Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > India
Reload this Page >

First trip to India-don't want to get sick!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 24, 2010, 5:21 am
Original Poster

So far I have had shots for Hep A&B as well as Tetanus.
Doc gave me a prescription for Levaquin and, based on a recent post, plan on asking him for Xifaxan.
I am staying in top hotels in Delhi and Chennai so I assume that bottled water (Evian or equivalent) will be available and that shower water will not present a problem.
As far as food goes, I only plan on avoiding street food, uncooked vegetables, salads and ice.
Will bring some mosquito repellent (Off or equivalent).
Plan on wearing long sleeve shirts,slacks and executive length socks.
Will only drink bottled water, wine, beer or alcohol served straight up.
Am I missing anything-this list already sounds like going off to the heart of darkness ?
Your advice will be much appreciated and I will report back!
Old Sep 24, 2010, 6:22 am

Programs: It's Complicated...
You can do all that but I can tell you from first hand experience that sometimes your body just doesnt like something in the food you eat etc. I would say that list is pretty solid though.
Old Sep 24, 2010, 7:01 am

Programs: BA GfL
Originally Posted by mcgahat
You can do all that but I can tell you from first hand experience that sometimes your body just doesnt like something in the food you eat etc. I would say that list is pretty solid though.
+1, especially the part about getting sick (from food) anyway, no matter how many precautions you take. If you have not traveled to India before, or don't do a lot of traveling in the developing world, just prepare to have some stomach issues no matter what. Bring Immodium and memorize the ingredients of the BRAT treatment (banana, rice, applesauce and toast) for recovering from diarrhea/dehydration. And eat a lot of yogurt--it's everywhere in India (called curd--it is available at all mealtimes) and is really good for keeping your stomach healthy.
Old Sep 24, 2010, 11:07 am

Programs: BA blue, LH Senator, KQ (FB) gold
Your precautions sound sensible.

Shower water - is safe for showering, not for drinking, keep your mouth closed while showering.

Rinse your toothbrush with bottled water not tap water.

Indian food can be quite rich with a lot of fat and spice. It is easy to overindulge and have problems that way.

Finally, you should consider malaria prophylaxis - malaria is far worse than abdominal complaints, although your mosquito preventions do seem to be sensible.
Old Sep 24, 2010, 11:14 am

Programs: UA 1K, HH LTD
Even with all the precautions mentioned you are likely to catch something as a first time visitor to India, especially if you are not used to spicy food.
Old Sep 24, 2010, 11:57 am

You've done your research; your plans are careful. I'd add giving yourself time to get over the time differences, get adequate rest, stay hydrated. And now that you have all this in place, focus on the adventure and have a wonderful time.

Sylvia
Old Sep 25, 2010, 1:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
you should be fine jehflyer....just don't let these issues spoil your trip....sometime people worry so much about the fact that they might get sick, they forget the purpose of the trip....
Old Sep 25, 2010, 8:34 pm

Programs: AA EXP/LT Plat, SPG Plat/LT Plat, HHonors Gold, Hyatt Plat, IHG Plat, MR Silver
Originally Posted by You want to go where?
Shower water - is safe for showering, not for drinking, keep your mouth closed while showering.

Rinse your toothbrush with bottled water not tap water.
In a five star? Or even a slightly lesser hotel?

Brushing with bottled water is not necessary at all. You can use the tap water for that.
Old Sep 25, 2010, 9:23 pm

Programs: BA bronze, Marriott silver
Dont bother with the anti malarials unless you actually GET malaria.

You aren't likely to find mosquitoes in top hotels. And you dont want to drink Evian - that's way overpriced at any top hotel. There are plenty of local water brands available - Aquafina, Bisleri etc - which should do.

And the hotel drinking water supply is filtered so no worries there.

Just dont drink the shower water.

Originally Posted by jehflyer
So far I have had shots for Hep A&B as well as Tetanus.
Doc gave me a prescription for Levaquin and, based on a recent post, plan on asking him for Xifaxan.
I am staying in top hotels in Delhi and Chennai so I assume that bottled water (Evian or equivalent) will be available and that shower water will not present a problem.
As far as food goes, I only plan on avoiding street food, uncooked vegetables, salads and ice.
Will bring some mosquito repellent (Off or equivalent).
Plan on wearing long sleeve shirts,slacks and executive length socks.
Will only drink bottled water, wine, beer or alcohol served straight up.
Am I missing anything-this list already sounds like going off to the heart of darkness ?
Your advice will be much appreciated and I will report back!
Old Sep 26, 2010, 12:45 pm

Programs: BA blue, LH Senator, KQ (FB) gold
Originally Posted by hserus

And the hotel drinking water supply is filtered so no worries there.
Clarifying - the drinking water supply is what comes in bottles. I wouldn't drink what comes out of the tap, no matter what tap it comes from - shower, tub, or sink. I have only been in one hotel in all of India which even claimed its tap water was safe. Since the bottled water is free in 5-star hotels, you might as well use it.
Old Sep 26, 2010, 6:24 pm

Programs: BA bronze, Marriott silver
Clarifying - the drinking water supply is what comes in bottles. I wouldn't drink what comes out of the tap, no matter what tap it comes from - shower, tub, or sink. I have only been in one hotel in all of India which even claimed its tap water was safe. Since the bottled water is free in 5-star hotels, you might as well use it.
I'm not talking about tap water. I'm talking about bottled water placed in your hotel rooms, or that you buy from convenience stores.

And also about water that the hotel waiter serves you from a jug he's carrying. He'll of course ask if you would prefer evian first (at about 5 dollars a bottle), or failing that, a 10 rupee (5 cents) bottle of water at about a dollar.
Old Sep 26, 2010, 11:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
Originally Posted by hserus
a 10 rupee (5 cents) bottle of water at about a dollar.
inr 10 is about 20 cents....
Old Sep 28, 2010, 5:01 am

Programs: UA Gold, HH Diamond, Marriott Gold
I take powdered Gatorade for when I get sick. I was never a fan of Immodium until I got really sick in Mongolia and wound up eliminating more than I could take in.

On my only trip to India, I didn't get sick, so maybe you'll have good luck. (I tend to get sick in South/Central America and Central Asia and Germany.)
Old Sep 28, 2010, 6:25 am

Programs: BAEC (Gold), PC (Plat), HH (Gold), MR (Gold)
Originally Posted by mcgahat
You can do all that but I can tell you from first hand experience that sometimes your body just doesnt like something in the food you eat etc.
Fecal matter from the hand of the person who prepared it usually does the trick.
Old Oct 2, 2010, 12:38 am
Moderator, El Al and Marriott Bonvoy, FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: SQ*G, Mar LTT, Hyatt Glb, AA LTG, LY, HH, IC, BA, DL, UA SLV
I figure any hotel which give me free water knows something about the quality of the water from the tap. I still brush my teeth with the bottled water and in the office, though they have filtered water, I stick to bottled water. Never gotten sick in some 50 trips.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.