Wiki Posts
Search

India visa question.

Search this Thread

Old Jul 28, 2009, 7:20 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by d3vski
In my numerous trips to india over the years, ive never had the immigration officer utter a single word to me. They just stamp away. I will say good morning/good evening etc and all i will get from them is a half hearted attempt to acknowledge and shortly after passport is returned.

Just in case your business dealings will have a paper trail, i agree that you should get a business visit just to be on the safe side!

im also pretty sure my last 5 year multiple entry visa to India does not actually specifiy whether its for tourism or business. It just states five years multiple entry category x.

I will try and dig up my old passport and clarify.
All my older visa's are Entry visa's. Out of three choices, Transit, Entry, Tourist, Tourist was checked. I suppose entry visa is for people with family connections in India.
Old Jul 30, 2009, 4:49 am

As per my experiences you cann't work with this kind of visa. Visa is is only issued for tourism, family visits, and for business visits. It is not designed for work as an employee, and work of this kind is not permitted to holders of this class of visa.
Old Jul 30, 2009, 8:49 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mark123
As per my experiences you cann't work with this kind of visa. Visa is is only issued for tourism, family visits, and for business visits. It is not designed for work as an employee, and work of this kind is not permitted to holders of this class of visa.
Since this is your first post, a welcome is in order.
What work? No one is talking about work.
Old Aug 9, 2009, 2:03 am

Programs: Support the Tyrants Travel Club
When you mean 'Tourist' what is the letter type of visa that you are holding? That is, what is the first letter of the visa number?

I have an OCI visa, which starts with 'U' (as all OCI visas seem to do). It is, of course, a lifelong visa. I don't know what category it fits into, but I would not imagine that I need a separate visa to "do business" in India.

Another person in my family has the 10-year multiple entry tourist visa, but I forget the letter designation. Probably you could just check the terms on an indian consulate website.
Old Aug 9, 2009, 10:54 am

Programs: BA Gold (OW Emerald) & Jet Airways - Thank goodness i never got started.......most awful FF program
Originally Posted by Mr. Bean
When you mean 'Tourist' what is the letter type of visa that you are holding? That is, what is the first letter of the visa number?

I have an OCI visa, which starts with 'U' (as all OCI visas seem to do). It is, of course, a lifelong visa. I don't know what category it fits into, but I would not imagine that I need a separate visa to "do business" in India.

Another person in my family has the 10-year multiple entry tourist visa, but I forget the letter designation. Probably you could just check the terms on an indian consulate website.
OCI is a multi-purpose, multi-entry lifelong visa (basically Permanent Resident Status) given to people who are descendents (upto 2 generations) of those who are/were Indian Citizens. You can turn up tomorrow and live there forever!

Just checked my old 5 year visa, although the category is "X", the small print at the bottom of the visa clearly states:

Visa for tourist, non-extendable, change of purposes not allowed, not valid for protected, restricted and cantonment areas
Old Aug 10, 2009, 7:27 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by Mr. Bean

For that relative, the letter is "H" probably.
Old Aug 12, 2009, 12:19 am
Suspended
Original Poster

OCI is a multi-purpose, multi-entry lifelong visa (basically Permanent Resident Status) given to people who are descendents (upto 2 generations) of those who are/were Indian Citizens. You can turn up tomorrow and live there forever!

Just checked my old 5 year visa, although the category is "X", the small print at the bottom of the visa clearly states:

Visa for tourist, non-extendable, change of purposes not allowed, not valid for protected, restricted and cantonment areas
IS OCI available to foreign born spouses too?
Old Aug 12, 2009, 6:47 am

Programs: BA Gold (OW Emerald) & Jet Airways - Thank goodness i never got started.......most awful FF program
Originally Posted by Yaatri
IS OCI available to foreign born spouses too?
No, OCI is only available if the person qaulifies through their own lineage.

My understanding is that the PIO is available to foreign born spouses. It is the Indian version of the spouse visa.
Old Aug 13, 2009, 10:53 am
Suspended
Original Poster

No, OCI is only available if the person qaulifies through their own lineage.

My understanding is that the PIO is available to foreign born spouses. It is the Indian version of the spouse visa.
Thanks. You answered my second question whose answer I found here too. Does this mean that if a person is an OCI, their foreign born spouse is eligible to apply for a PIO card? It appears that a spouse such as ome mentiined abpve IS eligible for PIO.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.