Wiki Posts
Search

Re Indian Tourist Visa 60 Day Re-Entry & FRRO

Search this Thread

Old Apr 27, 2011, 4:46 am
Original Poster

Programs: QF,UA,VA
Re Indian Tourist Visa 60 Day Re-Entry & FRRO

Guys, need some urgent help, if I have a tourist visa with the "mandatory 60 day gap required between future visits" and I gain a waiver for the 60 day gap through Indian consulate, do I still have to register with the FRRO in India within 14 days of arrival?? Can some one please clarify this??

Re-Entry Permit: If after a visa is issued, and the applicant needs to re-enter India within two months of exit, a Re-entry Permit is required (even for a multiple entry visa holder). After processing such cases an endorsement would be made on passport permitting two to three entries depending on the itinerary and supporting documents submitted by the applicant. A fee equivalent of A$25 would be chargeable for granting such permission. This service can be availed directly at the, High Commission of India in Canberra/Consulate General of India in Sydney/Melbourne. In all such cases the applicant should register with the Foreigners Regional Registration Officer (FRRO) with in 14 days of arrival. All Tourist visas are non extendable and non convertible Immigration Authorities in India may also grant such re-entry permit to persons of Indian origin in emergency cases.
Should I take the "ALL SUCH" as in context to this? rather then "ALL OTHER CASES" ??
Thanks in advance!
Old Apr 27, 2011, 5:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
yes you have to....my client ran into this problem just last week....he had the waiver & failed to register....when he got to the airport to fly back to the uk they did not let him board the flight....he had to wait till the following day to register & only then did they allow him to fly back....
Old Apr 27, 2011, 6:26 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Keyser
yes you have to....my client ran into this problem just last week....he had the waiver & failed to register....when he got to the airport to fly back to the uk they did not let him board the flight....he had to wait till the following day to register & only then did they allow him to fly back....
Thanks Keyser, thank god I've found out now as Iv gone through threads online and people have been refused boarding for not having the waiver! so basically it's just a Police Clearance? like If you stay > 6 months in India, the reason being in Ludhiana there is no FRRO office, so I will need to head to local Police HQ and register there?
Cheers
Old Apr 27, 2011, 6:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
Originally Posted by flyinsikh
in Ludhiana there is no FRRO office, so I will need to head to local Police HQ and register there?
Cheers
not quite sure about that....it may be worth mentioning this to the authority that gave you the waiver....
Old Apr 27, 2011, 6:44 am
Original Poster

not quite sure about that....it may be worth mentioning this to the authority that gave you the waiver....
No worries, well that's what I've found anyway on FRR's website, there is a proper FRRO office in Chandigarh UT, or in Amritsar but they state in other Indian towns/cities a SP of Police is qualified to act as a FRRO officer.... Hopefully things work out..

cheers ^
Old Apr 27, 2011, 10:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 1M
I know this won't help with your current situation, have you considered getting an OCI?
Old Apr 27, 2011, 7:16 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by UA Fan
I know this won't help with your current situation, have you considered getting an OCI?
I did think of getting one before I left, but the wait is like 8 weeks ex SYD, and I had to go in an emergency as one of my relo's became ill, and then I had to return and re-enter India again as they got re-admitted back into Hospital, was caught up with this, than I just read the fineprint online stating "you must register with FRRO" if u re-enter within 60days.......

anyway I will be surely considering OCI, since ex AUS the Indian govt does not allow 10 year visa's like in the States.... 5 year visa is equivalent to the fee of OCI, so Id rather go for the OCI.
Old Apr 27, 2011, 11:16 pm
Original Poster

Guys, is it 60 days from Departure or 60 days from Arrival?? as I arrived in DELHI on 28th January and flew back to SYD on 12 March, and then re-entered DEL on 6th April?? I went to the FRRO office they said I do not need to register, as I re-entered India after 60 days?? (they said they only look at the arrival date, nothing to do with departure date) since I re-entered India after 60 days of my first arrival... ?? is this true? I don't want to get harassed at the Airport..
and the official also said, if I had to "register" it would have stated on the VISA STAMP/RE-ENTRY ENDORSEMENT Stamp, but nothing is there..
Thanks ^
Old Apr 27, 2011, 11:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 1M
I wish they would waive visa requirements for former citizens. Guess I can't have it all.
Old Apr 28, 2011, 1:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Guys, is it 60 days from Departure or 60 days from Arrival?? as I arrived in DELHI on 28th January and flew back to SYD on 12 March, and then re-entered DEL on 6th April?? I went to the FRRO office they said I do not need to register, as I re-entered India after 60 days?? (they said they only look at the arrival date, nothing to do with departure date) since I re-entered India after 60 days of my first arrival... ?? is this true? I don't want to get harassed at the Airport..
and the official also said, if I had to "register" it would have stated on the VISA STAMP/RE-ENTRY ENDORSEMENT Stamp, but nothing is there..
Thanks ^
i believe its 60 days from departure....
Old Apr 28, 2011, 1:51 am

I wish they would waive visa requirements for former citizens. Guess I can't have it all.
They do waive visa requirements for current citizens though.

Just sayin'
Old Apr 28, 2011, 2:06 am

Programs: BA Gold (OW Emerald) & Jet Airways - Thank goodness i never got started.......most awful FF program
They sort of do, apply for OCI and consider the fee as an one off administration fee for a lifetime visa.

A bit of a pain to apply but totally worth it in situations like the OP describes.
Old Apr 28, 2011, 3:23 am
Original Poster

i believe its 60 days from departure....
there's so many voids in the system, guess will have to find out at the airport and see what happens..

will surely go for an OCI once I get back... as the stress and running around is just not worth it..
Old Apr 28, 2011, 4:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

there's so many voids in the system, guess will have to find out at the airport and see what happens..

will surely go for an OCI once I get back... as the stress and running around is just not worth it..
good idea....^^
Old Apr 28, 2011, 5:37 am

Programs: QF WP (OWE) / LTG (LT OWS) | Hyatt Globalist
Colour me confused. They prevented a presumably British citizen who was in India on a visa, from boarding an outbound flight that would take him out of the country.

Why???

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.