Wiki Posts
Search

Recommendations in Goa, India?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 21, 2018, 12:17 am
Original Poster

Question Recommendations in Goa, India?

Hi all
I'm looking for modern luxury hotel recommendations in Goa, India as well as suggestions on what restaurants/sights to see. I'll be there for a weekend in March. Was thinking either Le Meridien or Grand Hyatt based on the photos I've seen but wondering if any other more boutique hotels are available?

Ideally the place would have a great spa, or a nice spa nearby, easy location from PNQ, and bonus points for private beach, yoga, etc.

Thanks in advance
Old Jan 21, 2018, 5:58 am

I have not been yet, but the W is actually the property that appeals to me the most in Goa. Nothing there is really high end, but it looks fun and it is a newer property. You could check the Starwood forum for more information.
Old Jan 21, 2018, 8:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by vuittonsofstyle
Park Hyatt is tired, as are the Taj properties. A butler suite at The Leela Palace Goa is probably the best bet
Originally Posted by Kagehitokiri
leela club - 20 rooms, pool, beach area (leela no longer branded palace)
alila club - 35 rooms, pool, restaurant
whereas GH club is 75 rooms and seems nothing but lounge

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; Jan 23, 2018 at 7:03 pm
Old Jan 21, 2018, 10:39 am
Original Poster

Thanks for the quick responses. The W didn't seem that nice. Interesting feedback on Park Hyatt - thanks for that. Looks like Le Meridian seems to the best one? any dining recommendations in Goa?
Old Jan 21, 2018, 11:06 am

Originally Posted by MitzEclipse
Thanks for the quick responses. The W didn't seem that nice. Interesting feedback on Park Hyatt - thanks for that. Looks like Le Meridian seems to the best one? any dining recommendations in Goa?
That discussion probably belongs on the Starwood forum. Perhaps the property has its own thread.
Old Jan 21, 2018, 3:24 pm
Moderator: Delta SkyMiles, Luxury Hotels, TravelBuzz! and Italy

Please continue to follow this thread in the FT India Forum
Thanks,
Obscure 2K
Luxury Hotels and Travel
Old Jan 21, 2018, 3:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK

Ideally the place would have a great spa, or a nice spa nearby, easy location from PNQ, and bonus points for private beach, yoga, etc.
PNQ I know is Pune airport. Does the abbreviation is have a different meaning in the Goa context?
Old Jan 21, 2018, 10:11 pm
Moderator: GLBT travelers, India-based Airlines and India; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Yes!
Definitely not Le Meridien! It is not a resort and is on busy road, with at least a 15 min walk to the beach.

Grand Hyatt is much better - especially in the grand club wing. It also has great resort facilities and a lovely award winning spa and great pools and wet area.
Old Jan 22, 2018, 1:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
what about the w didn't seem nice????i have not stayed here but i did visit the place when it first opened & i really liked it....
Old Jan 22, 2018, 3:47 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by IAN-UK
PNQ I know is Pune airport. Does the abbreviation is have a different meaning in the Goa context?
whoops sorry meant Goa Airport. (I’m flying from PNQ)
Old Jan 22, 2018, 3:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK

whoops sorry meant Goa Airport. (I’m flying from PNQ)
Which, confusingly, is GOI
Old Jan 23, 2018, 3:58 pm

Programs: QR: Gold; Marriott: Amb; UA: 1K; Taj: Silv
Not the W

Originally Posted by Keyser
what about the w didn't seem nice????i have not stayed here but i did visit the place when it first opened & i really liked it....
The W has some godawful reviews on their website. 3.3 out of 5 and only 33% of the guests recommend it. If you read the descriptions, it's enough to make you not want to stay there, unless you like the smell of sewage.

The 3 that I like a lot are the Vivanta, Leela and Lalit. The first two if you are all adults, the third if you are with kids.

For food, go to Britto's on Baga Beach. It's definitely not high end, but it's fun, on the beach and great value. Seafood is fresh too, and half the price for the same quality seafood at Fisherman's Wharf or other restaurants. All the luxury resorts have great grilled seafood too, but Britto's is an experience unto itself.
Old Jan 23, 2018, 4:04 pm

Funny...the W has removed most of its older reviews from the website.
Old Jan 23, 2018, 4:18 pm

I am going to be in Goa at the end of February- I noticed in one post a comment that India is not a good beach destination. Can you clarify? Should I reconsider going to Goa?
Old Jan 24, 2018, 5:54 am

Originally Posted by sacthatsme
I am going to be in Goa at the end of February- I noticed in one post a comment that India is not a good beach destination. Can you clarify? Should I reconsider going to Goa?
Goa is a relaxing destination, where it's more about the ambience and the lifestyle than it is just about the beach. You can have a nice time on the beach too, but if the beach-time is your main focus, the Maldives or Sri Lanka or Andaman are probably far better choices.

Think of Goa's beaches as a place to hang out on the sand, have really cheap beer, really fresh seafood that's caught daily, maybe do some paragliding and jet skiing, and take an occasional dip in the water, while you recover from being out most of the night dancing, so that you can do it again.

I've been to many beach destinations in my life; Goa was different and really enjoyable precisely because it wasn't just about the beach.
AJLondon likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.