Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Need help asap-Daughter overstayed her Visa

Search this Thread

Old Sep 2, 2017, 8:16 am
Original Poster

Need help asap-Daughter overstayed her Visa

Daughter has called from Delhi airport, they won't let her get on the plane back to USA. What is the best way to handle this. How long will this take to get sorted. I am trying to book a new ticket for her.
Old Sep 2, 2017, 8:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold, Hyatt something
Originally Posted by marlin
Daughter has called from Delhi airport, they won't let her get on the plane back to USA. What is the best way to handle this. How long will this take to get sorted. I am trying to book a new ticket for her.
How long has she overstayed her visa? US citizen?
Old Sep 2, 2017, 8:21 am
Original Poster

Not sure. Maybe several months. Yes, US citizen studying on fellowship.
Old Sep 2, 2017, 8:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold, Hyatt something
Not sure. Maybe several months. Yes, US citizen studying on fellowship.
I've read of a fine ($30 per day?) for short overstays. Months could be a totally different story.

I've seen foreigners locked up in Indonesia for long overstays. I hope your daughter has a better resolution!
Old Sep 2, 2017, 9:19 am
Original Poster

Just learned-35 days. India.
Old Sep 2, 2017, 9:42 am

Programs: BA Gold, HH Diamond, Marriott Gold
Officers at airport may have instructed on next steps - if not, a visit to the FRRO in Delhi may be required. There is a fine of $30 or so + visa extension fees + possible other docs (police clearance etc.) which may be required depending on the nature of visit and overstay. She needs to ask for an exit permit/visa due to overstay
Old Sep 2, 2017, 10:10 am

Programs: UA Gold, SPG Gold
The LA Times had a horror story about a visa overstay in India. After reading it I never want to overstay a visa.

http://www.latimes.com/travel/deals/la-tr-india-20160906-snap-story.html
Old Sep 2, 2017, 10:58 am
Original Poster

Thanks Acid and Wyseson,
These are both very helpful. We have an idea of what she needs to do.

Do you think she needs a lawyer/agent at the FRRO?

I am going to document her steps here to let others know, if they are faced with this same problem.
Jaimito Cartero likes this.
Old Sep 2, 2017, 1:47 pm

Programs: BA Gold, HH Diamond, Marriott Gold
I dont think a lawyer is needed, but a letter of support from the head of the place where she did her fellowship will definately help!
I know a student who was allowed to leave once she produced a letter from the head of the yoga institute she was attending in India (her first visit to FRRO yielded nothing)
Old Sep 2, 2017, 1:55 pm
Original Poster

Acid,
Thank you! I will definitely advise her to get this.
Old Sep 2, 2017, 9:52 pm

Programs: AA; Delta GM
Marlin - I have no words of wisdom, but I hope it works out for your daughter. Please share with us what happens next? Thank you!!
Old Sep 3, 2017, 3:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
Do you think she needs a lawyer/agent at the FRRO?
she should not need a lawyer but in the unlikely event that she does then i would be happy to assist in whatever way i can....please pm me if you need help....
Old Sep 3, 2017, 5:28 am
Original Poster

Keyser, that is so nice of you, thank you!

She is currently getting organized and has printed out all the documents, both required and recommended from the FRRO website.

They are: Current ticket to USA (she changed and paid the change fee for leaving three days later), personally I am not sure that is long enough but will keep my fingers crossed. Form Cs (places she has stayed since overstaying), Passport, VISA, Letter from Fellowship, Copy of ticket when she last entered India, 2 Passport Photos.

She was able to "apply" for an appointment at FRRO which is tomorrow morning.

The missing piece I think she needs is something from the Police but I don't know what that would be nor does she.
Old Sep 3, 2017, 5:36 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by wyseson
The LA Times had a horror story about a visa overstay in India. After reading it I never want to overstay a visa.

http://www.latimes.com/travel/deals/...nap-story.html
The link doesn't work.

ADDED: but the link in the quote above does work.

Last edited by MSPeconomist; Sep 3, 2017 at 5:44 am
Old Sep 3, 2017, 7:07 am

Programs: UA *G. DL ̶G̶O̶L̶D̶ Member, Hilton/SPG Gold, Hertz PC
For whast its worth if you can find an Indian lawyer it may smooth the process. There is still very much an old boys network in india. While never in this same boat I did find that having a company attorney very much expedited my long term visa processing and paperwork. At the time I recall speaking with a german gentleman who was on his 3rd or 4th day of waiting in the local precinct to have his processed.

Good luck

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.