Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Re-entry within 2 months and FRRO registration

Search this Thread

Old Aug 25, 2012, 8:02 am

Programs: QF WP (OWE) / LTG (LT OWS) | Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by ukdoctor
Moreover consular access is quite different from diplomatic immunity ( most people are confused between both) and is way overhyped. If you commit a crime in India, you will be tried under Indian law anyway and the consulate would not be able to do anything Significant. You are problably better off hiring your own local lawyer.
I'm well aware of the differences between diplomatic immunity and consular access. I do have an in principle objection to something that is a glorified permanent resident visa making use of the term "citizenship". I can afford to take a stand in my own small way and only enter India on a Visa and that's what I intend to do.
Old Aug 27, 2012, 2:19 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
Originally Posted by SQ421
I suspect I will be asked this question when I drop my application off for an Entry Visa (category X, I think) and the answer is probably best left undiscussed with the Indian babudom.

As an aside, I actually came to this thread to post the following link.

Pretty stupid, if you ask me, to have private citizens (not just hotels and guesthouses) register any "foreign visitors" that might be residing in their residence.

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/c...w/15626271.cms

The reasoning, quoted below form the article, is even more astounding. Isn't that what inbound immigration checks are for? To record who's entering the country?

About the foreign visitors: this reporting stuff is mainly aimed to flush out the low yield tourist who stays in India beyond the 3-4 month visitors visa. I doubt any subversive terrorist planning to go under cover will stay as sublet and publicly announce he/she is a foreigner.

We had a long PIO vs OCI discussion a few times in this forum:
https://www.google.com/search?q=flye...w=1680&bih=959

Since I already have a PIO card till 2022 I'm not wasting time on this topic anymore, but some Governments like Germany are very particular and sensitive about their citizens applying for another citizenship. Germany doesn't allow dual citizenship either and joining another nations armed forces or applying for another citizenship automatically makes the German citizenship lapse.
Old Aug 28, 2012, 10:11 pm

Went to apply for my 5 year "Entry" Visa today at the VFS shopfront and was told they'd need to submit the application to the IHC for "pre approval" before they accept the application by getting me to pay the fees and submit my passport.

When asked more about the pre-approval from IHC I was told because it is a 5 year visa IHC takes a look at the application and VFS if the application can be accepted as is or needs more documentation.

I'd have thought having a cancelled Indian Passport as a proof of "sufficient ties witih India" would've been enough. Now I'll wait and see what (if anything) they come back with or if its just a matter of dropping off my passport, paying the fees and waiting three days.

Anyone else had that exprience?
Old Aug 29, 2012, 12:12 am

Programs: Skywards Blue :-(, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold, GHA Platinum
Went to apply for my 5 year "Entry" Visa today at the VFS shopfront and was told they'd need to submit the application to the IHC for "pre approval" before they accept the application by getting me to pay the fees and submit my passport.

When asked more about the pre-approval from IHC I was told because it is a 5 year visa IHC takes a look at the application and VFS if the application can be accepted as is or needs more documentation.

I'd have thought having a cancelled Indian Passport as a proof of "sufficient ties witih India" would've been enough. Now I'll wait and see what (if anything) they come back with or if its just a matter of dropping off my passport, paying the fees and waiting three days.

Anyone else had that exprience?
go for the PIO. at least it does not have the citizenship tag on it .
Old Aug 29, 2012, 4:33 am

go for the PIO. at least it does not have the citizenship tag on it .
They don't issue PIO's any more AFAIK.. its OCI or a Visa.
Old Aug 29, 2012, 9:16 am

Did you hear that from a reliable source? The website doesn't say that:
http://www.vfs-in-au.net/personsofindianorigin.html
Old Aug 29, 2012, 10:45 am

Programs: Support the Tyrants Travel Club
Originally Posted by hyderago
Did you hear that from a reliable source? The website doesn't say that:
http://www.vfs-in-au.net/personsofindianorigin.html
Not bad. The fee calculates out to about $400 and would be valid for 15 years.

Last edited by Mr. Bean; Aug 29, 2012 at 10:52 am
Old Aug 29, 2012, 3:29 pm

Programs: TK ELPL (*G), AS 100K (OWE), BA Gold (OWE), Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat
PIO cards are still issued in the US. I'm not sure whether it has been discontinued in other countries...
Old Aug 30, 2012, 12:55 am

Programs: Skywards Blue :-(, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold, GHA Platinum
That information is wrong.They still issue PIO's .Also check if there is consular jurisdiction for issuing PIO or OCI in your country. I.e if you live in a certain area ,are you forced to apply to the IHC/ CGI of that area?There is no consular jurisdiction for this matter in the UK. I applied to the IHC london (turnaround time 22 days) rather than CGI Birmingham (which has consular cover for the area that I live but the waiting period was 3 months!!")

However for matters other than OCI or PIO, I'll still have to go to CGI Birmingham.

Last edited by ukdoctor; Aug 30, 2012 at 1:03 am
Old Aug 30, 2012, 2:37 am

That information is wrong.They still issue PIO's .Also check if there is consular jurisdiction for issuing PIO or OCI in your country. I.e if you live in a certain area ,are you forced to apply to the IHC/ CGI of that area?There is no consular jurisdiction for this matter in the UK. I applied to the IHC london (turnaround time 22 days) rather than CGI Birmingham (which has consular cover for the area that I live but the waiting period was 3 months!!")

However for matters other than OCI or PIO, I'll still have to go to CGI Birmingham.
Yeah there is consular jurisdiction that applies in Australia but that wasn't relevant to my understanding that GoI had stopped issuing PIO cards after expanding the eligibility criteria for OCI.

Living as I do in Canberra, it is all handled by the High Commission (via VFS) anyways.
Old Aug 30, 2012, 3:02 am

SQ 421,

How long did it take you to get OCI in CBR?

Thanks,
Kris
Old Aug 30, 2012, 10:36 am

Programs: Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by oliver2002
Germany doesn't allow dual citizenship either and joining another nations armed forces or applying for another citizenship automatically makes the German citizenship lapse.
This is not true in all cases. I have a friend with both German and Argentinean passports.
Old Aug 30, 2012, 3:02 pm

Originally Posted by Kris Rao
SQ 421,

How long did it take you to get OCI in CBR?

Thanks,
Kris
Kris, I haven't applied for OCI; I dropped in my application earlier in the week for a 5 year entry visa. IHC will get back to me via VFS early next week indicating if more documents are required. A "Pre-Approval" of sorts, said the lady at VFS.
Old Aug 30, 2012, 7:46 pm

Thanks, I am thinking of applying for OCI but concerned that it might take around 2-3 months.
Old Aug 30, 2012, 8:08 pm

Programs: TK ELPL (*G), AS 100K (OWE), BA Gold (OWE), Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by Kris Rao
Thanks, I am thinking of applying for OCI but concerned that it might take around 2-3 months.
It certainly isn't advisable to budget for any less...

My most recent PIO card took 4.5 months to process, which the consulate blamed on delays in Delhi.

This is the Government of India we are talking about - always expect the worst and then hope to be pleasantly surprised.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.