Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > India-Based Airlines
Reload this Page >

"Visit Asia" type fares offered by India-based Airlines?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 28, 2009, 2:00 pm
Original Poster

Programs: PLAT -- 2.7Million

Please advise.
I am planning to fly some routes this fall such as:
BKK-DEL-BKK
DEL-KTM-DEL
DEL-DAC-DEL (or DEL-KTM-DAC-DEL if this is less expensive than the 2 round trips)

I will be arriving in Bangkok via a OneWorld Alliance Round The World ticket, then going BKK-Delhi on a ticket I'll have to buy, then returning to BKK to continue my RTW months later.

Is there an Indian-based airline (or any airline for that matter) that would offer better pricing through a "Visit Asia" (i.e "per segment") type of a pass, verses the cost of round trip tickets?

If not, any suggestions on low-cost carriers for these trips?

Assuming there is very little difference in safety between the airlines (correct me if you feel that is not a sound assumption), and given that I have a flexible schedule, minimizing cost would be a high priority.
Old Jul 28, 2009, 2:56 pm

Programs: Support the Tyrants Travel Club
Originally Posted by AAJetMan
Please advise.
BKK-DEL-BKK
DEL-KTM-DEL
DEL-DAC-DEL (or DEL-KTM-DAC-DEL if this is less expensive than the 2 round trips)

I will be arriving in Bangkok via a OneWorld Alliance Round The World ticket, then going BKK-Delhi on a ticket I'll have to buy, then returning to BKK to continue my RTW months later.

Is there an Indian-based airline (or any airline for that matter) that would offer better pricing through a "Visit Asia" (i.e "per segment") type of a pass, verses the cost of round trip tickets?

Assuming there is very little difference in safety between the airlines (correct me if you feel that is not a sound assumption), and given that I have a flexible schedule, minimizing cost would be a high priority.
If you're booking well in advance, and it sounds like you are, then round-trip tickets will probably end up a lot cheaper than passes. Not to mention that you'll also be able to choose flights based on your schedule and not one airline's schedule.

Flight passes run from 200-400 USD/segment + taxes (which can really add up), so unless you'll need to make last-minute bookings, they're probably not worth it.

If cost is your top priority, then 9W or AI/IC is probably your best bet for BKK-DEL-BKK nonstops, although I believe CX also operates on this route (more expensive). 9W service should be better than on AI, but YMMV. If connecting service is OK, then check IT (Kingfisher) as well.

For DEL-KTM-DEL, again, AI/IC and 9W. RA (Royal Nepal) is also an option, but no online booking available and I have no idea about prices.

It's probably cheaper if you can fly DEL-KTM-DAC-DEL, as fares are often the same o/w or return. You'd save yourself one segment of flying as well. BG and Z5 fly KTM-DAC, but no idea how good they are.

Good luck with your RTW. It's really a shame that 9W is not in OW, otherwise you could do a OW award for relatively little cost (except getting to DAC directly).

Also, search this forum for low cost booking sites or book your tickets with the airlines directly, but use their India site (sometimes gives a lot lower fares).
Old Jul 28, 2009, 5:22 pm
Suspended

Please advise.
BKK-DEL-BKK
DEL-KTM-DEL

I don't think any INdia based airlines have Visit Asia passes. There have been or are passes for travel within India, such as IC's dosvoer India fares.
Old Jul 28, 2009, 7:48 pm
Original Poster

Thank you for your insightful responses.
Old Jul 29, 2009, 1:37 am

I think Kingfisher has an airpass. I tried reading the website but I dont know what routing. http://flykingfisher.com/kingfisher-plus/air-pass.aspx
Old Jul 29, 2009, 3:49 am
Original Poster

Thank you for the suggestion to check Kingfisher, which indeed offers
Kingfisher Coupon Booklets.
4 segments in Kingfisher Red class (I believe that is economy?) for a "Total Fare" of 23,316INR.
However, since one coupon is used per flight number, the round-trip BKK-DEL would consume all 4 coupons given the connection in Kolkata. The airfare for the purchase of the roundtrip ticket, as opposed to the coupons, is showing as 14,768INR.

