Wiki Posts
Search

India in May.. Is it really that bad?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 16, 2016, 10:13 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BD*G, BAGold, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat
India in May.. Is it really that bad?

Looking to go India in May this year partly because I need to get away and partly because I want to use up my remaining 80k AA miles for 2x one ways in EY 388 F.

Decided on India and was planning a week in Rajasthan and a week in Kerala. However on doing some more research it appears I have picked the absolute worst time of year to visit. 40degrees + seems to be the norm I could go to Sri Lanka but have already been and would rather try somewhere different. Northern India also interests me however I don't think it would suit my girlfriend as much and it would seem a shame to go to India and miss the places I am most interested in.. So this begs the question.. Is it really that bad at that time of the year. Has anyone travelled at this time and seen plenty and enjoyed their vacation? Or does anyone have any suggestions for much better places that will be cooler?

Last edited by pogonation; Mar 16, 2016 at 10:21 pm
Old Mar 17, 2016, 6:29 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by pogonation
Looking to go India in May this year partly because I need to get away and partly because I want to use up my remaining 80k AA miles for 2x one ways in EY 388 F.

Decided on India and was planning a week in Rajasthan and a week in Kerala. However on doing some more research it appears I have picked the absolute worst time of year to visit. 40degrees + seems to be the norm I could go to Sri Lanka but have already been and would rather try somewhere different. Northern India also interests me however I don't think it would suit my girlfriend as much and it would seem a shame to go to India and miss the places I am most interested in.. So this begs the question.. Is it really that bad at that time of the year. Has anyone travelled at this time and seen plenty and enjoyed their vacation? Or does anyone have any suggestions for much better places that will be cooler?
May is rather miserable in large parts of India, particularly in the Golden Triangle area most commonly checked out by foreign tourists -- just not usually in May.

Himachal, Arunachal, Ladakh and Kashmir have pretty good weather in May. Hill stations, mountain localities, and tea country should be relatively good places to check out weather wise, but the issue is that they also tend to be rather popular times for other tourists too.
Old Mar 18, 2016, 3:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
may & june are possibly the 2 worst months to visit north india....i would avoid it if i were you....
Old Mar 18, 2016, 4:11 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
Originally Posted by pogonation
Decided on India and was planning a week in Rajasthan and a week in Kerala.
RJ will be as hot as a baking oven in May. Kerala will probably not be so bad, but not really comfortable either.
Old Mar 18, 2016, 5:16 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by oliver2002
RJ will be as hot as a baking oven in May. Kerala will probably not be so bad, but not really comfortable either.
In May, Goa is pretty bad; it's bad enough in April already. Much of Kerala is very hot in May too, but the weather in Kerala is not as extreme at its extremes as it is in North India.

Personally, I'd head up to around Arunachal, Himachal, Ladakh and Kashmir at that time.
Old Mar 18, 2016, 5:26 am

It would be hot for sure specially Rajasthan and other northern Indian states.

Southern India might be better but rainy season starts there too and might play spoilsport.
Old Mar 20, 2016, 12:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: former Olympic Airways Gold (yeah - still proud of that!)
Agree with others above - I've been to India twice in April and already getting very hot (still just bearable). May would be uncomfortable.
Old Mar 20, 2016, 2:50 pm

Would recommend September - February for Northern India. If you have to do May, would suggest the hill states north/northeast of Delhi.
Old Mar 20, 2016, 6:47 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BD*G, BAGold, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat
Thanks for all the replies. Suppose you have confirmed my fears. I have booked a DEL-AUH-LHR(-NCL) in EY F today for the beginning of June. I will have to take a look into the northern regions but ultimately, I can always change it to September/October time free of charge. Was really hoping to get there sooner but might make more sense just to postpone
Old Apr 1, 2016, 3:38 am

Programs: SQ Gold, QR Gold, Hilton Diamond
Uttarakhand is easily doable.
http://uttarakhandtourism.gov.in/
Old Apr 14, 2016, 8:53 pm

Programs: AA, UA
Don't. Just don't. BLR was at scorching 40 degrees Celsius last week. And Bangalore, by and large is the metro with better climate.

I'd suggest moving it to Fall. Its much better climate wise pan India.
Old Apr 30, 2016, 7:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, EY Gold, HH Diamond, IHG Plat
May you are looking at Dry heat which is worse as the a/c's are that effective. Its when the humidity kicks in does it get better.
Old Apr 30, 2016, 9:22 am

Post mid - May is good in Kerala when the south easterly monsoons / winds start blowing in. My parents are in Kerala right now and its hot during day but cooler at night. They mentioned they had early monsoon drizzles last evening. So I would definitely keep Kerala option open and the remaining days in Sri Lanka. Good thing is Lanka is hardly an hour from major airports in Kerala.
Old Apr 30, 2016, 11:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, EY Gold, HH Diamond, IHG Plat
Not sure what the OP think of the hill stations but the northern ones are lovely this time of the year.
Old Mar 15, 2018, 4:42 am

Originally Posted by GUWonder
May is rather miserable in large parts of India, particularly in the Golden Triangle area most commonly checked out by foreign tourists -- just not usually in May.

Himachal, Arunachal, Ladakh and Kashmir have pretty good weather in May. Hill stations, mountain localities, and tea country should be relatively good places to check out weather wise, but the issue is that they also tend to be rather popular times for other tourists too.
You can ask Raacho Trekkers for any queries related to travel in Himachal especially in Kinnaur and Spiti region

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.