Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Malaria meds?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 27, 2012, 12:35 pm
Original Poster

Malaria meds?

Going on a cruise that spends about 3 days in Sri Lanka and 8 days in India. We will not be going inland except for a day backwater tour around Cochin. Some people recommmend malaria medication and some don't. Don't like taking medication unless it's absolute necessary but as a doctor friend said "it only takes one bite" and that has stuck with me.

For those who may live there and those who have experience with travel in India, what are your thoughts?

Thank you!
Old Feb 27, 2012, 1:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
a lot of my friends, family members & clients are visiting india all the time....some get malaria medication & some don't....no one has ever had a problem in all these years....
Old Feb 27, 2012, 2:41 pm

I know a couple of close friends/relatives (both upper class) who have gotten malaria over the last few years. And this was in a major city, going about their daily lives. It really does take just one mosquito.

Keyser, by "no one has ever had a problem", I'm assuming you mean that malaria medication is readily and cheaply available in India should someone need it?
Old Feb 27, 2012, 8:32 pm

Programs: BA bronze, Marriott silver
Originally Posted by hyderago
I know a couple of close friends/relatives (both upper class) who have gotten malaria over the last few years. And this was in a major city, going about their daily lives. It really does take just one mosquito.

Keyser, by "no one has ever had a problem", I'm assuming you mean that malaria medication is readily and cheaply available in India should someone need it?
Given that Indians do get malaria, and mosquitoes do exist in India, and there's no shortage of doctors or pharmacies either - yes, you will get medication and treatment for malaria in India. Cheaper than you would stateside, I might add.
Old Feb 28, 2012, 11:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
Originally Posted by hyderago
pretty much, but the main point of my post was that no visitor i know has got malaria in india, whether they had the medication or not....so its not something that is common....

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.