Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > India
Reload this Page >

Restrictions returning from Sri Lanka to India?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 19, 2010, 9:21 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP

Hi everyone,

Someone told me rather assuredly that if as a tourist you enter India from Sri Lanka you're only allowed to be in India for 72 hours. The only explanation I can think of is if this 72 hour stipulation is for transit without visa and that if you have an Indian tourist visa you can stay longer than 72 hours.

Can anyone confirm? Better to be safe than sorry.

Cheers,
Will
Old Oct 19, 2010, 10:48 pm

Programs: BA bronze, Marriott silver
You have to get a transit visa anyway - there isn't any "out of airport" transit without a visa.
Old Oct 20, 2010, 5:27 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by hserus
You have to get a transit visa anyway - there isn't any "out of airport" transit without a visa.
Right--my bad: transit visa. But if you elect for a multiple entry tourist visa for India and return from Sri Lanka, there's no restriction for remaining in India for only 72 hours?
Old Oct 20, 2010, 11:26 am

Programs: CO Plat; UA 1K; EK Gold
Originally Posted by Winglets747
Right--my bad: transit visa. But if you elect for a multiple entry tourist visa for India and return from Sri Lanka, there's no restriction for remaining in India for only 72 hours?
While I dont know the exact answer to your question, be aware that if you are on a tourist visa and exit India, then you cannot re-enter within 60 days unless you have a special permit.
Old Oct 20, 2010, 12:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
Originally Posted by snod08
While I dont know the exact answer to your question, be aware that if you are on a tourist visa and exit India, then you cannot re-enter within 60 days unless you have a special permit.
that is correct....keep in mind though that it is not very difficult to get the special permission if you will be in transit on your way back....

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.