Last edited by AAJetMan; Jul 29, 2009 at 4:27 am
Old Jul 29, 2009, 8:23 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by vishal407
I think Kingfisher has an airpass. I tried reading the website but I dont know what routing. http://flykingfisher.com/kingfisher-plus/air-pass.aspx
That too is for flights within India. The OP wants to to travel to KTM and BKK. As far as I know they have never been in India.
Old Jul 29, 2009, 8:26 am
Suspended

Exclamation

Originally Posted by Yaatri
That too is for flights within India. The OP wants to to travel to KTM and BKK. As far as I know they have never been in India.
4 segments in Kingfisher Red class (I believe that is economy?) for a "Total Fare" of 23,316INR.
However, since one coupon is used per flight number, the round-trip BKK-DEL would consume all 4 coupons given the connection in Kolkata. The airfare for the purchase of the roundtrip ticket, as opposed to the coupons, is showing as 14,768INR.
Please pay attention! These passes are for travel within India only. The fare of INR 14,768 (US$305) is pretty good fare. It is lower than what I paid nearly 10 years ago, before fuel surcharge days.

Originally Posted by Terms and Conditions
Application: Journeys permitted for travel on domestic routes within India only.
Old Jul 30, 2009, 8:12 am

Programs: BA bronze, Marriott silver
Kingfisher RED class means its on IT [4 digit code] flights - these are flight routes from IT's acquisition of Air Deccan (DN).

In other words - all economy class seats, slightly less legroom, no IFE, cut down food offering (though that's the only LCC rated airline I know to even OFFER a free meal rather than make you pay for it all). Still the same cute stewardesses you find on mainline IT flights.

Kingfisher Red only operates on domestic routes. So you can't fly to BKK or elsewhere on those birds, whatever the terms and conditions on the coupon say (and they do say the coupon's valid only in India)

Old Jul 30, 2009, 12:44 pm

Programs: BA Gold (OW Emerald) & Jet Airways - Thank goodness i never got started.......most awful FF program
word of warning, Kingfisher has transformed 75% of its fleet into Kingfisher Red.

They do give you good service on Red flights as well, you get soft drinks and a snack in a box but it can be hot depending on time of day.

My other half operated a Kingfisher Red flight the other day and the breakfast was Idli sambaar but still in a box!

So Kingfisher Red is not really a Low Cost although it is priced that way!
Old Jul 30, 2009, 5:38 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by d3vski
word of warning, Kingfisher has transformed 75% of its fleet into Kingfisher Red.

They do give you good service on Red flights as well, you get soft drinks and a snack in a box but it can be hot depending on time of day.

My other half operated a Kingfisher Red flight the other day and the breakfast was Idli sambaar but still in a box!

So Kingfisher Red is not really a Low Cost although it is priced that way!
You mean hot Limca and cold samosa?
Old Jul 30, 2009, 10:30 pm
Suspended

Programs: Indian Railways Wallah Program
It's out of the way, but it's cheap. Air Asia services DAC and BKK from KUL, and is starting CCU in November. From CCU you can fly to DEL and KTM.

Air Asia also talk of have plans to serve DEL, BOM, BLR and MAA this year or early next.

On the most direct routing of BKK-DAC-DEL-KTM-BKK the KTM-BKK leg could cost as much as the rest put together.

Last edited by cj001f; Jul 30, 2009 at 10:35 pm
Old Jul 31, 2009, 6:23 am

Programs: BA bronze, Marriott silver
Originally Posted by Yaatri
You mean hot Limca and cold samosa?
I never did get anything but a small bottle of water and a tiny tray of food (small portions but much tastier than 9W somehow - different caterer?) on my last two IT red flights

When are/were they serving soda?
Old Aug 1, 2009, 9:44 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by hserus
I never did get anything but a small bottle of water and a tiny tray of food (small portions but much tastier than 9W somehow - different caterer?) on my last two IT red flights

When are/were they serving soda?
Sorry, I just made it up.
Old Aug 1, 2009, 9:53 am

Programs: Aeroplan; PriorityClub
international LCCs

AirAsia has been mentioned. Also check Air Arabia for KTM.

A good site which I once used for reference when I did a LCC RTW 2 years ago is www.whichbudget.com

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.