Wiki Posts
Search

dengue fever a concern in Dehli?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 11, 2015, 12:04 am
Original Poster

Programs: united airlines
dengue fever a concern in Dehli?

NYT reported that this is currently a big problem for health care system there, but gave no information of real help for prospective travelers. Anyone have more knowledge of situation? Is this a seasonal risk likely to be less one month from now? Dengue is not a pleasant experience, to put it mildly, and can be worse than just unpleasant.
Old Oct 11, 2015, 1:14 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
Last October my son got Dengue in India on a one week trip and we were always taking care about the mosquitoes Luckily it was the first round, which is like a severe viral fever, the second time is the one where you get your platelet count all screwed up and need blood transfusions etc. So his mother is absolutely refusing to travel to India with him again
Old Oct 11, 2015, 7:08 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by oliver2002
Last October my son got Dengue in India on a one week trip and we were always taking care about the mosquitoes Luckily it was the first round, which is like a severe viral fever, the second time is the one where you get your platelet count all screwed up and need blood transfusions etc. So his mother is absolutely refusing to travel to India with him again
In which place in India did he likely get bit by a Dengue carrier?

Risk of Dengue fever varies by locality within India and also by time of year. I can't imagine a mass breakout of Dengue in Leh, for example, in December.

Dengue outbreaks hit Delhi repeatedly, some outbreaks being worse than others, but I've never had any family or friends get hit with it there. Except for a few months of the year, mosquito bites a plenty.
Old Oct 11, 2015, 9:44 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Calcutta and a village near the border to Bangladesh. The problem probably was the unusually warm and humid weather, which does happen in October when the monsoon abates and switches direction. This fosters the mosquito type that transmits the virus.
Old Oct 11, 2015, 9:50 am
Original Poster

Programs: united airlines
I'm headed for Jaipur and can go via Delhi or Bombay. Since my friend is going through Delhi, that would be better, but I wonder if this dengue business ought to be factored in. Is it enough of a risk for a tourist just passing through to re-route? Does Bombay have a similar problem? What about other mosquito-born diseases.

My friend got his immunizations courtesy of the military, and his regimen included typhoid, meningococcus, dTaP, and Japanese encephalitis. He's also going to take malaria prophylaxis, though that seems to be a small risk in Rajasthan.

I'll go look at what CDC has to say.
Old Oct 12, 2015, 3:18 am

Dengue is a virus transferred by a certain species of mosquito, so the specific defense every traveller should have against mosquitoes should work. He just has to be pretty carefull. There is no vaccination or cure against it, once infected you have to let/support the body to fight it.
Old Oct 13, 2015, 5:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
Originally Posted by oliver2002
i got it last year & it was pretty bad....spent 2 weeks in the hospital & had to get a number of platelet transfusions....since then my wife refuses to let my kids go out & play during 'dengue season'....

Originally Posted by itsme
NYT reported that this is currently a big problem for health care system there, but gave no information of real help for prospective travelers. Anyone have more knowledge of situation? Is this a seasonal risk likely to be less one month from now? Dengue is not a pleasant experience, to put it mildly, and can be worse than just unpleasant.
even though i got it last year, its not really as big a problem as they are making it out to be....august, september & october are the 3 months where you have to be careful against mosquito bites in delhi but then again its only a particular type of mosquito that causes it & the risk of someone getting it is quite low....

just keep yourself protected with mosquito repellents & you will be fine....

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.