Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > India
Reload this Page >

Which Schengen embassy to apply to in DEL?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 15, 2012, 3:04 pm
Original Poster

I guess this thread doesn't really fit here but there's no other place to put a thread like this.

Title says it all. I need a visa in 15 calendar days. I know the rules - need to apply to country of max stay. Two questions:

1. Who can process it in 15 days? I know there are no guarantees, but based on past experience? I'm flexible in terms of which country I end up visiting but I leave out of Belgium and am definitely thinking of spending 3-4 days in Brugge if not more. I'm thinking the Germans and the Swiss can probably process a visa the fastest. What about the Belgians? The French? The Portugese? Trying to stick to going to Western Europe. I think the Greeks and the Italians are out for fast processing.

2. Can I show max stay in the country where I apply and then reduce the no. of days there after getting a visa such that it is not max? I know it's frowned upon to not visit the country you applied from but is this also a big no-no? FWIW, I've had multiple Schengen visas before incl. a German residence permit.

I will also be throwing in a trip to Croatia since Indians can visit visa-free with a Schengen this year but will not show this to the Schengen embassy and will change flight tickets later. Take it that's not a problem...
Old Mar 15, 2012, 3:11 pm

Programs: DL DM 2MM; EK Silver; HH Gold
I thought you had to fly into the country for which you received the visa. Then you can go anywhere. But I might be wrong.
Old Mar 15, 2012, 3:14 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by irfan23
I thought you had to fly into the country for which you received the visa. Then you can go anywhere. But I might be wrong.
I think it used to be based on the Port of Entry (which would be a hell of a lot more convenient - hello Germany!) but now it's based on country of max stay. I think some countries like Belgium still let you apply based on either PoE or max stay, but it's inconsistent and I've found most countries want the max stay in their country.
Old Mar 15, 2012, 4:15 pm

I believe the rule is the country that is your main destination of the first trip you'll take on the visa. So, if you are making only one trip and visiting primarily that country, then you'd apply to that country. If you are going to make multiple trips on the same visa (i.e. return to India in between), then you'd visit the country that you are visiting on the first trip. If you are visiting several countries equally, you have some wiggle room.
Old Mar 15, 2012, 7:39 pm

Programs: DL DM 2MM; EK Silver; HH Gold
That's good to know.
Old Mar 15, 2012, 10:16 pm

Programs: AA Million Miler, AA Lifetime Gold
4 days in Brugge! Are you being punished?
Old Mar 15, 2012, 10:41 pm

Just be careful, in that you will need a multiple-entry visa

Unless you've travelled to Europe a lot already and can show you need more then one entry on this trip, they will not automatically give you a multiple-entry visa (depends somewhat on consulate, but it's true generally).

Originally Posted by Brahmin
4 days in Brugge! Are you being punished?
True. Stunning as Bruges is, four days is two days too many.
Old Mar 16, 2012, 12:19 am
Suspended

Programs: Marriott - P; HH - G; Hyatt - P; Avis - LT First
you are................. the country in which you mostly will be staying is the proper place to get your visa REGARDLESS of what country your POE is............

Originally Posted by irfan23
Old Mar 16, 2012, 12:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
Originally Posted by abcx
I guess this thread doesn't really fit here but there's no other place to put a thread like this.
i think this thread would have been more apt in the 'india' forum....

if you are interested i can give you the number for my ta who prepares & submits all my visa applications on my behalf....i have been using these guys for over 10 years now....pm me if you want the details....
Old Mar 16, 2012, 12:54 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jasepl
Just be careful, in that you will need a multiple-entry visa

Unless you've travelled to Europe a lot already and can show you need more then one entry on this trip, they will not automatically give you a multiple-entry visa (depends somewhat on consulate, but it's true generally).

True. Stunning as Bruges is, four days is two days too many.
Thanks, I overlooked that multiple entry hassle. I've always gotten a multiple entry visa as far as I remember but it was in the US where they are more lenient. I guess I will show two trips to/from London to France - I guess I'll also have to show a fully refundable plane ticket or something because they're not going to take my word that I'll just buy a train ticket once there or after getting the visa.

Originally Posted by Keyser
i think this thread would have been more apt in the 'india' forum....

if you are interested i can give you the number for my ta who prepares & submits all my visa applications on my behalf....i have been using these guys for over 10 years now....pm me if you want the details....
Thanks, I usually do my visa apps myself since I need to prepare the sutff anyway, even with a TA.

