Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > India-Based Airlines
Reload this Page >

Need Booking Help on Indian Airlines - IC

Need Booking Help on Indian Airlines - IC

Old Jul 24, 07, 10:33 am
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: LAX_AMS_MNL
Programs: AS MVP, AA EXP - 1MM, BAEC BRZ, BVY GLD, Hilton DIA, Hyatt GLB
Posts: 679
Question Need Booking Help on Indian Airlines - IC

Im having a hard time figuring out how to book an Indian Airline flight.

Im looking to book the direct BLR-MLE on 16th of December coming back MLE-BLR on 23rd of December.

ITA and other sites quote a fare of 427.50 USD with a fare code of WE3M.

However, these sites cant book it and keeps telling me to book it on ICs website. But every time I go to their website it seems it wont let me book International flights.

How do I book this flight?
Do I call Indian Airlines in India?
Is there still Fare Discrimination for foreigners?
Is this the cheapest fare?

Thanks for the input.


Drew
KL808 is offline  
Old Jul 24, 07, 10:42 am
  #2  
cpx
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: 99654
Programs: Many
Posts: 6,448
you could try:
http://www.indian-airlines.nic.in/scripts/op_gsas.aspx

or talk to a local travel agent.
cpx is offline  
Old Jul 24, 07, 11:46 am
  #3  
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: BOM-SIN-EWR
Programs: UA*G (1K again), Sixt Plat, *was*: SQ QPP01 & SK EBS/EBG, LH SEN, AA EXP, 9wPlat
Posts: 8,392
Originally Posted by KL808 View Post
Im having a hard time figuring out how to book an Indian Airline flight.

Im looking to book the direct BLR-MLE on 16th of December coming back MLE-BLR on 23rd of December.

ITA and other sites quote a fare of 427.50 USD with a fare code of WE3M.

However, these sites can’t book it and keeps telling me to book it on IC’s website. But every time I go to their website it seems it won’t let me book International flights.

How do I book this flight?
Do I call Indian Airlines in India?
Is there still Fare Discrimination for foreigners?
Is this the cheapest fare?

Thanks for the input.


Drew
The IC website (will be merged with AI's) doesn't show any foreign destinations. http://www.indianairlines.in/home.asp

You can call them, or if you have a company or individual sponsoring you, they can arrange the ticket, as there *still* appears to be fare discrimination for foreigners, especially when they see your foreign credit card!

Thus, book through a TA. If you need one, PM me, and I can direct you.

ITA usually gives you the cheapest fares, although not always some special airline website internet-only fares, like LH and SK might have online...
SuperFlyBoy is offline  
Old Jul 27, 07, 5:54 am
  #4  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: AU
Programs: former Olympic Airways Gold (yeah - still proud of that!)
Posts: 14,228
We had the same problem booking IC flights earlier this year - in fact the lowest fares we could find were via IC's website (much cheaper even than what our TA could do and we have a really good one).

In the end we simply called the IC GSA in Australia and the ticketing was done over the phone (even for an 'internet fare') and we got our tickets the next day. Couldn't have been easier.

Looks like IC has GSAs in most countries (details via their website).

Regards

LME ff etc etc
LHR/MEL/Europe FF is offline  
Old Feb 2, 09, 11:14 am
  #5  
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: EWR/JFK
Programs: AA GLD 1.xMM, MAR SLV, HH DMND, IHG PLT
Posts: 761
Question

I came across this old link and have some questions on the very low internet fares offered by IC for domestic routes in India.

1. Will they accept my US based credit card for online payment?

2. If not, how do I get these net fares? Someone mentioned contacting a IC GSA in the USA, is this any (India focused) travel agent or someone else?



Yes, I know about the lack of service on IC from experience so prefer not to go off on that tangent in the above questions. Thanks in advance for all your help.
miles_navigator is offline  
Old Feb 2, 09, 12:49 pm
  #6  
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: ORD
Programs: AA lifetime gold, United Mileage Plus silver, Marriott Platinum Elite
Posts: 503
Originally Posted by miles_navigator View Post
I came across this old link and have some questions on the very low internet fares offered by IC for domestic routes in India.

1. Will they accept my US based credit card for online payment?

2. If not, how do I get these net fares? Someone mentioned contacting a IC GSA in the USA, is this any (India focused) travel agent or someone else?



Yes, I know about the lack of service on IC from experience so prefer not to go off on that tangent in the above questions. Thanks in advance for all your help.
I just did some checking (though ended up booking on KF) and there doesnt seem to be any discrimination on price in Rs vs USD.

You can check on the website and pick different currencies and they will quote in rupees and then convert to dollars in the next line.
cover point is offline  
Old Feb 3, 09, 9:22 am
  #7  
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: London
Programs: AA EXP, SPG Plt
Posts: 2,590
I've had better luck myself using cleartrip.com or travelocity.co.in. Cleartrip usually has lower prices I've found - I've booked that exact flight above from BLR-MLE for < 200 USD.
BobbySteel is offline  
Old Feb 3, 09, 9:25 am
  #8  
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: London
Programs: AA EXP, SPG Plt
Posts: 2,590
Looking now, I can actually get cheaper fares on Cleartrip than on the IC website in some cases. YMMV.
BobbySteel is offline  
Old Feb 3, 09, 7:09 pm
  #9  
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: EWR/JFK
Programs: AA GLD 1.xMM, MAR SLV, HH DMND, IHG PLT
Posts: 761
Originally Posted by BobbySteel View Post
I've had better luck myself using cleartrip.com or travelocity.co.in. Cleartrip usually has lower prices I've found - I've booked that exact flight above from BLR-MLE for < 200 USD.
Thanks!
miles_navigator is offline  
Old Feb 3, 09, 10:24 pm
  #10  
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Amsterdam, Auckland, Vancouver
Programs: BA GGL, SPG Ambassador
Posts: 120
Use a third-party agent website.
The fare increment for a ticket in the same bucket will generally only be a few rupees more, and very often you'll find a better fare on another airline or a bucket that IC aren't booking through their own website.

http://www.cleartrip.com is one of the best for Indian international and domestic routes.
dogtanian is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread