fare wars and AI BLR-SFO

Search this Thread

Old Apr 19, 2008, 10:58 am
Original Poster

fare wars and AI BLR-SFO

http://in.rediff.com/money/2008/apr/19fare.htm
Old Apr 19, 2008, 4:34 pm

Programs: AA (Plt Pro; 1.5 MM)
Good for those starting in India. Too bad we are not seeing the same effect ex US cities!

As I asked in another thread I, starting in ORD, need to visit Tokyo, HK, and Delhi sometime next year. Fares from Chicago are not encouraging to say the least.

News like this makes me wonder if I should just buy Chicago-Delhi ticket and buy a separate Tokyo and HK ticket from India. Which Indian portal will allow me to check Delhi-Tokyo ticket with a stop in HK?
Old Apr 19, 2008, 4:50 pm

Programs: Delta SkyMiles (DM), Hilton Honors Diamond, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by aktchi
News like this makes me wonder if I should just buy Chicago-Delhi ticket and buy a separate Tokyo and HK ticket from India. Which Indian portal will allow me to check Delhi-Tokyo ticket with a stop in HK?
Are you doing DEL-NRT-HKG-DEL? If that's the case, you might want to fly CX because they fly to both of those cities, and that above article says they'll have deals from DEL at least to HKG.
Old Apr 19, 2008, 5:57 pm
Original Poster

I am not sure about your particular route but I justed purchased a RTW star alliance fare

ORD-HKG-SIN-BOM-FRA-ORD for about 9k$ in C for travel this june.
Old Apr 19, 2008, 9:50 pm

Oh, I didn't think about RTW fares. Your profile shows AA as a program. You could try the oneworld Explorer. That link shows for 3 continents, originating in the USA, cost in Y is USD$3900 and J is $7500. Not too cost-effective in Y, but if you're traveling in J, then it's very cost-effective, seeing as how a JFK-HKG roundtrip on CX costs about $9K in fare class C.
Old Apr 20, 2008, 9:53 am

Thanks rsh913 and G-man82. Sadly, I am very much economy class.

I am aware of RTW fares but had the impression they are cost-effective only when you want to visit many more cities, eg, if I had wanted to do ORD-LON-ROM-IST-DEL-BKK-Bali-HKG-NRT-PEK-Russia-ORD. No, that's not in the cards in near future, but it is fun to dream.

While I can adjust the order of cities for exceptional fares, the ideal order is ORD-DEL-HKG-NRT-ORD or ORD-NRT-HKG-DEL-ORD.

As I don't see any great fares ex ORD, it does look interesting to consider ORD-DEL rt and a separate ticket from DEL to NRT w/stop in HKG (probably on Cathay).
Old Apr 20, 2008, 11:22 am

Yeah i'm an economy class traveler too and have had to do similar runs. My choice has been separate tickets. Just beware of something though. If you're going to travel AA and CX and you want to earn miles, you might have to buy the more expensive CX tickets (class YBH only) to earn AA miles. I'd suggest booking this trip then on the AA website because I think they'll display CX fares then that do qualify for mileage.
Old Apr 20, 2008, 3:52 pm

G-man82: I thought I had replied to your post (#7) but my reply is not there so I may have hit the close button instead of post. Anyway, please forgive me if a duplicate does show up. I just wanted to add that going via aa.com is a good idea anyway, because that is the most reliable way to discover when other airlines' flights are available as AA codeshares.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.