Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Driver in New Delhi

Search this Thread

Old Jan 26, 2012, 2:19 pm
Original Poster

Driver in New Delhi

Hi- Is there a reliable company to use for pick ups and drop offs at the Delhi airport and then to take people around town as needed? About how much should this cost? Thanks.
Old Jan 27, 2012, 12:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
Originally Posted by ChicagoKat
Hi- Is there a reliable company to use for pick ups and drop offs at the Delhi airport and then to take people around town as needed? About how much should this cost? Thanks.
meru cabs....more details before:

http://www.merucabs.com/
Old Jan 28, 2012, 3:05 am

Programs: SK,VS,KLM
I have used KGN Travels based out of Gurgaon for years. They do trips to Agra and "Golden Triangle" as well. Cars of varying size, but always very friendly and reliable. Even when a dinner party extends to the morning hours and the driver is kept waiting.
If you are being met at the airport insist that you text them the name of the passenger, spelling has been an issue on occasion.

Note that because they are based out of Gurgaon this may not be a good option (slightly pricey?) if you are only staying in central Delhi and not moving around much.

Mr. Akhtar at +919810787872

Not sure of exact price....Agra back and forth to Delhi maybe 4-5000. A day around Delhi between 1200-2000. Dependent on hours and distance. You can ask for an estimate before you book. But be patient, English not always their strong point. If an answer is hesitant, ask same question again, in a different way and you will be more certain.

Last edited by ScandiNomad; Jan 28, 2012 at 3:08 am Reason: Forgot to answer all questions
Old Feb 19, 2012, 11:30 pm

Programs: MR, SPG, JetPrivilege
If you are looking at a reliable company in delhi, i would say just use a big company.

I personally book through avis, you can book on their website

avis.co.in

they maybe a bit more expensive but the service differs.
Old Jan 2, 2013, 12:52 am

Programs: LH, AB & CX Gold, SIXT Plat, SPG Gold, Hilton Gold, etc.
We decided to stay five nights in India to do a roundtrip Deli-Agra-Jaipur-Deli.

We will go to Agra right from the airport, stay there one night and do some sigthseeing in the morning of day 2. In the afternoon of day two we´ll be going to Jaipur. Day three will be Jaipur sightseeing. On day four we´ll be driving to Deli around noon. Day five will be Delhi sightseeing. On Day 6 we´ll just go to the airport to catch to 2 pm flight to BKK.

What will we have to expect to pay (all expeses included) if we decide to hire a driver for the whole time?

Is there any company you can recommend?
Old Jan 2, 2013, 1:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
Originally Posted by Rocket2511
We decided to stay five nights in India to do a roundtrip Deli-Agra-Jaipur-Deli.

We will go to Agra right from the airport, stay there one night and do some sigthseeing in the morning of day 2. In the afternoon of day two we´ll be going to Jaipur. Day three will be Jaipur sightseeing. On day four we´ll be driving to Deli around noon. Day five will be Delhi sightseeing. On Day 6 we´ll just go to the airport to catch to 2 pm flight to BKK.

What will we have to expect to pay (all expeses included) if we decide to hire a driver for the whole time?

Is there any company you can recommend?
i can recommend the ta my firm uses....they will be on the expensive side but you will be guaranteed a good car, english speaking driver who can also act as a guide, can pay via credit card or local currency or foreign currency, etc....if you are interested then let me know & i can pm you the details....
Old Jan 2, 2013, 2:24 am

Programs: QFF P1 LTG, lots of others
Originally Posted by Keyser
i can recommend the ta my firm uses....they will be on the expensive side but you will be guaranteed a good car, english speaking driver who can also act as a guide, can pay via credit card or local currency or foreign currency, etc....if you are interested then let me know & i can pm you the details....
I'd like the details too, thanks
Old Jan 2, 2013, 2:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by funkyr
I'd like the details too, thanks
pm sent....
Old Jan 2, 2013, 3:19 am

Programs: LH, AB & CX Gold, SIXT Plat, SPG Gold, Hilton Gold, etc.
Originally Posted by Keyser
please pm me the details!
Old Apr 24, 2013, 9:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I can recommend a Delhi-based driver

On my recent trip to India I had an excellent, very reliable independent driver that I can recommend. He is Delhi-based, and took us around Rajasthan. He'd probably take you anywhere you wanted in India (although you'll have to pay travel time to meet you someplace far). His English is good, and I got some interesting insights about Indian life from him. PM me if you need the name. He's not too expensive, but not the cheapest.
Old Oct 22, 2013, 8:08 am

Delhi / Rajasthan Driver

We are on an expat assignment in Bangalore and used an independent driver for our Delhi/Rajasthan trip recommended on a Bangalore expat yahoo group (we also found recommendations for him on Tripadvisor).

He was always on time (early, in fact), did not use his horn, and has excellent written and verbal English communication skills.

PM me for his email and mobile contact information.
Old Oct 22, 2013, 9:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by moorea2004
He was always on time (early, in fact), did not use his horn, and has excellent written and verbal English communication skills.
He didn't use his horn? And you survived?

Seriously, driving in India is very different from any place else I've been. Someone described it to me as the difference between "you first" (the rest of the world) and "me first" (India). The horn is an essential component of their driving system. It's one of the very few places in the world where I wouldn't feel comfortable driving myself around. The driving practices are just so very different, and seemingly dangerous to outsiders unfamiliar with them.

BTW, welcome to Flyertalk, although I must say folks will be suspicious that your first post is a driver recommendation.
Old Oct 30, 2013, 9:45 am

Originally Posted by iahphx
He didn't use his horn? And you survived?

Seriously, driving in India is very different from any place else I've been. Someone described it to me as the difference between "you first" (the rest of the world) and "me first" (India). The horn is an essential component of their driving system. It's one of the very few places in the world where I wouldn't feel comfortable driving myself around. The driving practices are just so very different, and seemingly dangerous to outsiders unfamiliar with them.

BTW, welcome to Flyertalk, although I must say folks will be suspicious that your first post is a driver recommendation.
I have lurked around Flyertalk for years as both my husband and I traveled a lot for work - both attaining Lifetime Gold on AA - but have never actually posted. I figured it was time to start sharing (now that I have time on my hands - without a work visa in India).

Believe it or not - after a year and a half of living in India - my husband drives us around on the weekends. I think he's nuts, but he enjoys it - says it's like being in a real life game of Frogger or something along those lines. My husband relies on his horn, but I can count on one hand the number of times our Bangalore driver has used his horn in the past year and a half - so it is definitely possible.

Time for me to find more things to post so I can gain some credibility here.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.