3 nights: Mumbai OR New Delhi?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 23, 2010, 9:07 am
Original Poster

Programs: Spire RA, 1865 Voyager, Bonvoy Titanium, FB LP, LH SEN.

Hi, I'll be travelling to India for the first time in August, going to Chennai on business/ friends visit. On my way there, I can make a stop-over for max 3 nights at one of the EK destinations in the west (BOM, DEL, Bangalore, Kozhikode, Kochi, Thiruvananthapuram), and was thinking of either BOM or DEL to start with. But would be open for all other ideas.

What would you suggest to do?

Thanks for all input!

Last edited by Chinatrvl; Feb 23, 2010 at 9:30 am
Old Feb 23, 2010, 3:54 pm

Delhi has far more touristy stuff to do that Mumbai.

Mumbai is a business city whose only attraction is the city itself.
Old Feb 23, 2010, 6:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP / LT PLT / 3MM, Marriott LT Gold
Originally Posted by B747-437B
Delhi has far more touristy stuff to do that Mumbai.

Mumbai is a business city whose only attraction is the city itself.
Absolutely agree. There is nothing to do or see in Mumbai, unless you have very good friends who live there that are willing to take you around and show you the real life of the city.
Old Feb 23, 2010, 9:13 pm

You'd have time to take a trip to Agra to see the Taj Mahal. It's about 4 hour car ride from Delhi (you could hire a private driver from your hotel in delhi for around $100 US). I'd suggest one night in Agra and the rest in Delhi looking around.
Old Feb 24, 2010, 4:31 am
Original Poster

Thank you all, so Delhi it is Will see whether it works out with going to Agra as well. Thank you again!
Old Feb 24, 2010, 7:09 am

Programs: CO NW DL AA SPG Hyatt
Originally Posted by vasantn
Absolutely agree. There is nothing to do or see in Mumbai, unless you have very good friends who live there that are willing to take you around and show you the real life of the city.
Very tru.

DEL and for sure do Agra
Old Feb 26, 2010, 2:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
all good points....if you are in delhi then you can even make a trip to udaipur & stay at the lake palace....a wonderful experience....mumbai has never had any real tourist charm attached to it....

Last edited by Keyser; Feb 26, 2010 at 2:38 pm
Old Feb 26, 2010, 8:16 am
Original Poster

Thanks again for all the input!

Originally Posted by saad
all good points....if you are in delhi then you can even make a trip to jaipur & stay at the lake palace....a wonderful experience....mumbai has never had any real tourist charm attached to it....
Is it worth to split up a three night stay and go to Jaipur or/and Agra? Or can Delhi itself keep us occupied for three days?
The Taj in Jaipur and the Oberoi in Agra do look very inviting
Old Feb 26, 2010, 2:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
Originally Posted by Chinatrvl

Is it worth to split up a three night stay and go to Jaipur or/and Agra? Or can Delhi itself keep us occupied for three days?
my mistake, i meant to say the lake palace in udaipur....

but coming back to your question, i would suggest a day trip to agra & maybe a day each in jaipur (taj rambagh palace) & in udaipur (taj lake palace)....two of the most amazing properties in india....
Old Feb 26, 2010, 3:37 pm
Moderator, El Al and Marriott Bonvoy, FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: SQ*G, Mar LTT, Hyatt Glb, AA LTG, LY, HH, IC, BA, DL, UA SLV

We did a triangle tour in 2008 staying at SPG properties. You could drive to Jaipur, see the sights and stay at the Sheraton Rajputana Palace Hotel, Jaipur. The next morning drive to see Fatehpur Sikri and continue to see the Taj in Agra. Overnight at the ITC Mughal, Agra. The next morning drive to Delhi, see some sights and stay at the ITC Maurya, New Delhi.
Old Mar 30, 2010, 3:20 pm

Programs: AA Gold, Alaska MVP; Free Agent Super Duper Diamond Treasure Chest ;)

Oh Delhi can keep you busy for three days for sure. You should definitely do Agra.
Old Apr 5, 2010, 6:32 am

India is known in the world for its Cultural heritage and Monuments. To get the feel of real India I feel Delhi would be a good place to visit, as there are some cool places to visit like Lal quila, Qutub minar, India Gate, Chandni Chowk-known for its street food, Wrold Famous Akshardham Mandir etc. One recently opened hot entertainment destination here is 'Kingdom of Dreams' - this place will offer Bollywood musical theatre, stage shows, performing arts, Indian culture, heritage, crafts, Indian cuisine and shopping under a massive erection.
Old Apr 6, 2010, 5:08 pm

Programs: DL GM 1MM, MR LT Titanium
Agree with everyone else...Delhi over Mumbai. I might do the first day in Delhi, take the train to Agra that night, day 2 in Agra, take the train to Jaipur, day 3 in Jaipur, and take the train back to Delhi.
Old Apr 6, 2010, 7:24 pm

Programs: Support the Tyrants Travel Club
Sadly, it seems that Mumbai will lose this "competition," but I must make a stand for it nonetheless.

Some of the great things about Mumbai (vs. Delhi):

• [*]
  • [*]
  • [*]
  • [*]
  • [*]
  • [*]
  • [*]
  • [*]
  • [*]
Old Apr 12, 2010, 6:47 am

Programs: Don't think it matters...
Originally Posted by knit-in
Oh Delhi can keep you busy for three days for sure. You should definitely do Agra.
Hmmm.. I see tht everywhere folks are suggesting Agra, Jaipur, Udaipur in 3 days.. IMHO, it would be quite hectic.. the OP would hv seen a lot but watched nothing..
IMO, he should plan on spending 2 days in delhi and 1 day trip to Agra..delhi itself has a lot to offer.. take a 1 day guided tour for sure..
For the Agra day trip, u can either go by cab which as somewhere mentioned costs abt USD 100-150, or go in one of the luyury AC buses ( I am aware that some leave from near hyatt near bhikji cama place).. its also quite comfortable and u get to learn a lot more since there will be other folks and a guide etc...
stay in delhi for 2 days surely.. see around .. visit india gate, CP, qutab minar, lotus temple ( really good), lodhi gardens, safdarjung tomb, see rashtrapati bhavan and parliament house( alas from outside) etc etc.

Only thing to note.. north india can be a hot month in August unless we hv good monsoons ..

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.