Search

Mysore or Chennai?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 8, 2012, 7:11 am
44F
Original Poster

Mysore or Chennai?

Which city would you rather live?

I'm an independent American software dev. I work remotely and move from country to country for several months at a time. India is next, and I'm trying to decide which city to live in.
Old Aug 8, 2012, 7:14 am

Programs: DL DM 2MM; EK Silver; HH Gold
Bombay.
Old Aug 8, 2012, 8:12 am

Need more info. What are your interests? What do you want to do in your free time in India? Do you have a limited budget? ....
Old Aug 8, 2012, 10:05 am
44F
Original Poster

Need more info.
I'm looking for comments on general quality of life in each city, or what people did or did not like about either place.
Old Aug 8, 2012, 2:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
Originally Posted by 44F
Which city would you rather live?

I'm an independent American software dev. I work remotely and move from country to country for several months at a time. India is next, and I'm trying to decide which city to live in.
is the choice only between mysore & chennai or are you open to any other cities????
Old Aug 8, 2012, 6:14 pm

Programs: Support the Tyrants Travel Club
Darjeeling

But really, if you plan to travel a lot by air, then I would choose a metro. I like Bombay quite a bit, but Delhi is a bit more organized and less chaotic, which is probably helpful for newcomers.
Old Aug 8, 2012, 7:46 pm

Programs: TK ELPL (*G), AS 100K (OWE), BA Gold (OWE), Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat
Well, I'll have to put in a shameless plug for the nearest metro to my hometown, Mangalore

Software Development is probably far more enjoyable when you're sitting under coconut trees, breathing fresh air.

Out of the choices you've provided, I'd say Mysore is a less poor choice, purely based on weather, cleanliness, and traffic. But I definitely wouldn't recommend either city to anybody...
Old Aug 8, 2012, 8:24 pm

Programs: Marriott Platinum, HH Diamond
Chennai definitely. International/domestic connectivity, restaurants, things to do.
Old Aug 8, 2012, 9:43 pm

Mysore is the smaller city, obviously. A slower, kinder, easier place with a mild year around climate. Kind of an old fashioned charming atmosphere, not hip unless you are into yoga. Lots of yoga centers near Mysore. The train to Bangalore, a much more happening and busy place, is convenient and only takes avout 1.5 hours, or maybe 2, if I remember correctly. Chennai is a big bustling city and it does get very hot there. Too hot for me by 10 AM.
Old Aug 9, 2012, 2:32 am

Programs: UA 1k, HHonors Gold
Where are you from, and what climate are you used to?

I'm currently living in Bangalore, which has the best weather (think Southern CA) and is fairly friendly to expats. Lots of IT and banking jobs, and the cost of living is very low compared to Delhi and Mumbai. Big downside is the 1-2 hour ride to the airport each time (depending on what part of the city you live in) and the lack of cultural opportunities other than the pub scene.

I'm not a huge fan of Chennai, though I've only been once so far. Terrible heat and humidity, and their food is so spicy even the northern Indians order mild versions.

I wouldn't live in Mysore unless you're a yoga devotee. The palace is really interesting, but other than that there's not much to do.

I'm considering staying another year, and if I do I'll probably relocate to Delhi. Terrible weather (120F+ in the summer), but lots more to do and a very diverse/diplomat population. Also fantastic shopping.
Old Aug 9, 2012, 4:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
Originally Posted by hbyerly
I'm currently living in Bangalore

I'm considering staying another year, and if I do I'll probably relocate to Delhi.
personally, in india these are the only 2 cities i would want to live in....i have never been a fan of mumbai so i wouldn't suggest that....i've been to chennai many times & to mysore a couple of times but neither are places i would want to live in....
Old Aug 9, 2012, 7:22 am
Moderator: GLBT travelers, India-based Airlines and India; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Yes!
Originally Posted by Keyser
personally, in india these are the only 2 cities i would want to live in....i have never been a fan of mumbai so i wouldn't suggest that....i've been to chennai many times & to mysore a couple of times but neither are places i would want to live in....
Snap!

I would have Delhi and then Bangalore. And then emigration!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.