FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   India (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/india-478/)
-   -   Mumbai CSIA [BOM] connection/departure experience reports (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/india/1511193-mumbai-csia-bom-connection-departure-experience-reports.html)

Bandicoot Jun 19, 2023 5:19 pm

Originally Posted by MNSWEEps (Post 35326547)
do they really see if you have priority boarding? I have cheap eco tickets and want to see if I can sneak in those priority lanes.

They've switched to having the electronic gates where you scan your boarding pass to be let through, and the guards don't look at each boarding pass themselves. Of course, the gates could be programmed to bar entry to those not holding business / first class boarding passes, I haven't tried sneaking in with a non-priority pass.

Bandicoot Jun 19, 2023 5:24 pm

Originally Posted by oliver2002 (Post 35327521)
International departures require a physical boarding pass. Domestic departures can use a virtual BP.

Yes, indeed! I was once sent back to get a paper pass from the check-in counter after having stood in line for security for over half an hour. That was one time that I was feeling rather chuffed at having successfully checked in online for an international departure - most of the time it seems that online check-in simply doesn't work for many flights out of India (haven't had it work with Qatar, Emirates, KLM, AF...). Perhaps they should really disable online check-in fully as long as the requirement for a paper pass is in place.

max71 Jul 24, 2023 9:17 am

BOM Transit question

Hello,

I will be flying Pune-->BOM->Munich on a single ticket. I assume my immigration would be done at Pune and my bags would be thru checked in to MUC at Pune airport. My flight from pune is arriving on Terminal T2 - same terminal where my international flight is departing and I have almost 8 hour layover in BOM. Am I allowed to exit the airport with out getting my bags out?

oliver2002 Jul 25, 2023 2:57 am

Your bags will be checked thru and you are free to leave the terminal after arriving from Pune, just walk out the door as if your final destination is Mumbai. Immigration will take place in BOM before you enter the international departure concourse in T2.

max71 Jul 25, 2023 5:37 am

Immigration and Security

Originally Posted by oliver2002 (Post 35442365)
Your bags will be checked thru and you are free to leave the terminal after arriving from Pune, just walk out the door as if your final destination is Mumbai. Immigration will take place in BOM before you enter the international departure concourse in T2.

Thanks. Will there be any immigration check at PNQ? How much time should I need just immigration and security at BOM?

oliver2002 Jul 25, 2023 5:43 am

PNQ-BOM is a domestic flight, no immigration required. I would arrive latest 2 hours before departure at BOM to get thru security and immigration.

WyomingBound Sep 3, 2023 1:21 pm

***RATHER URGENT***......I am doing a Mileage Run from JFK-CDG-AMS-BOM and then returning back on the exact same flight (sitting in the JFK airport as we speak). It is a complete reservation in one PNR with the same ticket number (I also have no checked bags). I was told since I am not leaving the airport I did not need a Visa however when I got to JFK I was advised I could not fly the AMS-BOM leg because I did not have a Visa. I finally found a supervisor who was willing to ticket me to AMS and basically told me I was on my own to figure it out. My question is, Visa or no Visa and if no Visa can someone point to an official government site which states so? I attempted to call the Indian Government Visa office but was unable to get anyone on the phone.

Would appreciate anyone's help.

oliver2002 Sep 3, 2023 4:08 pm

You need a visa. Get one online, they turn around the application quickly.

Transit without visa is only possible if you flying to a different country you came from.

hydrogen Sep 21, 2023 5:04 am

If I don't have any bags and am planning to connect INTL-INTL at BOM, do I need a transit visa/is it worth getting one anyways? My layover is 6.5 hours if it makes any difference

oliver2002 Sep 21, 2023 5:16 am

If you are flying to country that is different than the one you just came from you don't need a visa. Also helpful to have a ticket in which the connection is shown. (eg if they are separate tickets, get the airline or travel agent to add the next segment as a passive/ghost segment into the first ticket).

hydrogen Sep 21, 2023 10:55 am

Originally Posted by oliver2002 (Post 35599835)
If you are flying to country that is different than the one you just came from you don't need a visa. Also helpful to have a ticket in which the connection is shown. (eg if they are separate tickets, get the airline or travel agent to add the next segment as a passive/ghost segment into the first ticket).

Yup, TG from BKK-BOM and AC from BOM-LHR-YYZ on separate tickets.
Do I call in to "get [TG] to add the [AC] segment as a passive segment"?
Sadly it seems like it may be harder to get a transit visa now even if I wanted one

PVDtoDEL Sep 21, 2023 3:15 pm

TG is really good about interlining bags on separate tickets - just show them the onward AC ticket confirmation when you check in at BKK and they should be able to check through no problem.

hydrogen Sep 21, 2023 4:49 pm

Originally Posted by PVDtoDEL (Post 35601476)
TG is really good about interlining bags on separate tickets - just show them the onward AC ticket confirmation when you check in at BKK and they should be able to check through no problem.

My only concern was that TIMATIC says you need to be on the same ticket to connect in BOM without visa.
So as along as TG doesn't refuse to fly me to BOM all will be good.

oliver2002 Sep 22, 2023 2:57 am

TG in BKK will let you board if you show the onward ticket documentation. Just allow for enough time for them to figure it out :)

jinglebear Oct 2, 2023 7:50 pm

I think I am in similar situation as "hydrogen", and would appreciate clarification. Apologies Oliver2002 if you have to repeat yourself :)

My specific question is whether or not I can check-in for an international flight at BOM transit area if I have just arrived from USA on one ticket and traveling to another country on a separate ticket. Will not be able to checkin for that second flight before departing US.

Details: Am traveling SFO-BOM on AF. I have valid 5-yr India visa and am US citizen. Travel is carry-on bag only. Upon arrival at 0005 hours, I will be flying one-way to either SIN or BKK on either SQ, TG, or AI; [my destination and return date to BOM is not yet known, but I will be entering India for at least two days before returning to US].

1. Will I be alowed to check-in at a transit/airline counter in the transit area for AI or TG or SQ? Is there a difference depending on which of these airlines I fly? [I havent booked the ticket yet. I spoke with AI call center in USA and the agent wasnt clear if I could checkin for a AI flight in the transit area. I havent called TG or SQ yet]

2. Is 1h30m sufficient time for transit checkin and security process? If BKK is my destination, flights I want to catch are at 0150 or 0230.

3. If I am required to enter India solely to checkin at a landside checkin counter, is 1h45m enough time for customs and immig inbound, and then security and immig back out?

4. Is adding the passive/ghost segment (as mentioned earlier in thread) a relatively routine request that an AF agent should be willing and able to execute?

Short of entering India and immediately departing, is what I want to accomplish feasible at BOM?

Thanks in advance!