Reload this Page >

Mumbai CSIA [BOM] connection/departure experience reports

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 18, 2016, 11:19 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: oliver2002
Please add/correct as appropriate. (Need postcount of 90 to be able to edit)
(Note that information change dynamically and hence best to double check)
Thanks
desi

PLEASE NOTE that CERTAIN DOMESTIC FLIGHTS OF Air India (#010-399 and 900-999) are ACTUALLY segments of INTERNATIONAL FLIGHT and hence for the following discussion should be considered INTL flights.

TRANSFER at BOM

Air India and Vistara operate all of their international and domestic flights out of the same NEW terminal (T2). There is no need to change terminal or take any bus/taxi.

Low-cost airlines operate out of legacy Santacruz domestic terminal (T1) and you need to continue to follow the usual practice of changing terminal.
(For those not familiar with Santacruz Airport - CSIA - while both T1 and T2 uses same airfield and runaways, they are quite apart landside and can be 25-45 min by taxi depending on the traffic)

If first time in BOM then it is advisable to book connection with AI or Vistara to avoid this transfer between terminals.

INTL-to-INTL connections (suspended as of Jan 2022 due to COVID):

If both legs are on the same airline or on airlines that have interlined agreement, then your bags will be tagged to your final destination. But verify this fact when you actually check your bags at your origination and reconfirm by inspecting the bag tags.

Otherwise you have to go through immigration, collect bags and check-in again. This may need appropriate Visa too. If you have to do this, provide for 3 to 4 hours layover to be safe.

INTL-to-DOM transfer

Practice is similar to what you may find at major airports in the world such as JFK, LHR, etc. You have to go through immigration, collect bags, go through customs and then TURN LEFT upon exit from customs towards transfer area. DO NOT GO STRAIGHT into Semi-controlled reception area.

It is best to have entire reservation on single PNR to avail of better baggage allowance. Otherwise expect to pay high tarrifs of excess baggage. Also in case of delayed incoming flight, you will be most likely accomodated on the domestic portion.

Note that certain domestic looking segments of AI are actually onward leg of continuing International flight (#010-399 and 900-999). When connecting to/from these flights, treat them as INTL segments.

DOM-to-INTL transfer

It is best to have entire reservation on single PNR to avail of better baggage allowance. Otherwise expect to pay high tariffs of excess baggage. Your bags will be most likely tagged to your final destination when it is same airline or when airlines have interline agreement. Again, best to double check and reconfirm by looking at the bag tags. Otherwise, you have to collect bags at BOM and check-in again. Please check with your airline for the current process. Posts on this thread that are more than couple of months old, should be in "Trust but Verify" category.

If you are travelling by Air India and your incoming flight to BOM has been classified as international flight (currently applicable to certain AI flights only) then you would have already completed immigration process at your origin and you will simply follow INTL-to-INTL connection at BOM.

Otherwise, you will go through immigration at BOM airport even when your bags are checked to your final destination directly.

Please add/correct as appropriate. (Need postcount of 90 to be able to edit)
(Note that information change dynamically and hence best to double check)
Thanks
desi

TRANSFER at BOM

Air India, Jet Airways and Vistara operate all of their international and domestic flights out of the same NEW terminal (T2). There is no need to change terminal or take any bus/taxi.

Low-cost airlines operate out of legacy Santacruz domestic terminal and you need to continue to follow the usual practice of changing terminal.

INTL-to-INTL connections:

NOTE: Air-India operates some domestic flight segments as extension of an oversees flight (Typically flight numbers <400 - Double check routing on AI website to confirm example: AI 144 EWR_BOM_DEL). They should be treated as INTL flights for immigration/rechek/customs purpose.

If both legs are on the same airline or on airlines that have interlined agreement, then your bags will be tagged to your final destination. But verify this fact when you actually check your bags at your origination and reconfirm by inspecting the bag tags.

Otherwise you have to go through immigration, collect bags and check-in again. This may need appropriate Visa too. If you have to do this, provide for 3 to 4 hours layover to be safe.

INTL-to-DOM transfer

Practice is similar to what you may find at major airports in the world such as JFK, LHR, etc. You have to go through immigration, collect bags, go through customs and then TURN LEFT upon exit from customs towards transfer area. DO NOT GO STRAIGHT into Semi-controlled reception area.

