Wiki Posts
Search

India Immigration

Search this Thread

Old Jul 7, 2019, 12:37 am
Original Poster

India Immigration

Hi,
I’m flying to India very soon and as I was about to do the API on my ticket I realised that there are immigration stamps on my observation page (done by Indian immigration) the passport in question is a UK passport. I do not have enough time to replace the passport as we are only offered 1 week fast track . My question is has anyone experienced this, and what is the likelihood I will be refused check in (I know it can’t be said for sure just looking for a general opinion). Also if anyone knows the contact details of Indian Immigration officers at Delhi that would be great. Thanks a lot.
Old Jul 7, 2019, 5:33 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
Indian immigration always looks for a spot somewhere in you passport to stamp. If there is space left on the observation page you'll be fine. They have stamped my passport there. The immigration office contact details can found here https://boi.gov.in/
Old Jul 7, 2019, 6:11 am

Programs: KrisFlyer Gold, Marriott & SPG Plat, Hilton Gold, ShangriLa Jade, Enterprise Plat, Taj Gold
I thought OP’s issue was that the observations page was “mutilated” not that OP was running out of pages in the passport.

I don’t think it will be a problem. More so if it was “mutilated” by Indian immigration themselves.

To get OP's & others feedback on this subject, there are many European countries now that are not accepting Indian passports with handwritten "observations page". Obviously while it must be far far easier to travel through Europe with a UK passport - have you ever faced (or heard of) this before?

Last edited by PiperAtGatesofDawn; Jul 7, 2019 at 7:02 am
Old Jul 7, 2019, 8:02 am
Original Poster

Thanks for your replies. Indian immigration put those docs ok and other boarding pass stamps on my observation page somehow (although they are very faint so look accidental but can be seen). It’s on some of my face but can still be seen clearly, should be ok right? Just hoping they don’t say anything about it at Heathrow. Also I’ve never heard of that, that’d be weird if they refused handwritten observation pages.
Old Jul 7, 2019, 8:08 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

No worries if its in your passport and you have a visa you are good to go. Past visits don't bother them that much anyway. Or is this an evisa that has been stamped in your passport for multiple visits?

Re observation page: in EU passports its almost obsolete as any significant change forces a resissue of the passport anyway.
Old Jul 7, 2019, 8:28 am
Original Poster

OCI holder here got tired of getting an Indian visa every year lol OCI is much better value. Does anyone know what the blank pages in the OCI booklet are actually for? Whenever I go they just look at the first page for .5 seconds and say ok
Old Jul 8, 2019, 2:13 am

Originally Posted by Pair124124
Hi,
I’m flying to India very soon and as I was about to do the API on my ticket I realised that there are immigration stamps on my observation page (done by Indian immigration) the passport in question is a UK passport. I do not have enough time to replace the passport as we are only offered 1 week fast track . My question is has anyone experienced this, and what is the likelihood I will be refused check in (I know it can’t be said for sure just looking for a general opinion). Also if anyone knows the contact details of Indian Immigration officers at Delhi that would be great. Thanks a lot.
Are you based in the UK ? If so, have you called the passport advice line ? I know there is a same day service though usually reserved for expired passports or passports expiring soon.
Old Jul 8, 2019, 3:11 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by JamesKidd
Are you based in the UK ? If so, have you called the passport advice line ? I know there is a same day service though usually reserved for expired passports or passports expiring soon.
Thank you for your reply! Yep called them and they said I can only be offered one week (although I’ve heard if you beg they do it the same day) but go into the office and show them the passport they’ll be able to advise you further. Went to the office they told me they didn’t even realise it until I pointed it out so it’s up to me if I want to take the risk. The issue doesn’t even stop with getting a new passport because I’ll need a renewed OCI which I won’t get in time either.
Old Jul 8, 2019, 4:06 am

Thank you for your reply! Yep called them and they said I can only be offered one week (although I’ve heard if you beg they do it the same day) but go into the office and show them the passport they’ll be able to advise you further. Went to the office they told me they didn’t even realise it until I pointed it out so it’s up to me if I want to take the risk. The issue doesn’t even stop with getting a new passport because I’ll need a renewed OCI which I won’t get in time either.
Ah ok - I'm not aware about OCI process. But I have managed to get a new passport same day because I pleaded with them as I only had one spare page remaining and was about to embark on a multi-country trip with each of the country insisting on stamping the passport.
Old Jul 8, 2019, 4:15 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by JamesKidd
Ah ok - I'm not aware about OCI process. But I have managed to get a new passport same day because I pleaded with them as I only had one spare page remaining and was about to embark on a multi-country trip with each of the country insisting on stamping the passport.
Did you make an appointment for the fast track 1 week service and then plead or just turn up there?
Old Jul 8, 2019, 5:25 am

You don't need to renew the OCI if you have a new passport, just bringing along the old passport is enough: URGENT: Emergency travel to India w/ OCI and short-expiry passport
Old Jul 8, 2019, 5:32 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by oliver2002
You don't need to renew the OCI if you have a new passport, just bringing along the old passport is enough: URGENT: Emergency travel to India w/ OCI and short-expiry passport
If you are under 20 or above 50 you have to renew the OCI aswell when renewing the passport (unfortunately I fall into this category). Also it was interesting to hear when I called the high commission of India today they said that even normally it’s best to renew the OCI booklet when renewing the passport as some airlines are refusing travel with a new passport but OCI associated with old passport.
Old Jul 8, 2019, 5:47 am

Nope see the other thread.
Old Jul 8, 2019, 10:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah

If you are under 20 or above 50 you have to renew the OCI aswell when renewing the passport (unfortunately I fall into this category). Also it was interesting to hear when I called the high commission of India today they said that even normally it’s best to renew the OCI booklet when renewing the passport as some airlines are refusing travel with a new passport but OCI associated with old passport.
i have 2 uncles who are over 50 & did not renew their oci when they renewed their passport....they just bring along their old passport as well & have never had a problem....
Old Jul 8, 2019, 10:57 am

Programs: Skywards Gold
I'm guessing the ink rubbed of your stamped BP and onto the passport observation page. It's a common annoyance because their ink doesn't dry for a solid 15 minutes and I no longer hold my BP in my passport because of this.

Doubt it's an issue.

OCI is being scrapped isn't it? Or is it PIO? One is, and being merged with the other. By the way now you can get a 1-year eVisa online, takes 10 mins to fill out.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.