Indian SIM card

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Indian SIM card

Search this Thread

Old Jan 7, 2014, 11:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
Originally Posted by gooselee
Thank you. Do you recommend purchasing a hotspot device there also, or procuring/unlocking one of my own before I arrive? Or even better, is there the possibility that Airtel or Vodafone will allow the rental of a device for ~1 week?
they are easily available here....i've seen some as cheap as inr 3.5k & as expensive as inr 15k....in my opinion it will be easier to just buy one here since you will be going to the airtel or vodafone store in any case to get a sim....
Old Jan 7, 2014, 11:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
Originally Posted by SuperFlyBoy
Nobody rents these that I know of.

Further, I am not sure that Airtel or Vodafone even has these as options.

You would be advised to check their websites first - but even that does not guarantee anything.
airtel & vodafone both sell them in their stores....
Old Jan 8, 2014, 12:35 am

Programs: Don't think it matters...
Originally Posted by gooselee
Thank you. Do you recommend purchasing a hotspot device there also, or procuring/unlocking one of my own before I arrive? Or even better, is there the possibility that Airtel or Vodafone will allow the rental of a device for ~1 week?
Buying a simple cheap gsm smart phone ( ~ USD 100 or cheaper), getting a data sim and enabling the phone wifi hotspot should work right ?
Old Jan 8, 2014, 12:35 am

Programs: UA*G (1K again), Sixt Plat, *was*: SQ QPP01 & SK EBS/EBG, LH SEN, AA EXP, 9wPlat
Originally Posted by abhilife2001
Buying a simple cheap gsm smart phone ( ~ USD 100 or cheaper), getting a data sim and enabling the phone wifi hotspot should work right ?
Yes, that was what I was thinking too.

Good post. ^
Old Jan 8, 2014, 7:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Scattered Smothered Covered Medallion, Some hotel & car stuff, Kroger Plus Card
Originally Posted by SuperFlyBoy
Yes, that was what I was thinking too.

Good post. ^
Thanks all. Looks like this will be my plan after I arrive!
Old Jan 8, 2014, 8:32 am

Programs: Don't think it matters...
Originally Posted by Keyser
they are easily available here....i've seen some as cheap as inr 3.5k & as expensive as inr 15k....in my opinion it will be easier to just buy one here since you will be going to the airtel or vodafone store in any case to get a sim....
For getting a data sim, there are no restrictions like local id proof / address verification is it ?
Old Jan 9, 2014, 1:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

For getting a data sim, there are no restrictions like local id proof / address verification is it ?
its the same as getting a regular sim....they will keep a copy of your passport....no need to have a local id....
Old Mar 6, 2014, 9:44 pm

Programs: Marriott Silver, Delta SkyMiles Member, Global Entry,AA Gold
what are the costs of the data and voice pre-paid plans ?
Old Mar 7, 2014, 7:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by comptr
what are the costs of the data and voice pre-paid plans ?
prices vary depending on what you are looking for....log onto either the airtel or vodafone website....they have all the information you are looking for....
Old Mar 7, 2014, 1:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Scattered Smothered Covered Medallion, Some hotel & car stuff, Kroger Plus Card
After all my fidgeting, I found out that most of India still supports CDMA and was able to add 100MB of data to my USA-based Verizon plan for only 25 USD.

The voice rates are terrible, but I just didn't make/answer any calls and the data through my existing device was sufficient for my needs. I was able to use wifi/Skype whenever I needed voice calls (granted, I never needed to place a call while out and about).
Old Jul 29, 2014, 4:21 am

Programs: Marriott Silver, Delta SkyMiles Member, Global Entry,AA Gold
Hi all I got a question do they sell sim cards in the HYD airport ?
Old Dec 3, 2014, 4:03 am

Programs: Budding BA Bronze, MPC Gold
Can anyone please recommend the best place for a tourist to buy a data/voice sim in Mumbai?

A place at the airport on arrival would be easy. We're staying at the Palladium so anywhere around Lower Parel as well.

Thanks!
Old May 9, 2015, 2:16 pm

Programs: UA 1K/MM, EK Gold, CX Silver
SIM card for Delhi

Hi,

What SIM for local phone and data can I get to use for a few days in Delhi? I don't care much about overseas call pricing if data is cheap.

Can I buy a SIM at the airport? Or where can I get one?

thanks
Old May 12, 2015, 1:09 am

Originally Posted by sabbasolo
Hi,

What SIM for local phone and data can I get to use for a few days in Delhi? I don't care much about overseas call pricing if data is cheap.

Can I buy a SIM at the airport? Or where can I get one?

thanks
You would go to a shop of one of the mobile providers like Vodafone or Airtel. The requirements can be strict (passport photo, address proof, etc.) - it is not just paying some money and putting the card in your phone. It can take a while to activate, and you may have to respond to a verification phone call first. Sometimes extra steps are required for address verification, etc., or to enable international calling or data. If you have a friend resident in India who can help you I strongly suggest enlisting their help. Not sure it is worth the hassle for only a few days in India, especially considering that some cheap international roaming plans are now available (in the US, T-Mobile Simple Choice).
Old May 13, 2015, 2:25 am

Programs: UA 1K/MM, EK Gold, CX Silver
Thanks, in fact we emailed the hotel and they will do it, we can scan/send them the required docs. Only about 100 Rs more expensive - well worth the savings in time...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.