It is best to have entire reservation on single PNR to avail of better baggage allowance. Otherwise expect to pay high tarrifs of excess baggage. Also in case of delayed incoming flight, you will be most likely accomodated on the domestic portion.

Note that certain dometic looking segments of AI are actually onward leg of continuing International flight such as EWR-BOM-AMD flight. When connecting to/from these flights, treat them as INTL segments.

DOM-to-INTL transfer

It is best to have entire reservation on single PNR to avail of better baggage allowance. Otherwise expect to pay high tarrifs of excess baggage. Your bags will be most likely tagged to your final destination when it is same airline or when airlines have interline agreement. Again, best to double check and reconfirm by looking at the bag tags. Otherwise, you have to collect bags at BOM and check-in again. Please check with your airline for the current process. Posts on this thread that are more than couple of months old, should be in "Trust but Verify" category.

If your incoming flight to BOM has been classified as international flight then you would have already completed emmigration (exit from India) process at your origination and you will simply follow INTL-to-INTL connection at BOM.

Otherwise, you will go through emmigration process at BOM airport even when your bags are checked to your final destination directly.
Print Wikipost

Mumbai CSIA [BOM] connection/departure experience reports

Search this Thread

Old Jan 29, 2019, 8:40 pm

Programs: KrisFlyer Gold, Marriott & SPG Plat, Hilton Gold, ShangriLa Jade, Enterprise Plat, Taj Gold
1. No.

2. Yes. Airlines don’t like it though because you’re generally taking advantage of a cheaper ticket but they won’t do anything about it. Especially if it is a one off.
Old Jan 30, 2019, 7:56 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
You can ask the airline to short check you to BOM as you want to use the 11 hour transit too see the city. Then just don't show up for checkin later.
Old Jan 31, 2019, 11:20 pm

Programs: AAdvantage 2MM+ Lifetime PLT; BA, CO, UA, US; SPG; HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by oliver2002
You can ask the airline to short check you to BOM as you want to use the 11 hour transit too see the city. Then just don't show up for checkin later.
I'm looking for a specific data point as I'm going to be checking in on VS.
Old Feb 3, 2019, 4:48 pm

Programs: AA (Plt Pro; 1.5 MM)
Originally Posted by rj123456
I have a ticket LRH-BOM-CMB with an 11 hour layover in BOM and valid visa for India.
1. Will there be any problems with getting off the plane and going into Mumbai?
2. If I don't have any checked bags, can I skip the BOM-CMB flight altogether (this is the last segment on my ticketed itinerary? My original plan was to go to CMB for 3 days and then fly to BOM on a separate ticket but now I am thinking of not visiting Sri Lanka.
1. As you have a valid visa for India, there should be no problem leaving the airport.

2. If you don't have any checked luggage, and if this is not a "direct" flight in which through-pax are asked to remain on the plane, there should be no problem.
Old Feb 3, 2019, 10:39 pm

Programs: UA 1K/3MM, AA EXP/3MM, DL MM, former fan of TWA
I have to confess that reading some of this thread has made me nervous... I wasn't nervous before, but I am now.

I have an international-international connection on 9W, CMB-BOM-HKG. It is a single PNR and ticket, Premiere class with checked luggage. Time between flights is a bit over 2 hours (23:55 - 2:05).

I have no visa for India, nor do I have a transit visa. I thought I was not going to have any problem until I started reading this thread. Can someone give me some words of either assurance or doubt on my ability to navigate this connection through BOM? Thanks in advance!!!
Old Feb 4, 2019, 12:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
Originally Posted by gary_nj
I have to confess that reading some of this thread has made me nervous... I wasn't nervous before, but I am now.

I have an international-international connection on 9W, CMB-BOM-HKG. It is a single PNR and ticket, Premiere class with checked luggage. Time between flights is a bit over 2 hours (23:55 - 2:05).

I have no visa for India, nor do I have a transit visa. I thought I was not going to have any problem until I started reading this thread. Can someone give me some words of either assurance or doubt on my ability to navigate this connection through BOM? Thanks in advance!!!
since its a single ticket, you shouldn't have any problems....2 hours is more than enough time for an international to international connection on a single ticket....
Old Feb 4, 2019, 12:43 am

Programs: KrisFlyer Gold, Marriott & SPG Plat, Hilton Gold, ShangriLa Jade, Enterprise Plat, Taj Gold

What's there to worry about in your situation? You don't have to go through immigration or customs where the delays occur.

