Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > India
Reload this Page >

Transit visa - is this possible?

Old May 25, 2008, 4:15 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Star Alliance Gold, Skyteam E+, Bonvoy Titanium, Hilton Diamond

I am going to India next month, and would like to apply for a transit visa, cause it's cheaper than a regular tourist visa.

I will arrive to Delhi on Tuesday at 00:30 AM and leave for Kathmandu on Thursday at 06:30 AM - that's gives me 54 hours in Delhi. I will arrive back to Delhi after one night in Kathmandu at Friday at 11:10 AM, and leave India on Monday at 04:30 AM - that's gives me almost 66 hours in Delhi. Would it be possible to get two transit visa on this basis???

Thank you
Old May 25, 2008, 9:47 pm

Programs: BA bronze, Marriott silver
Easiest way to go would be to ask at the Indian embassy in Oslo. Its at their discretion but if 2 transit visas are possible, yes. Though, if as I think, the transit visas have a 48 hour limit each, you might be better off getting a short stay visa. Or maybe flying through BKK, DOH, DXB etc direct to KTM.

Originally Posted by skrosvik
I am going to India next month, and would like to apply for a transit visa, cause it's cheaper than a regular tourist visa.

I will arrive to Delhi on Tuesday at 00:30 AM and leave for Kathmandu on Thursday at 06:30 AM - that's gives me 54 hours in Delhi. I will arrive back to Delhi after one night in Kathmandu at Friday at 11:10 AM, and leave India on Monday at 04:30 AM - that's gives me almost 66 hours in Delhi. Would it be possible to get two transit visa on this basis???

Thank you
Old May 26, 2008, 3:35 am
Original Poster

Programs: Star Alliance Gold, Skyteam E+, Bonvoy Titanium, Hilton Diamond
I found this on the Indian Embassy's webpage:

"Transit visas are normally issued to individuals that are landing in India in transit to another country. Single or Double entry visas valid for a maximum of 15 days are issued to applicants, valid from the date issued at the embassy. Period of stay in India cannot exceed 72 hours."

The thing is that it takes 7 business days to issue a tourist visa, while transit visas are issued almost instantly. I can't leave my passport at the Embassy for over one week, as I am travelling every week until my departure to India. Just wondered if anyone else had similar experiences....?
Old May 26, 2008, 12:59 pm
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
You should get the visa in your passport the same day if you apply as one of the first in the morning.
Old Jun 5, 2008, 5:51 am

Programs: PLAT -- 2.7Million
I transitted at DEL in April without a VISA (which was permitted since I was ticketed for the first flight out to my ultimate destination -- Kathmandu), but it meant hanging out w/in DEL airport for about 9 hours. (Obviously your situation differs.)

I later regretted not getting a VISA because just one month later I returned to Delhi on vacation, this past weekend, and plan to return w/in the next year, at least to transit enroute again to Nepal, which I thoroughly enjoyed and can't wait to re-visit in order to do some serious trekking.

So for the 2nd trip (last week) I got a multiple entry Indian VISA.

Just my 2 cents worth.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.