Need advise on sim card for iphone - with internet

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 13, 2010, 10:56 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA - Platinum; Starwood - Platinum; Alaska - MVP75; IHG - Platinum; Hilton - Gold; Marriott - Gold

I will be in India for a month and I have a jailbroken/unlocked iphone to use in India. I want advice reg. which is the best company that offers both phone and internet service (like 3G) in India? Usually how long does the process takes? How much will be per month? Can I wait to go there and get it or do I need my relatives to apply for me right now, so that it is ready for me when I arrive there?

Thanks all in advance.
Old Jan 13, 2010, 9:07 pm

Programs: Support the Tyrants Travel Club
AFAIK, only Vodafone and Airtel are servicing the iPhone. Is that right?

Vodafone:

http://vodafone.in/newusers/whyvodaf...s.aspx?cid=mum

5p/10Kb

Airtel:

http://www.airtel.in/iphone3g/iphonedataplan.html

30p/50Kb (6p/10Kb to compare to Vodafone)

Those are only the data plans, calling rates will be separate.

Presumably you would do a prepaid plan instead of signing up for postpaid (which I think would involve more paperwork), but it's hardly cheap.

Assuming you use just 200 MB (200 MB*1024Kb/MB = 204,800 Kb)

That's 1024 INR with Vodafone and 1229 INR with Airtel.

It's fine if you use it just for e-mails and basic web browsing obviously but not really economical to tether with your notebook for videos, songs, etc.

It is possible to sign up for a postpaid plan, but make sure you cancel and pay off the bill on time. Also, they can potentially claim you used more data than allowed (even though you didn't). I had this experience with Airtel when I signed up for a wireless aircard and then tried to cancel it at the end of my trip.

Last edited by Mr. Bean; Jan 13, 2010 at 9:12 pm
Old Jan 14, 2010, 12:04 am

Thanks a lot Mr. Bean, that's really lots of info. Appreciate it. Will check them.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.