The only thing you should be worried about is that you might not be able to spend enough time at the GVK lounge if your flight is a little late.

You don't need a transit visa. So let 9W worry about getting you getting you to HKG.
Old Feb 4, 2019, 7:54 am

Programs: UA 1K/3MM, AA EXP/3MM, DL MM, former fan of TWA
Thank you. I shall resume feeling not nervous.
Old Feb 4, 2019, 3:20 pm

Programs: AAdvantage 2MM+ Lifetime PLT; BA, CO, UA, US; SPG; HHonors Gold

If you're not leaving the airport it should be straightforward. The CMB flight might park remotely and passengers bused to the terminal. Just follow signs for connections and it is a bit of a roundabout walk, then you arrive at a security checkpoint and after that emerge into the departures area. 2 hours is plenty of time and your bags should be checked through.
Old Feb 6, 2019, 4:23 am

Hello all

I have a question about this itinerary below. and only question is will 1 hour connection at BOM be enough to clear customs. Past experience says no. What happens if I dont make the flight. Please advise

Vishal

DEPARTUREDuration: 23h 50m
Tue Feb 19 — Wed Feb 20
6:15 PM
San FranciscoSFO
6:10 PM
IstanbulIST
12h 55m
  • 2h 20m layover
  • Connection protected by the carrier
Wed Feb 20 — Thu Feb 21
8:30 PM
IstanbulIST
5:15 AM
MumbaiBOM
6h 15m
  • 1h 10m layover
  • Connection protected by the Kiwi.com Guarantee
Thu Feb 21
6:25 AM
MumbaiBOM
7:35 AM
VadodaraBDQ
1h 10m
Old Feb 6, 2019, 4:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
Originally Posted by vishal407
Hello all

I have a question about this itinerary below. and only question is will 1 hour connection at BOM be enough to clear customs. Past experience says no. What happens if I dont make the flight. Please advise

Vishal
there is no chance that you will make this connection as it requires you to change terminals in bom....i would advise a minimum 2 hour connection in bom when not changing terminals....in your case i would not try this unless i had a minimum 3 hours in hand....

i assume this is all part of one ticket....if so then you will be put on the next flight to your final destination....
Old Feb 6, 2019, 5:00 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
No chance. The MCT for terminal change in BOM is 3h.
Old Feb 6, 2019, 6:47 am

Originally Posted by vishal407
Hello all

Vishal

DEPARTUREDuration: 23h 50m
Tue Feb 19 — Wed Feb 20
6:15 PM
San FranciscoSFO
6:10 PM
IstanbulIST
12h 55m
  • 2h 20m layover
  • Connection protected by the carrier
Wed Feb 20 — Thu Feb 21
8:30 PM
IstanbulIST
5:15 AM
MumbaiBOM
6h 15m
  • 1h 10m layover
  • Connection protected by the Kiwi.com Guarantee
Thu Feb 21
6:25 AM
MumbaiBOM
7:35 AM
VadodaraBDQ
1h 10m
I would read reviews of kiwi.com guarantee before attempting to book this. I haven't heard great things about it
Old Feb 6, 2019, 6:48 am

I don't think this on a single PNR. This looks like a ticket patched together by kiwi.com. And I would't be waiting to fight with them at 6 AM after traveling all the way from SFO to get a flight to BDQ.

If you don't make the flight (actually I don't think this is is a "If" statement) neither TK nor 6E are liable to help you. You'll be fighting it out with kiwi.com for your BOM-BDQ flight. As it is they don't have a clue that you'll be needing to go to the DOM terminal for this flight....
Old Feb 6, 2019, 7:46 am

Originally Posted by JamesKidd
I would read reviews of kiwi.com guarantee before attempting to book this. I haven't heard great things about it
Heh. I was reading up on these guys. Look like out and out scamsters. Anyways here's their guarantee T&C and it wouldn't cover OP at all.

"If you're covered by the Kiwi.com Guarantee and there's a schedule change, cancellation, or delay that affects your trip, we'll either buy you an alternative flight to your final destination, or offer you an amount to be refunded.

When the Kiwi.com Guarantee does NOT apply:
  • You were late for check-in."

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.