Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > India
Reload this Page >

What if I miss intnl connection in BLR and only domestic flight alternatives?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 2, 2023, 1:45 am
Original Poster

I am booked on a ticket from Germany to CMB, Sri Lanka via Bengaluru BLR. It is all in one Lufthansa ticket and the connecting flight is on Sri Lankan Airlines (transit time is 2h05). Travelling in business class and probably I will only have handluggage.

Recently I have observed that the LH-flight FRA-BLR has been delayed every single day - sometimes up to one hour. That made me look for a back-up solution in case we would be so late that I would not reach the UL flight to CMB in time. The next direct flight is the evening the day after, i.e. about 40 hours later and that is a very bad option for me as my stay in Sri Lanka is quite short anyway. There are alternatives via BOM and DEL on the same day. However I have just realised that then I would have to enter India (immigration) as the first flight would obviously be a domestic flight.

My questions - hopefully somebody has some insight. Thanks.

1. With only hand luggage in business class how likely is it to reach the UL flight even if LH is delayed again ... i.e. if I have only around an hour to make my way to the next gate?

2. Assuming I would miss my connex flight and would be rebooked from BLR on alternative flights via DEL/BOM. How would immigration deal with that as I would not have a visa to enter the state of India? Would they issue a visa-on-arrival on such an exceptional case for a German passport holder?
Old Aug 2, 2023, 4:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
Originally Posted by Donegal
1. With only hand luggage in business class how likely is it to reach the UL flight even if LH is delayed again ... i.e. if I have only around an hour to make my way to the next gate?
An hour is doable however not advisable.

Originally Posted by Donegal
2. Assuming I would miss my connex flight and would be rebooked from BLR on alternative flights via DEL/BOM. How would immigration deal with that as I would not have a visa to enter the state of India? Would they issue a visa-on-arrival on such an exceptional case for a German passport holder?
You can apply for an E-visa in advance. You won't have an option to get it when you are there & they will not make an exception.

However, UL has direct flights from DEL as well so you could consider FRA-DEL-CMB instead of transiting in BLR.
Donegal likes this.
Old Aug 3, 2023, 1:17 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Keyser
An hour is doable however not advisable.

You can apply for an E-visa in advance. You won't have an option to get it when you are there & they will not make an exception.
Thanks a lot. That is very valuable advice. Unfortunately the ticket is fixed and I can not change through any other connex airport at this stage. Maybe I can if the LH flight out of Frankfurt is again delayed on my day of travel and they would reroute me before even entering the plane. Let's see but with the eVisa in hands I believe I am prepared for any circumstance.
Old Aug 8, 2023, 11:14 pm

Programs: AA - EXP, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, UK - Gold
Get the eVisa for worst case - there's a Taj across the terminal in BLR, can stay there.. BLR airport is very very efficient.. 1hr should be doable esp with no luggage, just identify yourself to ground staff as soon as you de-board and they will usher you through security..
Donegal likes this.
Old Aug 8, 2023, 11:21 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by galaticos
Get the eVisa for worst case - there's a Taj across the terminal in BLR, can stay there.. BLR airport is very very efficient.. 1hr should be doable esp with no luggage, just identify yourself to ground staff as soon as you de-board and they will usher you through security..
Thank you both. Very helpful.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.