Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Check this out...

Search this Thread

Old Apr 3, 2009, 1:00 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold (OW Emerald) & Jet Airways - Thank goodness i never got started.......most awful FF program
Check this out...

A airline run by bangladeshi origin brits named AIR SYLHET with a Sikh Khanda as logo on the tailfin!

Made me laugh!

http://www.airliners.net/photo/Air-S...225/1507257/M/
Old Apr 3, 2009, 5:04 pm

Programs: STARS/LUMINOUS, PRIVE, FSPP, STARS, MO FAN Club, PEN Club, Bellini Club
Nice.
Old Apr 3, 2009, 11:36 pm

Programs: Delta Diamond Medallion
I am not sure why new airlines are being created when old ones have trouble surviving.
Old Apr 4, 2009, 3:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, EY Gold, HH Diamond, IHG Plat
Cool. Is this a new airline or one that was owned by some country ?
Old Apr 4, 2009, 5:01 am

Oh dearie me.

The aircraft is Icelandic registered but operated by Gadair of Spain who has wetleased it to Air Sylhet which actually holds an Austrian AOC but is owned by British citizens of Bangladeshi origin.

It will fly from Birmingham to Amritsar with a 45-minute refuelling stop in Vienna.

Having worked with this specific airframe extensively during her previous lives with Loftleidir and Ghana International, she will struggle horribly to make ATQ-VIE nonstop with a full payload.

The aircraft itself has a colourful history - originally delivered to Eastern in 1987, then served with America West, then with TAESA, then US Airways, then Loftleidir Icelandic, then Girjet (where she was impounded for months in Chad on allegations of children smuggling from Darfur by a French charity), then Ghana International and then Gadair.
Old Apr 4, 2009, 8:19 pm

Programs: QF,UA,VA
so will this aircraft be flying chartered flights from bxh-atq? and continue onto dac?, it's a bit strange I would like to find out more on the reason they've painted a Khanda on it's tail, if anyone got some info post it up.. good find d3vski
Old Apr 4, 2009, 9:11 pm

Programs: BA bronze, Marriott silver
Well if they're targeting a market that's rich in Sardars, they'd be much more inclined to choose a sikh themed symbol like the Khanda.

Transit could get complicated very quickly indeed if it flies on to DAC after that. Indian airports arent quite made for transit ..

Originally Posted by flyinsikh
so will this aircraft be flying chartered flights from bxh-atq? and continue onto dac?, it's a bit strange I would like to find out more on the reason they've painted a Khanda on it's tail, if anyone got some info post it up.. good find d3vski
Old Apr 5, 2009, 4:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I am puzzled. Sylhet is in Bangladesh and the airline is owned by Muslims, so how come the khanda on its tail?
Old Apr 5, 2009, 4:34 am

Originally Posted by lallyr
I am puzzled. Sylhet is in Bangladesh and the airline is owned by Muslims, so how come the khanda on its tail?
I think there might be a Sikh businessman partner/intrest , as a quick visit to the site of < http://customer.videcom.com/airsylhet/pickyourown.asp > reveals the Khanda and a name "Akal Air" so that justifies the reason why the Khanda is on the tailfin, and also if you read the comments on the airliners.net website, the a/c it's missing the paintscheme on it's other side so perhaps it's still in progress and maybe this aircraft in the airline's fleet will be named Akal Air & the rest carrying the name Air Sylhet ? that's my 2 cents..
cheers
Old Apr 5, 2009, 7:30 am

Air Sylhet is the name of the Austrian AOC holder in whose name the flights are operated. Akal Air is the brand name of the UK Tour Operator who is marketing the flights.
Old Apr 5, 2009, 7:44 am

Originally Posted by B747-437B
Air Sylhet is the name of the Austrian AOC holder in whose name the flights are operated. Akal Air is the brand name of the UK Tour Operator who is marketing the flights.
sweet, thanks for the info B747, case closed then .. Just going back to your previous post, you said you've worked with this frame b4 are you an aeronautical engineer? if you dont mind me asking ......

cheers...
Old Apr 5, 2009, 12:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by B747-437B
Thanks for the info. I would have thought that Akal Air would be a LCC but looking at their prices online it seems not.

Last edited by onlysuites; Apr 5, 2009 at 12:12 pm
Old Apr 6, 2009, 1:25 am

Here's some more info of the Inaugural flight < http://www.tribuneindia.com/2009/20090406/punjab.htm#15 >

Last edited by flyinsikh; Apr 6, 2009 at 1:25 am Reason: broken link

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.