Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > India-Based Airlines
Reload this Page >

BOM - Transfers, luggage check etc (cross posted)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 17, 2008, 8:35 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA MM

(No longer cross posted - deleted my post in the other forum)

Hi all,

I was hoping I could get some info/advice. I did a search before posting and here's what I found

1) Transfers from international to domestic terminals are not complicated. Wait for the transfer coach (maytake up to an hour sometimes) and get on it.

2) I'm flying on CO (BF class) from EWR to BOM and may have 3 pieces of 70 lbs each. I'm going to buy a Jet Airways or Kingfisher from BOM-HYD. I'd prefer to fly Jet because my CO flight lands at 9:00 PM and they have a flight out of domestic terminal at 3:15 AM the next day. Is there a place in the international terminal itself where I can check the luggae for my Jet flight? I found one post in my search that said I could do it - am just reconfirming it.

3) If I show my international ticket, will they allow my to check in all my luggage without paying extra baggage fees (I have no issues paying the extra baggage fee if required - just checking. It'll only cost around $100 for the excess baggage). I'll be buying my ticket in USD here before I leave.

4) Will it be better for me to fly Kingfisher instead as they are CO partner? Their timing is not very convenient (6:15 AM flight - will require me to check into a hotel overnight).

5) Will Priority Pass be accepted in any lounge in the Domestic terminal? Will any lounge be open from 10:00 PM - 3:00 AM is a better question I guess.

I'll be travelling by myself - and am assuming it is safe for me to make the transfer between the two terminals on my own as long as I take the airport transfer coach.

Thanks

Last edited by pindi; Jun 17, 2008 at 9:19 am
Old Jun 17, 2008, 8:56 am

Intl Baggage rules apply if your connection is within 24 hrs so you should be fine.

Priorty club passes work in Domestic. Check http://www.prioritypass.com/lounges/lounge-details.cfm

Are the 500 miles you get on KF worth a 3 hr extra wait at the airport for you or the hotel charge for the night and cab charges for transfer to the hotel and back... well thats your call.
Old Jun 17, 2008, 9:03 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA MM
Originally Posted by rsh913
Intl Baggage rules apply if your connection is within 24 hrs so you should be fine.

Priorty club passes work in Domestic. Check http://www.prioritypass.com/lounges/lounge-details.cfm

Are the 500 miles you get on KF worth a 3 hr extra wait at the airport for you or the hotel charge for the night and cab charges for transfer to the hotel and back... well thats your call.
Thanks rsh. I was looking at KF more for baggage transfer than 500 miles. I have booked a room at the Sheraton (not cheap at all). So money is not the issue. I would liek to get to HYD asap and hence may cancel my room to take the 3:15 flight.

I wonder if Jet will allow me to check my bags in the international terminal itself. That would definitely make this a whole lot easier!!!
Old Jun 17, 2008, 2:29 pm

Programs: AA (Plt Pro; 1.5 MM)
Originally Posted by pindi

1) Transfers from international to domestic terminals are not complicated...
True.

2) I'm flying on CO (BF class) from EWR to BOM and may have 3 pieces of 70 lbs each. I'm going to buy a Jet Airways or Kingfisher from BOM-HYD. I'd prefer to fly Jet because my CO flight lands at 9:00 PM and they have a flight out of domestic terminal at 3:15 AM the next day. Is there a place in the international terminal itself where I can check the luggae for my Jet flight? I found one post in my search that said I could do it - am just reconfirming it.

4) Will it be better for me to fly Kingfisher instead as they are CO partner? Their timing is not very convenient (6:15 AM flight - will require me to check into a hotel overnight).
Both are good airlines. For your stated plans, Jet's time is better.

However, My personal preference in such situation is to break the journey and get a night's sleep before continuing. These flights are long and uncomfortable enough, why do you want to then stay up all night and fly again and arrive dead at your destination? Upon arrival in BOM, go to a hotel, catch some sleep, and fly to HYD next afternoon, or later.

3) If I show my international ticket, will they allow my to check in all my luggage without paying extra baggage fees (I have no issues paying the extra baggage fee if required - just checking. It'll only cost around $100 for the excess baggage). I'll be buying my ticket in USD here before I leave.
If your domestic and international flights are on the same ticket then absolutely. Otherwise, it is a matter of chance and the ticket agent's mood. But no harm in trying.

I'll be travelling by myself - and am assuming it is safe for me to make the transfer between the two terminals on my own as long as I take the airport transfer coach. Thanks.
BOM gets lots of international flights late night and most people then travel to city or suburbs. If travel is safe enough for them, it is certainly safe from one airport terminal to another.
Old Jun 17, 2008, 9:04 pm

Programs: UA Lifetime Gold, IHG Gold, Marriott Gold
Make sure you use the airport transfer coach in the night. Do not use taxis.
Some taxi drivers may try to rob you, especially with three pieces of luggage.

BOM is no longer safe for any one in the night, if travelling from international airport to domestic or vice-versa.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.