the Russians have poured billions into preparations so I think Sochi will end up being a great place for visitors. But still a PITA for US travelers as you are pretty much relegated to flying via Moscow.

I guess I will wait until the games return to Western Europe or North America, which is at least a decade away.

I was surprised at how quickly tickets sold, but I suspect there will be plenty for sale on the open market when the games open, and many will be discounted. It's not like Canada where the locals can afford $200 to see a hockey game. (I almost fainted after paying $8 for seats on the glass at Moscow professional hockey game a couple of months ago)
Old Feb 15, 2013, 7:31 am

Programs: Too many to list
Originally Posted by Boraxo
It's not like Canada where the locals can afford $200 to see a hockey game. (I almost fainted after paying $8 for seats on the glass at Moscow professional hockey game a couple of months ago)
This is not your regular KHL game. This is more of a social event for many and they are ready to spend some serious cash even if they have to spend their last penny. Trust me, mentality of Russians is a bit different when it comes to things like this. I was really upset to see that they still dont have team schedules out and people have to buy tickets without knowing who's going to play. I'll wait and see.. But I don't expect to see any "discounted" tickets for hockey games unless its Kazakhstan vs Italy or something like it.
Old Feb 16, 2013, 6:20 pm

Programs: Marriott, SW, United
The flight to Sochi through IST is also an issue. The only flight from IST to AER is basically at midnight and gets into AER at 4:00 A.M. Since there is only one flight I doubt that Turkish will release awards on that flight. Also, the TK flights are only M,W, and F.
Doesn't Aeroflot fly IST-AER? With my limited search capabilities, I've seen NS flights from IST, MOW (all) and LED (Rossiya). Others will seemingly appear, I'd just like to book 330 days out.

I was able to get 75% of my wishes, including ones intended for resale. Then I learned of the spectator pass that will also be needed;

"According to the Terms and conditions of the Sochi 2014 ticketing program, to gain entry to sporting events, Games ceremonies and the Olympic Park, a ticket holder will also need to be in possession of a spectator pass. The spectator pass will help to ensure the secure, hospitable and friendly atmosphere of the Games in Sochi. The spectator pass will allow all spectators at the Games to enjoy their visit to the sporting and cultural events in maximum comfort, whilst the pass itself will prove to be a wonderful souvenir".
Old Feb 16, 2013, 6:26 pm

Originally Posted by Bud Florida
Doesn't Aeroflot fly IST-AER? With my limited search capabilities, I've seen NS flights from IST, MOW (all) and LED (Rossiya). Others will seemingly appear, I'd just like to book 330 days out.
Are you able to find availability for non-stop IST-AER on Aeroflot in the months leading up to the Olympics, even in December or January? (It doesn't seem to be in their schedule.)

Last edited by CanadianProf; Feb 16, 2013 at 6:39 pm
Old Feb 16, 2013, 7:20 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold, HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by Bored_Russian
I was really upset to see that they still dont have team schedules out and people have to buy tickets without knowing who's going to play. I'll wait and see.. But I don't expect to see any "discounted" tickets for hockey games unless its Kazakhstan vs Italy or something like it.
Not knowing who is going to play is very normal. Same thing happened in Vancouver and London. Remember, the most you could know, given a perfect world, would be the first preliminary round.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.