Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Metro station at Delhi Airport

Search this Thread

Old Jan 12, 2015, 3:21 pm
Original Poster

Metro station at Delhi Airport

I was trying to plan a trip and looked at the Metro website, but could not find a station for the airport.

Could someone please clue me in on the name?
Old Jan 13, 2015, 10:23 pm

its I.G.I metro station..
Old Jan 14, 2015, 9:52 am
Original Poster

I still cannot find 'IGI Airport' on the online Metro rail journey planner ...

Also, from the exit door of the International terminal, how far does one have to walk to get to the Metro rail station?

Do all Metro stations in Delhi have elevators / escalators or do some of them have stairs only?
Old Jan 15, 2015, 2:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
Originally Posted by TinDrum
Also, from the exit door of the International terminal, how far does one have to walk to get to the Metro rail station?

Do all Metro stations in Delhi have elevators / escalators or do some of them have stairs only?
not far at all....i think all stations have escalators....where are you planning on going????
Old Jan 15, 2015, 2:39 am
Moderator: UK and Ireland & Europe

Programs: SK*G, Lots of Blue Elsewhere
The site for it is here.

It's kind of not part of the metro proper, it's operated as an 'airport express' line, until recently as a separate concession. So it has a distinct fare structure, indirect connections to the metro, and does not appear on trip planners.

If you're arriving into DEL T3, it's a very short walk - up to a bridge, over towards the car park, and down some escalators (or elevators). It's a very good way to get into the city, IMO, saves you a lot of traffic hassles, and it's pretty easy to get onward transport at the New Delhi end (or Shivaji Stadium if you're headed towards the Rajiv Chowk area). If you're arriving at the other terminals, you need to get a bus - not sure if it's currently running to T3 or to the Aerocity stop.

The airport express has escalators and elevators, but the regular metro has a mixture of steps and escalators. The interchange at New Delhi station is through public areas, and involves a number of stairs. Note that there is WTMD and x-ray security to enter both the airport express and regular metro, and the latter is not set up for larger luggage. It can also get quite crowded, so isn't entirely hassle-free for onward transport with luggage.

I tend to use the pre-pay auto stand on the east side of New Delhi station to move on from there (unless I'm going from Shivaji Stadium), but you do have to go through the Metro exit towards the railway station, with a few stairs (as opposed to the direct airport express exit) to get right there.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.