Reload this Page >

Getting a TV to India - Customs Question

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Getting a TV to India - Customs Question

Search this Thread

Old Jan 13, 2014, 2:13 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
Originally Posted by asdf1223
Saw signs in Delhi too. Import Duty will be assessed on TVs. Was posted on the support structures near the baggage belt.
Yep, I saw them Nov 1 last year.
Old Jan 20, 2014, 5:37 pm

70" TV is allowed to carry to India from USA?

Last May 2013, I have taken 46" Samsung smart TV thro British Airway, I checked in as one of check-in baggage and there was no additional charges. But I have paid duty charges at Bangalore around 8k even through it was one year old used TV. I believe from Aug 2013, the duty charges have gone as high as 35%.

I'm planning to take new 70" TV from USA to India shortly

Is it possible to carry such a big TV even If I'm ready to pay over weight and size ?

I may take multiple flights(domestic and international), is that overweight and size charges have to pay only once during first check in or to pay Domestic as well as international flights separately ?

What will be approximate duty charges at Bangalore for 70" new TV ?
Old Jan 20, 2014, 6:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OW Emerald, *A Gold, NEXUS, GE, ABTC/APEC, South Korea SES, eIACS, PP, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by asjayara
Last May 2013, I have taken 46" Samsung smart TV thro British Airway, I checked in as one of check-in baggage and there was no additional charges. But I have paid duty charges at Bangalore around 8k even through it was one year old used TV. I believe from Aug 2013, the duty charges have gone as high as 35%.

Is it possible to carry such a big TV even If I'm ready to pay over weight and size ?

I may take multiple flights(domestic and international), is that overweight and size charges have to pay only once during first check in or to pay Domestic as well as international flights separately ?

9W and BA have an interline agreement which I have used successfully before.
I do not know the customs charges (I imported TVs before the change.)
Old Jan 20, 2014, 7:42 pm

Programs: Don't think it matters...
Originally Posted by AA_EXP09
9W and BA have an interline agreement which I have used successfully before.
I do not know the customs charges (I imported TVs before the change.)

70" tv would be very big..what are the dimensions?
This is what is mentioned in the Jet site..
Excess Baggage Fees to / from North America
Excess baggage fees are chargeable if the checked baggage exceeds Jet Airways’ free checked baggage allowance. Effective June 1, 2012, our excess baggage rates have been revised. The new excess baggage rates to / from North America as are below:

To / from India, Bangkok, Hong Kong, Singapore, Gulf / Middle East, Dhaka, Kathmandu and Colombo
Extra Piece: USD 200 per piece (maximum of 23 kgs)
Overweight: USD 150 (Over 23 kgs & less than 32 kgs)
Oversized: USD 150 per piece

Customs charges are ~36% of the value of the tv.. usually they have a list ( not very updated) of the average price of tv models , sizes etc and they take
36% as the customs duty flat.. no duty free allowance on tv's now..
Old Jan 20, 2014, 8:01 pm

Programs: Support the Tyrants Travel Club
with the duty, excess/oversize bag fees, and possible warranty/service issues, you really have to consider whether it's worth the trouble of importing it...

have you compared the price to an exact or similar model available locally in India?
Old Jan 20, 2014, 11:20 pm

Originally Posted by Mr. Bean
with the duty, excess/oversize bag fees, and possible warranty/service issues, you really have to consider whether it's worth the trouble of importing it...

have you compared the price to an exact or similar model available locally in India?
+1
Old Jan 21, 2014, 3:06 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

I don't think a 70 inch monster in suitable packing can even be checked as luggage...
Old Jan 21, 2014, 9:20 pm

Programs: US Air, UA BA LH AI DELTA MARRIOTT CHOICE SGP
Originally Posted by abhilife2001
70" tv would be very big..what are the dimensions?
This is what is mentioned in the Jet site..
Excess Baggage Fees to / from North America
Excess baggage fees are chargeable if the checked baggage exceeds Jet Airways’ free checked baggage allowance. Effective June 1, 2012, our excess baggage rates have been revised. The new excess baggage rates to / from North America as are below:

To / from India, Bangkok, Hong Kong, Singapore, Gulf / Middle East, Dhaka, Kathmandu and Colombo
Extra Piece: USD 200 per piece (maximum of 23 kgs)
Overweight: USD 150 (Over 23 kgs & less than 32 kgs)
Oversized: USD 150 per piece

Customs charges are ~36% of the value of the tv.. usually they have a list ( not very updated) of the average price of tv models , sizes etc and they take
36% as the customs duty flat.. no duty free allowance on tv's now..
Re carrying price documents, they want to "doubt" a cash register slip such as from Best Buy. I suggest he carry screenshots of prices from various suppliers to support his documentation.
Old Jan 21, 2014, 9:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OW Emerald, *A Gold, NEXUS, GE, ABTC/APEC, South Korea SES, eIACS, PP, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by Mr. Bean

And don't forget potential signal problem.
Old Jan 21, 2014, 11:48 pm

Thanks for all your tips.. Definitely I reconsider carrying such big TV :-)

Is anyone carried more than 50" TV to India or any other Aisan country.. so that I can plan for the same. Again, I will make sure is it worth to carry by comparing the price at India before purchasing it.

Thanks again
Old Jan 22, 2014, 4:16 am

Thanks for all your tips.. Definitely I reconsider carrying such big TV :-)

Is anyone carried more than 50" TV to India or any other Aisan country.. so that I can plan for the same. Again, I will make sure is it worth to carry by comparing the price at India before purchasing it.

Thanks again
I believe considering 36% duty, excess baggage charges , servicing issues and resulting risks the differential is minimal if at all..
Old Jan 22, 2014, 5:47 am

Originally Posted by abhilife2001
I believe considering 36% duty, excess baggage charges , servicing issues and resulting risks the differential is minimal if at all..
+1 seriously, go to a neighbourhood TV dealer and bargain a bit. You will find that the so called 'total cost of ownership' is much better for a TV bought in India. This is 2014.
Old Jan 22, 2014, 8:08 pm

Originally Posted by oliver2002
+1 seriously, go to a neighbourhood TV dealer and bargain a bit. You will find that the so called 'total cost of ownership' is much better for a TV bought in India. This is 2014.
specially if u r planning to buy a 50" / 70" tv which is a premium product in India with not huge sale volumes !
Old Mar 24, 2014, 3:08 am

getting used TV from middle east

hello
I want to know how much would be custom duty at delhi airport for 32" LED TV which is used for 2 years.
I am shifting permanently back to india.
The original price of TV was 35000 rupees.
Old Mar 24, 2014, 3:22 am

Moving a household back to india will have different rules... also 32 inch is pretty small and may slide under the rule...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.