Wiki Posts
Search

Itinerary suggestions?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 27, 2016, 5:47 am
Original Poster

Programs: BD*G, BAGold, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat
Itinerary suggestions?

I will have 2 weeks in India at the end of September and was looking for some advice as to what to see. The Oberoi exotic vacations will help make luxury a lot more affordable so will be mainly looking to stay in these properties where possible. Here is my rough itinerary at the moment:

Day 1: Arrive Mumbai. Oberoi Mumbai
Day 2: Oberoi Mumbai
Day 3: Fly to Jodhpur. Umaid Bhawan Palace
Day 4: Umaid Bhawan Palace
Day 5: Drive/Train to Udaipur. Oberoi Udaivilas
Day 6: Oberoi Udaivilas
Day 7: Oberoi Udaivilas
Day 8: Fly to Jaipur. Oberoi Rajvilas
Day 9: Oberoi Rajvilas
Day 10: Drive/Train to Agra. Oberoi Amarvilas
Day 11: Oberoi Amarvilas
Day 12: Drive/Train to Delhi. Leela Palace
Day 13: Leela Palace
Day 14: Fly back to UK

Any suggestions to add. We don't mind cutting somewhere out and going somewhere different if it is really worth visiting? Would love to visit one of the Amans but at $800/night it's a little out of our price range.
Old Jun 27, 2016, 5:56 am

I don't see how you can do Delhi justice in two nights. On other hand, I'm not a great fan of Bombay, and wouldn't regard it as a must-see.

My general impression is that you're moving around too much. India just isn't a country that rewards that style of travel very well.
Old Jun 27, 2016, 6:10 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by 889
I don't see how you can do Delhi justice in two nights. On other hand, I'm not a great fan of Bombay, and wouldn't regard it as a must-see.

My general impression is that you're moving around too much. India just isn't a country that rewards that style of travel very well.
Part of the problem is that in order to get the deal with Oberoi I have to spend at least 2 nights in either Oberoi Mumbai or Oberoi Gurgaon. Technically I could use the Oberoi Gurgaon as a base to visit Delhi attractions so could Just start in Delhi instead in order to get more time there?

I understand that I am moving around a fair bit but with only 14 days it's difficult to see everywhere I want to see. Is there anywhere you would wipe of the itinerary altogether?
Old Jun 27, 2016, 8:01 am

Programs: QR: Gold; Marriott: Amb; UA: 1K; Taj: Silv
There's plenty to see in Mumbai. Udaipur, however, can be done in a shorter amount of time, probably one day less? I would add that day in for Jaipur instead.
Old Jun 28, 2016, 4:59 am

"Is there anywhere you would wipe of the itinerary altogether?"

Apart from Bombay of course, the temptation is to say Jodhpur. But the point of Jodhpur is that it's not quite the tourist destination the other places are, so you've got a bit of an off-the-beaten-track feeling.
Old Jun 28, 2016, 12:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
Originally Posted by 889
there is a lot to see in delhi but i think it can be covered in 2 days....i agree with you regarding mumbai but i think it is definitely worth a one time visit....
Old Jul 5, 2016, 1:23 am

I would also suggest you to make Oberoi Gurgaon as base and cover Delhi.
Old Jul 8, 2016, 4:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
Originally Posted by Siddharth1
I would also suggest you to make Oberoi Gurgaon as base and cover Delhi.
not a good idea....the op would end up spending half the time in traffic....
Old Jul 9, 2016, 6:37 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Keyser
not a good idea....the op would end up spending half the time in traffic....
What I have decided to do instead is stay in the Oberoi on the night I arrive (at around midnight) and the night before I depart (after driving up from Agra). This will be easy given the proximity to the airport ^
Old Jul 9, 2016, 7:47 pm
Original Poster

Now managed to put together this itinerary. Route has been partially dictated by hotel availability:

Day 1: Delhi Arrive
Day 2: Delhi
Day 3: Oberoi Udaipur
Day 4: Oberoi Udaipur
Day 5: Oberoi Udaipur
Day 6: RAAS Jodhpur (only expensive suites available at Umaid Bhawan)
Day 7: RAAS Jodhpur
Day 8: RAAS Jodhpur
Day 9: Oberoi Jaipur
Day 10: Oberoi Jaipur
Day 11: Oberoi Jaipur
Day 12: Oberoi Agra
Day 13: Oberoi Agra
Day 14: Delhi
Day 15: Delhi then fly home

I am also playing with the idea of doing a few days in the RAAS devigarh near Udaipur instead of so many days in Jodhpur.. The other thought is skipping Jodhpur entirely and simply to fly from Udaipur back to Delhi for a full 3 nights in Delhi before flying back to Jaipur..

Note: I have to be in Udaipur, Jaipur and Agra on those specific days as they are the only times I can get availability with Oberoi.

Comparing my trip to others it seems like I am spending a lot more time in places than most FTers but I also don't like the idea of catching train/car from place to place without a few days break inbetween. Is there enough to do in each of the cities to justify 3 days?
Old Jul 20, 2016, 5:09 am
Suspended

I think it is not a good idea. You can recreate your plan.
Old Jul 22, 2016, 7:23 am

Programs: QR: Gold; Marriott: Amb; UA: 1K; Taj: Silv
Originally Posted by pogonation

I am also playing with the idea of doing a few days in the RAAS devigarh near Udaipur instead of so many days in Jodhpur.. The other thought is skipping Jodhpur entirely and simply to fly from Udaipur back to Delhi for a full 3 nights in Delhi before flying back to Jaipur..
Devigarh is absolutely stunning but you're really locked into having all of your meals there and there is just one decent excursion in the area. I wouldn't spend more than 2 nights there if you do choose to add it to your itinerary.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.