FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   India (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/india-478/)
-   -   Mumbai CSIA [BOM] connection/departure experience reports (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/india/1511193-mumbai-csia-bom-connection-departure-experience-reports.html)

oliver2002 May 8, 2017 2:26 am

Originally Posted by desi (Post 28249011)
Trying to clarify "no need".

has it become optional or that nice option has been removed completely?

Transfer desk was a huge plus as you can get rid of luggage and be free until your flight. In fact, depending on layover length and time of day, can even get out of airport to meet friends/family.

Air India still has following info ("Transit desks are on Level2 and open 24x7") on its web site. (CSIA website still lacks useful info on most topics)
http://www.airindia.in/mumbai.htm

Jet airways still has following info ("Transfer desk are located before arrival hall. Turn left after customs")
http://www.jetairways.com/EN/US/trav...formation.aspx

AI doesn't have any transfer desk left of customs. You have to go upstairs.

desi May 22, 2017 2:15 am

Transfer desk option DOES exist (make left after customs - pretty clear overhead sign)
I did not unfortunately checked ot which airlines have presence there.
Talking to custom guy, he said that transfer desk is your best bet especially if you have long layover as CISF jawan may not let you go up to departure if your flight is many hours away. However, I did not see any jawans manning lifts.

BTW, both prepaid taxi and private taxi (Meru, Gold, Tab) also have counters downstairs and usual have no lines. You need to go down for them anyway, Price of prepaid cool cab is twice that of Gold/Tab/Meru provided you are confident about roue. Mine Tab driver had to be controlled twice forcefully to not take longer routes.

pmat2009 Jun 14, 2017 12:09 pm

Folks, confused with which Niranta Hotel do I need.
Travelling SFO-AUH-BOM with Etihad and continuing on to JET domestic after an overnight connection.

I understand that we would need to clear immigration and customs, but would I need to get to the landside and go through security again next morning?

I would prefer to stay inside and use time to catch up on sleep.

oliver2002 Jun 15, 2017 3:02 am

Niranta is technically landside. So no way around it. Security would be required in any case as you get into the bagagge area after immigration/customs.

pmat2009 Jun 15, 2017 12:08 pm

Originally Posted by oliver2002 (Post 28445128)
Niranta is technically landside. So no way around it. Security would be required in any case as you get into the bagagge area after immigration/customs.

Thanks

mihaid Jun 16, 2017 9:49 pm

BOM T2 connection from MH to LX

Hi Guys,

I will be doing an international-to-international transit in BOM T2, switching from MH to LX (single ticket itinerary, issued by LX). I will be arriving at BOM at 22:25 (MH194 from KUL) and leaving BOM at 00:55 (LX155 to ZRH), so a 2h30m connection. I will check luggage at KUL, to my final destination.
From what I've read in the 33 pages of this thread, there should be no issues with this connection, other than me having to get my LX boarding pass at the BOM transfer desk, since I doubt MH will issue my LX boarding pass. Anything for me to worry about regarding this connection?
I have arrived and departed from BOM a few times before, but so far BOM has always been my destination/origin and have never transited here before.

Thanks for any input.

oliver2002 Jun 18, 2017 1:08 pm

Nothing to worry about, just ask for a Swiss rep at the transfer desk after deplaning in BOM. Do not follow the crowds to immigration, but look for the transfer desk.

karter8 Jun 18, 2017 3:58 pm

We'll be flying HYD-BOM-FRA-IAD with the first leg on AI and the rest on LH. Since it's a single PNR, I'm assuming bags will be checked all the way through, but what I was wondering if there will be any issues leaving and then reentering the airport at BOM? Our layover is about 16hr. Any tips on minimizing hassles?

Acid Jun 18, 2017 7:11 pm

Originally Posted by karter8 (Post 28458372)
We'll be flying HYD-BOM-FRA-IAD with the first leg on AI and the rest on LH. Since it's a single PNR, I'm assuming bags will be checked all the way through, but what I was wondering if there will be any issues leaving and then reentering the airport at BOM? Our layover is about 16hr. Any tips on minimizing hassles?

There will be no issues leaving airport. As you arrive in BOM on a domestic flight - just head towards baggage claim/exit (bags will be checked through). You can return 3 hrs before your next flight(even if you have boarding pass - keep a printout or mobile copy of your ticket for re-entry into the terminal - head straight for security/immigration.

flyalways Jun 19, 2017 11:49 am

Safe ?

Originally Posted by Acid (Post 28458894)
There will be no issues leaving airport. As you arrive in BOM on a domestic flight - just head towards baggage claim/exit (bags will be checked through). You can return 3 hrs before your next flight(even if you have boarding pass - keep a printout or mobile copy of your ticket for re-entry into the terminal - head straight for security/immigration.

Would the bags be safe for 16 hours in Mumbai airport even in secure
area ? If it is not much, I would short check them to Mumbai and
recheck them back...

desi Jun 20, 2017 12:37 am

Originally Posted by oliver2002 (Post 28445128)

is this correct?

Believe Niranta hotel at Mumbai has three sections

One is landside. A level below arrival (2 levels below departures)
Second one (used as overflow) is outside terminal but nearby
Third one is airside and used mainly for INTL-to-INTL transfers

Check out their FAQ (specifically two of the questions about Airside and how to find them and that immigration/customs are NOT required)

http://www.nirantahotels.com/niranta...ers/guestguide

However, this being India, things can change without any notice or any logical reasoning. So, it is best to tripple check. (If that involves calling hotel directly, it is best to call three times on different days at different time of the day.

oliver2002 Jun 20, 2017 12:46 am

pmat2009 asked about a domestic connection, why would you want to confuse someone?

ethanhunt123 Jun 21, 2017 1:08 am

Originally Posted by flyalways (Post 28461631)
Would the bags be safe for 16 hours in Mumbai airport even in secure
area ? If it is not much, I would short check them to Mumbai and
recheck them back...

Yes they should be safe like any other airport :-)

flyalways Jun 21, 2017 4:15 am

Originally Posted by ethanhunt123 (Post 28468640)
Yes they should be safe like any other airport :-)

Many airports including some in the US are not safe from baggage thefts. 16 hours is a long time....

oliver2002 Jun 21, 2017 5:27 am

BOM T2 has a baggage handling system by Siemens that looks and works the same as the one in their showpiece facility in Munich T2. Your luggage will be in a yellow bin in the EBS hold area with no human access.

More info here: http://www.logistics-airports-soluti...-handling.aspx