But any opinions on who processes visas fast? I've read on Indian Compass that the French are more lenient in issuing longer duration visas so was thinking about using them but am wary how efficient they are. There was also a random post that claimed the process changed in Feb 2012 and is now backed up for months but I couldn't find any more information or evidence of this. How about the Belgians? The Dutch?

And any opinions on changing itinerary once I've got the visa? I don't think I'll have a problem but just wanted to make sure.

Last edited by abcx; Mar 16, 2012 at 1:08 am
Old Mar 16, 2012, 4:16 am

Programs: BA bronze, Marriott silver
The french are the most laid back wrt schengen visa processing in India. The germans have way too many rules (including a personal appearance at the consulate if you haven't been to germany at least once in the last two years .. after which they'd likely give you a single entry visa if that's the case, no matter that you got a ton of multiple entry visas before).

The last time I got a german schengen they claimed I'd not submitted a letter from m my employer (original so had to be couriered over from HK at that time) and rejected it. I called the german consulate and told them I'd actually submitted it. They were like "oh sorry, but we already rejected, you got to resubmit". Then I resubmitted - with a fresh letter fedexed over - and what do you know, the visa fee had gone up by 15 euro the very next day after they rejected my application, and moreover they gave me just a 15 day single entry visa when my last french schengen was a 1 year multiple entry that'd just expired 3 months back.

***censored*** .. surprised that they'd go to such an extent for a mere 15 euro more in visa fees.
Old Mar 16, 2012, 6:33 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by hserus
The french are the most laid back wrt schengen visa processing in India. The germans have way too many rules (including a personal appearance at the consulate if you haven't been to germany at least once in the last two years .. after which they'd likely give you a single entry visa if that's the case, no matter that you got a ton of multiple entry visas before).

The last time I got a german schengen they claimed I'd not submitted a letter from m my employer (original so had to be couriered over from HK at that time) and rejected it. I called the german consulate and told them I'd actually submitted it. They were like "oh sorry, but we already rejected, you got to resubmit". Then I resubmitted - with a fresh letter fedexed over - and what do you know, the visa fee had gone up by 15 euro the very next day after they rejected my application, and moreover they gave me just a 15 day single entry visa when my last french schengen was a 1 year multiple entry that'd just expired 3 months back.

***censored*** .. surprised that they'd go to such an extent for a mere 15 euro more in visa fees.
Amazing. How long does the French embassy take typically? I'm leaning towards going with them unless someone recommends the Swiss or the Belgians.

The US does a lot of things wrong, but a 10 yr multiple entry tourist visa is one thing they got right. And right now you can get an appointment tomorrow and they'll process it in a day.

EDIT: Oh, and BTW, do the French insist on a prepaid reservation?

Originally Posted by http://www.vfs-france.co.in/delhishortstayvisa.html
Copy of CONFIRMED prepaid hotel reservation OR sponsorship certificate (attestation d'accueil*) IN ORIGINAL

Last edited by abcx; Mar 16, 2012 at 7:17 am
Old Mar 16, 2012, 8:13 am

Programs: SPG Plat, HH Diamond, Marriott Silver, Taj IC Silver, *Gold, OW Ruby, 9W Gold, IT Gold
I'd recommend Belgium

Amazing. How long does the French embassy take typically? I'm leaning towards going with them unless someone recommends the Swiss or the Belgians.
French are actually one of the slowest; while it varies from case to case, they generally take 8-10 working days.

Belgians are actually known to be the fastest - on average, they take 3-4 working days. Only bad experience with Belgians that I know of was with one of my friends whose visa took 3 weeks.

Germany is quite timely but you need to appear in person. All in all, my suggestion is to go for Belgium.
Old Mar 16, 2012, 9:13 am

Ze Germans hooked me up in 24 hours (normal application) but that was in fair Bombay.
Old Mar 18, 2012, 6:39 am

Programs: BA bronze, Marriott silver
Any old reservation will do .. as long as you show proof you're staying and have a previous history of travel.

Also - note that you can book train tickets on the thalys, eurostar, deutschebahn etc online and attach a printout. My last trip was just like that .. 9W MAA<->BRU, BRU-CDG-BRU by train, booked online on the thalys website.

The US does a lot of things wrong, but a 10 yr multiple entry tourist visa is one thing they got right. And right now you can get an appointment tomorrow and they'll process it in a day.

EDIT: Oh, and BTW, do the French insist on a prepaid reservation?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.